Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Documentary: The Dhamma Brothers

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
I wanted to share a link here for those who hadn't seen it.

Synopsis: 'The Dhamma Brothers' tells a dramatic tale of human potential and transformation as it closely follows and documents the stories of prison inmates who enter into this arduous and intensive Vipassana meditation program. This film has the power to dismantle stereotypes about men behind prison bars and also, in the words of Sister Helen Prejean (Dead Man Walking), "gives you hope for the human race."

Director: Jenny Phillips | Producer: Nicole Guillemet

http://www.cultureunplugged.com/play/7974/The-Dhamma-Brothers

MaryAnnelobstercvalueEvenThirdInvincible_summer

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Spoiler alert: This is an update of the prisoners, don't
    watch until after you watch the OP. :)

MaryAnnecvalue
  • The documentary was awesome!
    Let's face it, men and women who commit serious crimes like murder and mayhem are 'damaged' people. I have at times asked myself what could ever be done with prisoners (and in prisons) that could truly help these people explore themselves, heal themselves, and change for the better. I think vipassana is the answer. The documentary was very inspiring.
    EvenThirdVastmind
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Hey MaryAnne
    I am responding before I've watched the documentary (my bad) but mayhem is often just what a protest march or social disorder is called.
    Not that I think anyone gets to escape the damaged goods label.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited October 2013
    @How
    Yeah, I kind of grabbed that word hastily... but to clarify, once you see the doc. you will note that this prison is maximum security, and these are murderers... but not just men who have killed from a distance with a gun, but who have committed 'mayhem' by virtually "slaughtering" some of their victims, (their actual words) and causing unimaginable grief for the families of those victims as well as for their own families (especially their own kids). This is not a regular prison which houses prisoners who've committed lower level crimes or political prisoners. But yeah, 'mayhem' was an 'iffy' word to use, I guess.
  • MaryAnne said:

The documentary was awesome!
    . . . The documentary was very inspiring.

I urge everyone to see it.
    Buddhism, dharma works. No doubt. Guaranteed. Proof available.

Be inspired.

EvenThirdVastmind
  • @Vastmind, the video is awesome! Thank you. I will send it to my friends.
    Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited October 2013
    I'm so happy I could share it. It sure impacted me, in a lot
    of ways. Really opens your mind and heart...doesn't it?

I would like to thank the crustacean that made this
    sharing possible.
    cvalue
  • It bothers me slightly that even convicted murderers can also find inner peace, etc..

But just shows you, inner peace really does come from within!

Its not what you did in the past that counts, its what we do in the present...

Its just a shame that the people who they killed dont have a "present"...

But Like i said, Just shows you...

If the Cake (dharma) is there, may aswell eat it.. (practise it)
    No matter who you are or what you've done!
    MaryAnne