Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Will a japanese take out cook their meals the same way they cook them at home (for themselves)

Its been said that the japanese have the healthiest diet...

Does that mean i can eat a japanese take out every night??

Comments

• TakuanTakuan Veteran
    What are you asking exactly? The Japanese do have one of the healthiest diets, but Japanese food in Japan isn't quite the same as Japanese food in America.
  • Takuan said:

What are you asking exactly? The Japanese do have one of the healthiest diets, but Japanese food in Japan isn't quite the same as Japanese food in America.

Youve answered it. Thats all i wanted to kno really..

How do they cook their food in japan then?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    better.
  • federica said:

better.

• robotrobot Veteran
    I thought that the Japanese had problems with high blood pressure and hypertension from too much salt in their diet.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, I believe that it's because they have been affected by western tastes (fast food emporiums opening up has tipped the balance of their healthy diet into that of many unhealthy-eating westerners....)
  • ph0kinph0kin http://klingonbuddhist.wordpress.com Explorer
    As my wife is Japanese, I noticed she eats a lot more vegetables proportionally and less processed foods. Her blood pressure is much lower than mine, and she rarely gets a cold.

She eats plenty, but the quality of the food is better (since it's home-cooked, not processed) and proportionally has less meat/starches. If you're looking for a secret, that's probably it.
    riverflow
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    federica said:

No, I believe that it's because they have been affected by western tastes (fast food emporiums opening up has tipped the balance of their healthy diet into that of many unhealthy-eating westerners....)

So then we're talking about the traditional Japanese diet when we say "the Japanese diet is healthier."

I think that's an important distinction to make.

I didn't think the distinction needed to be made.
    When people think of, or 'nominate' a Japanese diet, perceptions immediately go to fish, seaweed and 'Bento Box' small portions.... kind of thing...
  • CittaCitta Veteran

federica said:

So then we're talking about the traditional Japanese diet when we say "the Japanese diet is healthier."

I think that's an important distinction to make.

Healthier than what ?
    Healthier than the 'Supersize Me ' diet, thats for sure.
    But healthier than any well-balanced diet ? It depends what you measure.
    Japanese people on a traditional diet for example show significantly higher levels of bladder cancer per head of the population than those on a western diet. But lower levels of heart disease.
    The reasons are no doubt complex.
    Invincible_summerMaryAnne
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Japanese food is definitely healthy, I also suggest looking into Mediterranean food, imo it can be much, much healthier than Japanese (not saying Japanese isn't healthy, of course) And I often like to see what dishes from both cultures work together. You'd be surprised at how well they can cooperate on your palette.

But, no. Take-out food is rarely ever as well-prepared as a home cooked meal. Sorry :(

Man this thread really gave me a hankering for some Udon.