Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Carnivore pets and their diets

2»

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    The idea that what can be good for people (vegetarian/vegan diet) should be good for any other being is horribly, horribly false.
    @seeker242 I think you are taking the natural versus unnatural way out of context. More and more we find that the more we stray from what had been a natural life for humans for many many thousands of years, the more we find it makes us unhealthy. Sure, you probably won't drop dead if you eat a diet full of processed food but you won't be healthy, either, not nearly as healthy as you could be eating a diet more based on natural foods. And yes, natural foods are better, and healthier, than man-made chemical ridden unnatural processed foods. There really is no debate there. Animals are no different. They have an ideal diet for the development of a healthy body and mind, just like we do. What if our government decided the man-made stuff was what was good for us and that all natural foods had to go? Would that be fair considering what is truly best for us?

I just really abhor when people put their own human logic and philosophies and religions onto animals. When you take an animal into your life (just like a child) you are promising to do the best *by them* not by yourself. Dogs and cats and fish etc don't understand philosophies. If the vegan cat were given the option, I can about guarantee you they would go for a pile of fresh fish over vegan kibble. Because it is their nature and we should only be taking them as pets if we are willing to work with that and not push our own beliefs onto them. I do the same with my kids. I do the absolute best I can to honor who they are, no matter how different it is from me. Why would I do different for my pets?
    MaryAnne
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    MaryAnne said:

seeker242 said:

MaryAnne said:

seeker242 said:

I'm sorry, but like I said before, what is natural is irrelevant.

Natural is irrelevant? Really, you mean that?
    I'd like for you to explain that, please.

It's a matter of using correct logic and valid reasoning. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

"An appeal to nature is an argument or rhetorical tactic in which it is proposed that "a thing is good because it is 'natural', or bad because it is 'unnatural'"

This type of reasoning is inherently flawed and illogical. "It's natural" just isn't good enough, as it doesn't prove anything either way. No valid conclusion can be drawn from simply the statements "it's natural" or "it's unnatural".
    Citta said:

But we are not talking about ' scientific analysis of nutrional components

That is what I'm talking about! I also disagree with the rest of what you said.

@seeker242

Well then, let's take your theory (the total disregard of 'nature' and 'natural') and gather up ALL animals, both domesticated and wild, and keep them in pens, cages, behind high walls, in limited ponds and coves, in barricaded areas of ocean and forests, and just well, you know, feed them whatever WE think is acceptable to the codes and ethics of our religions and political fantasies, and just "keep" them that way.

Good way to thin the herds and get animal population under control... because eventually 80% of them will surely die. And those that live- well, they'll live a completely trapped and unnatural life at the hands of humans who decided to perpetrate this ungodly, unholy, unnatural, un-compassionate, passive-aggressive violence upon them- for their own good, don'tchaknow. Yeah, this could really work!

Christ, I hope I'm dead before any of this happens.

Clearly all the remaining Blue Whales will be rounded up and kept in a giant pen by vegans and denied the krill that forms their diet. Instead they will be feed lots of lovely tofu. For their own good. If they dont actually die its ok. Sharks will be introduced to the joys of TVP. Tigers will be fed on soyburgers and encouraged to take up crochet.

See, what underlies all this is a fear of the natural. Bloodfear. Fear of being embodied. The desire for some kind of platonic idealistic existence.
    My first teacher CTR. loved the Native American name 'Sitting Bull ' because of its earthiness..its acceptance of the earth and of the nature of things ..its sitting solidly on the soil.

MaryAnneTheEccentric
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    seeker242 said:

No, not in the world of animals (other than human).
    MaryAnneriverflowTheEccentric
    You know, seeker242, I suddenly had this vision that you are attempting to create Stepford dogs and cats and parrots...
    riverflow
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Citta said:

That is the OP! And it's quite obvious that these people had no idea what they are doing! No reasonable conclusion can be discerned from this particular situation Other than "Feeding a cat only potatoes and pasta is bad". But, no one who is educated about feeding a cat vegan even does that to begin with!
    MaryAnne said:

@seeker242

Well then, let's take your theory (the total disregard of 'nature' and 'natural') and gather up ALL animals, both domesticated and wild, and keep them in pens, cages, behind high walls, in limited ponds and coves, in barricaded areas of ocean and forests, and just well, you know, feed them whatever WE think is acceptable to the codes and ethics of our religions and political fantasies, and just "keep" them that way.

Good way to thin the herds and get animal population under control... because eventually 80% of them will surely die.

All of this is what is called a "strawman".

"The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position."

Making strawman arguments is not logical or reasonable either!
    karasti said:

The idea that what can be good for people (vegetarian/vegan diet) should be good for any other being is horribly, horribly false.

The idea that it's bad because it's unnatural is horribly, horribly false!

Citta said:

Clearly all the remaining Blue Whales will be rounded up and kept in a giant pen by vegans and denied the krill that forms their diet. Instead they will be feed lots of lovely tofu. For their own good. If they dont actually die its ok. Sharks will be introduced to the joys of TVP. Tigers will be fed on soyburgers and encouraged to take up crochet.

Strawman number 2!
    vinlyn said:

seeker242 said:

No, not in the world of animals (other than human).
    It is when considering scientific analysis of an animals nutrient requirements.
    You know, seeker242, I suddenly had this vision that you are attempting to create Stepford dogs and cats and parrots...
    That's because you like jumping to conclusions! Not exactly a logical thing to do...

The problem is, you're always talking about logic. Your logic, which often appears to be absolutely rigid.
    riverflow
    vinlyn said:

The problem is, you're always talking about logic. Your logic, which often appears to be absolutely rigid.

Appeal to nature reasoning and strawman making is, and will always, be illogical regardless of any particular person. Logic is inherently rigid, that is how it works! 2 + 2 will always equal 4 regardless of who is doing or not doing the math and 2 + 2 will never equal 5. That's quite rigid, it's supposed to be. When 2 + 2 can equal 4, or maybe 5 or 6 sometimes, the whole calculator becomes useless! Might as well just throw it in the garbage!
    Okay, toss it in the garbage. After 2 intelligent and logical people don't always come to the same conclusion.
    vinlyn said:

Okay, toss it in the garbage. After 2 intelligent and logical people don't always come to the same conclusion.

There were at least 3 ways to do my recent kidney surgeon. Each had its advantages and each had its disadvantages. 3 different, talented, logical surgeons could have potentially come to 3 different conclusions on which procedure was best.

vinlyn said:

If 20 or even 200 logical people were asked something as simple as "Is something good or bad because it's natural or unnatural"? all of them would say the same thing. Logical people do not use illogical though processes, that is precisely what makes them logical to begin with!

• CittaCitta Veteran

Appeal to nature reasoning and strawman making is, and will always, be illogical regardless of any particular person. Logic is inherently rigid, that is how it works! 2 + 2 will always equal 4 regardless of who is doing or not doing the math and 2 + 2 will never equal 5. That's quite rigid, it's supposed to be. When 2 + 2 can equal 4, or maybe 5 or 6 sometimes, the whole calculator becomes useless! Might as well just throw it in the garbage!

All of which neatly sidesteps the issue. Which is the utter cruelty and violence perpetuated against carnivorous animals by locking them up in houses and apartments and giving them no choice but a diet entirely different to that which their bodies are evolved to utilise.
    A decision made FOR them by another species with an entirely different evolutionary history.
    THAT is what the thread is about.

JainarayanMaryAnne
    edited July 2013
    seeker242 said:

vinlyn said:

If 20 or even 200 logical people were asked something as simple as "Is something good or bad because it's natural or unnatural"? all of them would say the same thing. Logical people do not use illogical though processes, that is precisely what makes them logical to begin with!

Buddhism teaches us to restrain our ego, also.

Perhaps it might be wise to consider using sentences such as, "My logic tells me that..."

My logic tells me that dogs and cats and parrots have evolved through the ages eating a particular kind of diet. Today they are living in a world (not natural) where their diets may need some supplements to get the natural nutrition they might be receiving in the wild.

My parrot can't fly around in the South American tropics and eat the natural foods he would normally. So his food sources contains things that supplement natural ingredients. But since parrots eat a vegetarian diet, it would be illogical to switch them to a meat diet. Just as it would be illogical to switch cats and dogs to a vegetarian diet.

That is my logic on the topic. But, I will follow your advice, seeker242, and say that my logic is THE logic, and anyone differing from my logic is wrong. :p

• The OP was being (directly and succinctly) addressed by several of us here; ALL of us backed up our opinions in some way with various explanations about how intentionally feeding carnivorous animals strictly vegetarian diets seemed cruel, unnatural and harmful.
    Some of us cited scientific studies or paraphrased them. Some of us gave anecdotal examples or referenced websites pertaining to the OP.
    You, @seeker242, disagree with it all. OK, fine.

But to seriously accuse everyone of being illogical or merely tossing strawman fallacies at you, with no logic/science or nature to back it up.... is just plain wrong. Frankly, saying "Nature is irrelevant" was THE most illogical thing written in this thread- period. :::SMH:::

As for strawman fallacies, sometimes it takes one to know (show) one...
    vinlyn
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited July 2013
    @Seeker242

You want to stick to logic? Great.

What is the single best LOGICAL reason you can come up with for feeding a naturally carnivorous animal a strictly vegan diet? Stick to logic please.

Definition of logic (n)

Bing Dictionary

1. theory of reasoning: the branch of philosophy that deals with the theory of deductive and inductive arguments and aims to distinguish good from bad reasoning

2. system or instance of reasoning: any system of, or an instance of, reasoning and inference

3. sensible argument and thought: sensible rational thought and argument rather than ideas that are influenced by emotion or whim

I'm afraid your 'logic' is based on emotions and whim, @Seeker242.
    Citta said:

All of which neatly sidesteps the issue. Which is the utter cruelty and violence perpetuated against carnivorous animals by locking them up in houses and apartments and giving them no choice

Sorry, my friends cat is doing just fine. It's quite a happy cat. He would completely disagree with you here.
    vinlyn said:

Just as it would be illogical to switch cats and dogs to a vegetarian diet.

That is my logic on the topic. But, I will follow your advice, seeker242, and say that my logic is THE logic, and anyone differing from my logic is wrong. :p

The science says otherwise with regards to dogs. With regards to cats, more science is needed. You misunderstand what "logic" means. "Logic" is not a conclusion, it is the method in which a conclusion is formed. Yes, you should follow my advice and use a logical though process to come to conclusions!
    MaryAnne said:

The OP was being (directly and succinctly) addressed by several of us here; ALL of us backed up our opinions in some way with various explanations about how intentionally feeding carnivorous animals strictly vegetarian diets seemed cruel, unnatural and harmful.
    Some of us cited scientific studies or paraphrased them. Some of us gave anecdotal examples or referenced websites pertaining to the OP.

But to seriously accuse everyone of being illogical or merely tossing strawman fallacies at you, with no logic/science or nature to back it up.... is just plain wrong. Frankly, saying "Nature is irrelevant" was THE most illogical thing written in this thread- period. :::SMH:::

It just takes reasoning skills to determine what is illogical, which some people are seriously lacking! I don't disagree with the actual scientific studies that were cited because they show the cats were not unhealthy. There you go again, misrepresenting...No surprise here!

seeker242 said:

vinlyn said:

Just as it would be illogical to switch cats and dogs to a vegetarian diet.

The science says otherwise with regards to dogs. With regards to cats, more science is needed. You misunderstand what "logic" means. "Logic" is not a conclusion, it is the method in which a conclusion is formed. Yes, you should follow my advice and use a logical though process to come to conclusions!
    MaryAnne said:

The OP was being (directly and succinctly) addressed by several of us here; ALL of us backed up our opinions in some way with various explanations about how intentionally feeding carnivorous animals strictly vegetarian diets seemed cruel, unnatural and harmful.

It just takes reasoning skills to determine what is illogical, which some people are seriously lacking! I don't disagree with the actual scientific studies that were cited because they show the cats were not unhealthy. There you go again, misrepresenting...No surprise here!

I suggest you stop talking down to people.

MaryAnneTheEccentric
    edited July 2013
    MaryAnne said:

What is the single best LOGICAL reason you can come up with for feeding a naturally carnivorous animal a strictly vegan diet? Stick to logic please.

I'm afraid your 'logic' is based on emotions and whim, @Seeker242.

I'm afraid you are again misrepresenting. Another surprise! Well, not really...

The idea that it's bad because it's unnatural, is not and never will be logical or reasonable. This is the logic I'm using. It's unequivocally correct and always will be regardless of what anyone believes or doesn't believe. It's as certain as 2 + 2 = 4.

edited July 2013
    vinlyn said:

I suggest you stop talking down to people.

I suggest you do the same! I suggest MaryAnne does the same also!
    TheEccentric
This discussion has been closed.