Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Torn between Buddhism and Hinduism.

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
A few months back, I adopted Hinduism, after practicing Buddhism for about a year. I was drawn to the history, the deities, philosophy and rituals.

I absolutely love (and will probably always love) Shiva, Ganesha, Mahadevi, Hanuman, Narasimha, puja, aartis, meditation and the stories of the Ramayana and Bhagavad Gita. However...

While I love the deities, the practices, philosophy and stories, I feel as if I'm still missing something. Not like how I was missing something when I was practicing Buddhism, but like I'm not fully devoted to my Hindu practice; and feeling as if I will never be. I have this feeling of mixing many practices to the point that I feel as if I'm making a mockery of the Sanatana Dharma.

I'm not leaving Hinduism as of yet. I still go to temple (and probably will still go even if I stop identifying as such) and will always love the deities and will perform puja for them (once I start doing home pujas). What I am going to do is re-evaluate my beliefs and see if Hinduism is really right for me.

I've also started to feel the pull back to the Buddhadharma. I did practice it by itself for a while, and still do by means of syncreticism. I suppose I could find a teacher and practice Shingon (as it mixes many Hindu elements with Buddhism), but that is near impossible in the U.S.

I could give Tibetan Buddhism another chance, but I still have many issues with it's leadership, strict orthodoxy to lineage, and controversy for a figure who shall not be named.

I'm at a crossroads of two traditions with rich histories, practices and rituals. I love the Buddha, Bodhsattvas, and Gods; but I'm not sure if I'm getting the full spiritual package. Should I just pick one and be over it? Continue to mix the two? Or just relax and let whatever happens, happen?

By the way, if it is needed, here are my core beliefs:

-There is an infinite reality we call "God". The deities from the world's many religions are faces we have given it to try to know it better. This could probably be summed up as "Henotheism".

-Transtheism is my personal concept of God. To me, God is impersonal, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to get to know it.

-Knowledge is HIGHLY important. Possibly more than devotion. Although I certainly do have my devotion.

-Rituals, practices, meditation, prayer, etc., are our expressions of trying to know God.

-Living a good life and compassion are more important than obsessing over an afterlife.

-Speaking of which, I do believe in an afterlife of sorts (as well as reincarnation/rebirth), but it is not the most important part of my practice.

-I believe in Karma, but in a cause-and-effect sense; not as a cosmic judge.

-Life and the universe are just how they are, and we are simply along for the ride. There is nothing we can do to change that fact, but we can try to make the best of it.

-I'm 100% non-dualistic.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Comments

• DaivaDaiva Veteran
    My beliefs are similar to yours. And I have accepted to believe in everything. I bounced around in different sanghas, and just couldnt fit in. I go to one now which is rather progressive and doesn't have a bunch of rules and doesn't tell me what I am doing (in terms of practice) wrong or thinking is wrong. We just stick to the core beliefs of the 4NT and 8FP - and I am free to bring in a little Ganesha and Lakshmi into my life if I so choose. I do have a Buddhist mediation teacher who guides me in my practice - and again, there is no right or wrong. There are certain things I wish to learn form her, but I don't expect to learn everything from her. i am free to learn other traditions from others, and it's fine. The sangha invites teachers from various traditions, so everyone is really on their own path - taking what works for them. I still go to workshops and guest teachers at other sanghas.
    I think it's ok to walk your own path - it works for me and many others.
    Some like the strict orthodoxy and require a lineage, I thought at one point that was what I needed, but in the end it wasn't right for me.
    Who's to say which one is the "right path."
    My form of the middle way is to respect all the paths and follw the ones that speak to my heart. Sometimes the path changes and readjusts a bit, but I am always moving forward. I jusr don't worry about it so much anymore.
    Like you said, my main priority is living a good and compassionate life. Doesn't realy matter which practice helps me to achieve that.
    DaftChris
  • There is a kind of pull or a push from the universe. She wants us to commit and dive into a path.

For many years i skirted the edges of various spiritual groups, ideologies.

Sooner or later you are called to jump, to commit and its very difficult because in a way we don't want to lose ourselves, our comfortable ground. We are comfortable where we are and we enjoy this comfortabme distance.

I avoided teachers, sanghas, even sitting. Because i liked where i was.

And then bam. I had to make the move. I had to leap into the unknown chasm.

I had to toss buddhism, all relgions, philosophy, culture, class, race, sex, everything.

To reach the core of what i am.

We all have to do it,

My advice is to jump full hearted without any fear into anything. Whatever it is just die into it, give it everything you have.

And forget about results just do it for the sake of doing it.

Nothing else will be satisfying and you will forever be haunted by the what ifs. So do it.
    riverflowDaftChrisCinorjer
  • Any thoughts, anyone?
    No.
    I am a Buddhist.

Sorry, just being playful.

You are just playing? Dabbling? What exactly is the point of your diversity of expression and beliefs? It does not seem to be working for you?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Daiva said:

My beliefs are similar to yours. And I have accepted to believe in everything. I bounced around in different sanghas, and just couldnt fit in. I go to one now which is rather progressive and doesn't have a bunch of rules and doesn't tell me what I am doing (in terms of practice) wrong or thinking is wrong. We just stick to the core beliefs of the 4NT and 8FP - and I am free to bring in a little Ganesha and Lakshmi into my life if I so choose. I do have a Buddhist mediation teacher who guides me in my practice - and again, there is no right or wrong. There are certain things I wish to learn form her, but I don't expect to learn everything from her. i am free to learn other traditions from others, and it's fine. The sangha invites teachers from various traditions, so everyone is really on their own path - taking what works for them. I still go to workshops and guest teachers at other sanghas.
    I think it's ok to walk your own path - it works for me and many others.
    Some like the strict orthodoxy and require a lineage, I thought at one point that was what I needed, but in the end it wasn't right for me.
    Who's to say which one is the "right path."
    My form of the middle way is to respect all the paths and follw the ones that speak to my heart. Sometimes the path changes and readjusts a bit, but I am always moving forward. I jusr don't worry about it so much anymore.
    Like you said, my main priority is living a good and compassionate life. Doesn't realy matter which practice helps me to achieve that.

Very nice!

• jlljll Veteran
    if you think Buddhism is confusing, try hinduism.
    DaftChris said:

A few months back, I adopted Hinduism, after practicing Buddhism for about a year. I was drawn to the history, the deities, philosophy and rituals.

I absolutely love (and will probably always love) Shiva, Ganesha, Mahadevi, Hanuman, Narasimha, puja, aartis, meditation and the stories of the Ramayana and Bhagavad Gita. However...

While I love the deities, the practices, philosophy and stories, I feel as if I'm still missing something. Not like how I was missing something when I was practicing Buddhism, but like I'm not fully devoted to my Hindu practice; and feeling as if I will never be. I have this feeling of mixing many practices to the point that I feel as if I'm making a mockery of the Sanatana Dharma.

I'm not leaving Hinduism as of yet. I still go to temple (and probably will still go even if I stop identifying as such) and will always love the deities and will perform puja for them (once I start doing home pujas). What I am going to do is re-evaluate my beliefs and see if Hinduism is really right for me.

I've also started to feel the pull back to the Buddhadharma. I did practice it by itself for a while, and still do by means of syncreticism. I suppose I could find a teacher and practice Shingon (as it mixes many Hindu elements with Buddhism), but that is near impossible in the U.S.

I could give Tibetan Buddhism another chance, but I still have many issues with it's leadership, strict orthodoxy to lineage, and controversy for a figure who shall not be named.

I'm at a crossroads of two traditions with rich histories, practices and rituals. I love the Buddha, Bodhsattvas, and Gods; but I'm not sure if I'm getting the full spiritual package. Should I just pick one and be over it? Continue to mix the two? Or just relax and let whatever happens, happen?

By the way, if it is needed, here are my core beliefs:

-There is an infinite reality we call "God". The deities from the world's many religions are faces we have given it to try to know it better. This could probably be summed up as "Henotheism".

-Transtheism is my personal concept of God. To me, God is impersonal, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to get to know it.

-Knowledge is HIGHLY important. Possibly more than devotion. Although I certainly do have my devotion.

-Rituals, practices, meditation, prayer, etc., are our expressions of trying to know God.

-Living a good life and compassion are more important than obsessing over an afterlife.

-Speaking of which, I do believe in an afterlife of sorts (as well as reincarnation/rebirth), but it is not the most important part of my practice.

-I believe in Karma, but in a cause-and-effect sense; not as a cosmic judge.

-Life and the universe are just how they are, and we are simply along for the ride. There is nothing we can do to change that fact, but we can try to make the best of it.

-I'm 100% non-dualistic.

Any thoughts, anyone?

JainarayanCinorjer
  • I'm with @Misecmisc1. Fingers pointing at the moon.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Florian said:

I'm with @Misecmisc1. Fingers pointing at the moon.

If I can muse a little..what always seems to be missed in that metaphor is that there actually IS a moon.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited August 2013
    DaftChris said:

Should I just pick one and be over it?
    Continue to mix the two?
    Or just relax and let whatever happens, happen?

I think in this choice of A or B / A&B / None of the above, I'm inclined toward the latter.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    lobster said:

Any thoughts, anyone?
    No.
    I am a Buddhist.

Sorry, just being playful.

You are just playing? Dabbling? What exactly is the point of your diversity of expression and beliefs? It does not seem to be working for you?

You could call it "dabbling". I call it trying to find my spiritual home and me being called by two wonderful traditions. I'm not orthodox in anyway shape or form, but I don't want to make a mockery of any practice.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    If it makes any difference to your eventual choice it might help you to know a very wide section of Hinduism does not accept the possibility of converting to Hinduism anyway. They see it as fixed, as in fact part of the caste system. According to this view no one can change caste, and if you are born into a non- Hindu family you are ' achhoot '... untouchable.
    If you doubt this try entering many of the major temples in South Indian.
    Hope that helps.
  • Citta said:

Florian said:

I'm with @Misecmisc1. Fingers pointing at the moon.

If I can muse a little..what always seems to be missed in that metaphor is that there actually IS a moon.
    Okay. Fingers pointing at the same truth. Roads to Rome etc.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I am not analysing the metaphor itself. Its as good as any other metaphor.

I am saying that the use of the metaphor itself usually concentrates on the subjective..the ' finger ' but what gives 'the finger ' meaning is the moon. The moon that the finger isn't.
  • Citta said:

If it makes any difference to your eventual choice it might help you to know a very wide section of Hinduism does not accept the possibility of converting to Hinduism anyway. They see it as fixed, as in fact part of the caste system. According to this view no one can change caste, and if you are born into a non- Hindu family you are ' achhoot '... untouchable.
    If you doubt this try entering many of the major temples in South Indian.
    Hope that helps.

This is unfortunately true, in that many Indian Hindus equate religion with ethnicity, that is, you have to be born Hindu. And many temples do prohibit non-Indian Hindus. Fortunately I've run into this sort of thing only on the internet. Every Indian Hindu I've met, and plenty at temple (especially the priests who are supposed to be indifferent to everyone), are amazed and delighted (when they even give it a thought) that a guy who is so white he makes Casper the Friendly Ghost look tanned, has adopted Hinduism. The point is that unfortunately there is racism, religious and ethnic bias, and snobbery in every culture.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Then I take it Jainanarayan you have not experienced the major non Vaisnav Temples of South Indian where you most definately would not gain admission.
    This is not a question of mere racism or bias or snobbery. It is because you and I and I assume DaftChris, if he is white or Afro-Caribean .....are Untouchables.
  • @DaftChris & @Daiva...

My beliefs are similar. @DaftChris, you know this very well, as you know me from elsewhere, and you know the renegade I am, much to the chagrin of people who do not pay my bills. ;)

I hybridize/syncretize/meld Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism in my own way that I do not find incompatibilities. OK, call it cherry-picking. I think most religions are cherry-picked from earlier forms and syncretizations anyway. Hinduism certainly is. I do not believe in śūnyatā as is popularly conceived. To me it simply means empty of inherent existence; that's not incompatible with almost any school of Vedanta.

I don't have a problem with ātman, because there has to be something that survives physical death to experience re-birth and eventual liberation. Otherwise nirvana is annihilation and śūnyatā is nihilism. Someone told me my beliefs are in line with Zhentong.

There's a healthy dose of cross-pollination of deities within Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism. The Nīlakaṇṭha Dhāranī aka Mahā Karuṇā Dhāranī refers to Shiva and Vishnu as much as it does to Avalokiteśvara.

The Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, the Six Perfections, the Five Precepts, and even the Triple Gem are not incompatible with Hinduism. The Triple Gem, especially if one views the Buddha as Vishnu, as one's iṣṭa-devatā, is not mutually exclusive with Hinduism. I have read passages in which the Buddha does not deny the validity or authenticity of the Vedas, but rather, what was done with them, to hold them over the heads of the common people. This is not unlike Jesus and his attempt to reform the (mis)use of the Torah by the Pharisees, the brahmins of his day, who held the Torah over the heads of the common people. Even Krishna had some disparaging remarks about the misuse of the Vedas. Sounds to me like he was paving the way for Buddha's reforms.

So in the end, I find them not incompatible. As @Daiva said "I think it's ok to walk your own path - it works for me and many others. Some like the strict orthodoxy and require a lineage... Who's to say which one is the "right path." My form of the middle way is to respect all the paths and follw the ones that speak to my heart. Sometimes the path changes and readjusts a bit, but I am always moving forward. I jusr don't worry about it so much anymore. Like you said, my main priority is living a good and compassionate life. Doesn't realy matter which practice helps me to achieve that."
    vinlyn
  • jll said:

if you think Buddhism is confusing, try hinduism.

But it need not be. People have made it so. I have a post here somewhere about being all "religioned and ritualed out". Less is more. I know not everyone is Vaishnava, nor holds the Bhagavad Gita in the same light, but there are four verses I can think of that make Hinduism very simple indeed:

"In this world all actions, unless they are done as an offering to God, become causes of bondage. Therefore, work for the sake of God without personal attachments." 3.9 (there's much of the Eightfold Path and Six Perfections in that, even for a non-theist).

"Whosoever worship Me through whatsoever path, I verily accept and bless them in that way. Men everywhere follow My path." 4.11 (Krishna's path is one of righteousness and compassion).

"Whoever makes an offering to Me with devotion, be it of leaf, flower, fruit or water - that devout offering by a pure-hearted man, I accept with joy." 9.26

"Abandoning after sincere trial, dependence on all human efforts at moral and spiritual upliftment, come to Me as the only Refuge. Grieve not; I will deliver you from all sins." 18.66 (don't overthink things, just surrender to the path of righteousness and compassion; that could be the Buddha or Jesus speaking).
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I'm sorry Jainararayan but the Buddhist teaching of Rebirth is not predicated on ' something surviving physical death ' but rather that in the ' Three Lives Model ' the karmic momentum of the last life causes the arising of another life..just as a wave in the ocean provides the energy for the next wave.. ocean waves do not move forward, they move up and down , the wave nearest the shore then has nowhere to go but forward up the shore.
    In Rebirth no entity passes on to eventually become Enlightened. Thats a residue of your Vaisnavism.
    TheEccentric
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Religion is essentially a coping mechanism - there isn't any truth to it - so it does not matter what religion one follows. It is all for fun anyway, a way to kill time or cope with pain, etc. No need to take it seriously - mix all religions (hinduism plus buddhism or shinto with satanism, whatever), no harm done because they are just ideas and not truth.
    Alex
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Now that's strange I was under the impression that this forum was called 'New Buddhist..'
    Had I known that it was actually ' New A Little Bit Of Anything You Fancy Because Its All Nonsense Anyway ' I would have looked elsewhere.
    betaboyTheEccentrickarmabluespommesetoranges
  • Citta said:

In Rebirth no entity passes on to eventually become Enlightened.

That doesn't represent all of Buddhism.
    Thats a residue of your Vaisnavism.
    And... ?
  • Citta said:

Now that's strange I was under the impression that this forum was called 'New Buddhist..'
    Had I known that it was actually ' New A Little Bit Of Anything You Fancy Because Its All Nonsense Anyway ' I would have looked elsewhere.

Forum = General Banter
    Thread = Torn between Buddhism and Hinduism.
    Gun Held to Head to Read v. Not Read = None.
    Problem = None.
    vinlyn
  • Citta said:

We are buddhists because we've chosen that as our coping mechanism. Others may choose voodoo or hinduism or a mixture of two or three religions. It is all subjective anyway, just a way to deal with pain and boredom (and unanswered questions).
    Jainarayan
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Please outline a school of Buddhism which eschews anatta. And which explains punarbhava as the postmortem passing of an entity from one form to another @Jainanarayan.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013

Citta said:

Forum = General Banter
    Problem = None.
    No problem for me. I am not the one confused about the nature of Buddhadharma and have no subsequent dissonance as an inevitable consequence of joining a forum about a system of thought I reject or do not yet have a handle on.
    Just as I have no intention of joining New Catholic forum and creating dissonance for myself by telling them why I dont accept the idea of Papal Infallibility.
    Citta said:

Citta said:

Forum = General Banter
    Problem = None.
    No problem for me. I am not the one confused about the nature of Buddhadharma and have no subsequent dissonance as an inevitable consequence of joining a forum about a system of thought I reject or do not yet have a handle on.
    But isn't the nature of Buddhism to find one's own path? And didn't the Buddha allegedly say to not believe in anything just because you are told? To seek truth for yourself?

Also, there are many Buddhists who so believe in souls and rebirth which very closely resembles reincarnation. Are they practicing a system that they "do not yet have a handle on"? Do they "reject" it, because some of theirs might be unorthodox?
    Kundo
  • robotrobot Veteran
    betaboy said:

Citta said:

We are buddhists because we've chosen that as our coping mechanism. Others may choose voodoo or hinduism or a mixture of two or three religions. It is all subjective anyway, just a way to deal with pain and boredom (and unanswered questions).
    You are really going to have to speak for your self on that.
    I think if I was looking for a coping mechanism, I would choose to smoke weed.
    I miss it sometimes.
  • You could call it "dabbling". I call it trying to find my spiritual home and me being called by two wonderful traditions. I'm not orthodox in anyway shape or form, but I don't want to make a mockery of any practice.
    So you want to flit between homes as convenient. You further want to be unorthodox, which means doing whatever takes your fancy? You want to be considered serious? :scratch:

Good luck.

What exactly are you trying to do, achieve, be or attune with? To be frank you are like someone going everywhere at the same and consequently getting nowhere. Bit harsh? Ah well, this is a Buddhist forum, sometimes we tell the truth as we see it . . . :orange:
    lobster said:

You could call it "dabbling". I call it trying to find my spiritual home and me being called by two wonderful traditions. I'm not orthodox in anyway shape or form, but I don't want to make a mockery of any practice.
    So you want to flit between homes as convenient. You further want to be unorthodox, which means doing whatever takes your fancy? You want to be considered serious? :scratch:

Good luck.

What exactly are you trying to do, achieve, be or attune with? To be frank you are like someone going everywhere at the same and consequently getting nowhere. Bit harsh? Ah well, this is a Buddhist forum, sometimes we tell the truth as we see it . . . :orange:

Being a seeker does not mean doing what ever one wants or not wanting to be "taken seriously". It simply means I'm trying to find my way in the world. You think that makes me a dabbler or going nowhere? Okay. :coffee:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    DaftChris said:

Citta said:

Citta said:

Forum = General Banter
    Problem = None.
    But isn't the nature of Buddhism to find one's own path? And didn't the Buddha allegedly say to not believe in anything just because you are told? To seek truth for yourself?

Also, there are many Buddhists who so believe in souls and rebirth which very closely resembles reincarnation. Are they practicing a system that they "do not yet have a handle on"? Do they "reject" it, because some of theirs might be unorthodox?
    Yes, they havn't got a handle on it.
    Citta said:

DaftChris said:

Citta said:

Citta said:

Forum = General Banter
    Problem = None.

Yes, they havn't got a handle on it.
    So practitioners of many Mahayana and Vajrayana groups, established schools under the umbrella term of Buddhism, don't have a handle on it? I may not agree with many schools or practices, but I don't view the practices themselves as less legitimate simply because they work for other people and not me.
  • Being a seeker
    OK.
    What are you seeking? Really need to know in order to perhaps, just perhaps, suggest something helpful. :)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    THEY have...because they do not hold the view that you ascribe to them. If they did, they wouldn't have a handle on it.
    lobster said:

Being a seeker
    OK.
    What are you seeking? Really need to know in order to perhaps, just perhaps, suggest something helpful. :)

Knowledge.

A path to self-realization.

Perhaps inner-peace.
  • Citta said:

Please outline a school of Buddhism which eschews anatta. And which explains punarbhava as the postmortem passing of an entity from one form to another @Jainanarayan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ātman_(Buddhism)#Positive_teachings_on_the_.C4.81tman_in_Mah.C4.81y.C4.81na_Buddhism
    The Zen Buddhist master, Sekkei Harada, likewise speaks of a true Self in his explications of Zen Buddhism. This true Self is found when one "forgets the ego-self".[17] Harada states that the doctrine of "no-self" really means awakening to a self that is without any limits and thus invisible: "No-self means to awaken to a Self that is so vast and limitless that it cannot be seen."[18] Harada concludes his reflections on Zen Buddhism by speaking of the need for an almost passionate encounter with the "person" of the essential True Self:
    … in our lifetime there is only one person we must encounter, one person we must meet as though we were passionately in love. That person is the essential Self, the true Self. As long as you don’t meet this Self, it will be impossible to find true satisfaction in your heart …[19]
    I'm not going to argue this further with you, because you are unyielding in your beliefs, which is perfectly fine for you. But you cannot speak for all of Buddhism nor expect others to see things the way you do. I'm willing to acknowledge different exegeses.
    vinlyn
  • robotrobot Veteran
    To go off topic for a moment.
    Isn't the Internet amazing. Where young people can boldly challenge their elders, people with vastly more experience and knowledge than they have, on an equal footing.
    In my world, which is where people work physically, skills are learned from older men. To challenge them is to stick your neck out and hope for the best.
    There is no equality between the apprentice and the journeyman.
    I suppose with ideas it's different. I never went to university.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I am not unyeliding. I just know a LOT more about the subject than you do. That is not a boast its a fact. And frankly so I should.
    What Harada Roshi is refering to is not an individual entity that passes from one form to another.He is referring to Tathagata-Gharba, often translated as Buddha-Nature. The union of Wisdom and Shunyata .
    You need to do more study Jainanarayan. Preferably without your Vaisnav specs on.

:)

_/\_
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Citta said:

I am not unyeliding. I just know a LOT more about the subject than you do.

You need to do more study Jainanarayan. Preferably without your Vaisnav specs on.

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Not an untrue observation, from my p.o.v. There's nothing wrong with seeing the world through my Vaishnava lens. Even things written in stone can be chiseled away, and many times have been.
    vinlyn
    edited August 2013
    robot said:

To go off topic for a moment.
    Isn't the Internet amazing. Where young people can boldly challenge their elders, people with vastly more experience and knowledge than they have, on an equal footing.
    In my world, which is where people work physically, skills are learned from older men. To challenge them is to stick your neck out and hope for the best.
    There is no equality between the apprentice and the journeyman.
    I suppose with ideas it's different. I never went to university.

Was this meant to come across so passive-aggressive?

• CittaCitta Veteran
    Nothing wrong at all. But you chose of your own free will to deploy your Vaisnav specs on a forum clearly labelled New BUDDHIST. The clue is in the name.
    And I am glad you did.

:)
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited August 2013
    One question @Citta...

What is your fixation with Vaishnavism and determining what is fit to discuss on this site? I think that would be up to the admin and mod, yes? Especially in General Banter.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    You have every right to discuss what you want within the forum guidelines.
    Just as I have the right to point out the differences between Gauidiya Vaisnavism and Buddhadharma... :)
    And they are many.
    It was after all the teacher that bought Vaisnavism to the west that said
    " These Buddhists are rascals. They are even worse rascals than the scientists. They have a rascal philosophy "...wasn't it @Jainarayan ?
  • I'm not Gaudiya, or ISKCON, a branch of Gaudiya. I don't follow Srila Prabhupada's or Sri Chaitanya's teachings. I don't know or care what they said or taught. It's irrelevant to me. If you think I am Gaudiya or ISKCON, then your entire perception of me and my beliefs is built on a foundation of sand.

• 1+1+1+1 = 4

the rest is all a big freakin' glob of icing on the cake. Just enjoy the cake already.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I didn't say you were. I just quoted the teacher that brought Vaisnavism to the west.
    Are you saying that there are Vaisnav teachers who do not think that Buddhists are 'rascals?'
    I would be curious to contact them..
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @robot How is anyone here supposed to determine who is an elder, and who isn't, who has more experience and who has less, and so on? And not to mention, how to rate all those things among different traditions and cultures? Just because someone is older or even more experienced, doesn't mean (in our culture) that they cannot be questioned. One should always speak to others, elders or not, with respect. But unfailingly being devoted to someone just because they are older isn't something I personally recommend. It removes, I think, an important aspect of the teaching circle. My children teach me just as much as I try to teach them. That wouldn't happen so much if I kept things at a level where they just flat out had to respect and take what I said as gospel and they were not allowed to participate or question.
    DaftChrisJainarayan
    Citta said:

I didn't say you were. I just quoted the teacher that brought Vaisnavism to the west.
    Are you saying that there are Vaisnav teachers who do not think that Buddhists are 'rascals?'

There is a difference between discussing the differences & similarities between practices and being a bully.

You're, more or less, doing the latter.
    Jainarayanvinlyn
  • Citta said:

Which was apropos of nothing.
    Go to any Hindu temple and talk to the congregants and the priests. Most Hindus have a live and let live, worship and let worship attitude. There is no Buddhist-persecuting gorilla in the woodshed.
  • @DaftChris -
    DaftChris said:

I'm at a crossroads of two traditions with rich histories, practices and rituals. I love the Buddha, Bodhsattvas, and Gods; but I'm not sure if I'm getting the full spiritual package.

I'd like to ask what (in a totally non-judgmental way) you mean by "the full spiritual package"? What do you feel you miss from one or the other tradition-- and from other traditions besides Buddhism and Hinduism?

I don't need to know that answer, but rather you can ask that question to yourself to help you answer your own unique spiritual concerns.

I have a very "spiritually promiscuous" past, exploring various religious and philosophical traditions and I didn't settle into Buddhism until age 40, and very tentatively at first. I don't think you have to provide an absolute final choice just yet.

Other religious traditions express (with greater or lesser degrees of nuance) an experience of life, shaped by ritual and discipline. Differences exist, to be sure, but a particular approach leads toward something universal-- call it whatever you wish. Exploring a variety of traditions has its benefits, but there comes a time where settling into one tradition has an even greater benefit, because, if approached wholeheartedly, it can help you give birth to your own insight-- which no religious tradition can GIVE you. It can only provide the framework to help you, but you do all the work in the end.

I have found though that remaining rooted in one tradition helps me to understand others. They LOOK quite different, but they all can help to cultivate something universal, something bigger than "me." I understand Christianity better IN LIGHT OF my Buddhist practice, and, while I do not believe in any gods at all, I can nevertheless recognize the insight that "God is love." And by recognizing this in Christianity, I can also understand my own Buddhist practice better.

You have a home, and you have places you visit. You relate to all of them. They all CAN shed light on one another, but you can still have your home to which you may always return.

I don't have an answer to your question as to the "right" home, but I do want to say this to encourage you in whatever you decide: You will never find the "full spiritual package" in Hinduism, Buddhism, in Christianity, or any religion or philosophy. YOU are the full spiritual package-- all that matters is wholehearted devotion to the discipline-- to cultivate a little wisdom, a little compassion, and a little awareness-- which you can grow under the guidance of the discipline.

With much metta!
    karastilobsterTosh