Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

birth

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
My Zen teacher's teacher once said, "There is birth and there is death. In between is enlightenment." Except for the "between" part, my take is that he was just stating the obvious.

Here, but not, perhaps, for the squeamish, is a video example of birth.

And another.
Vastmindjae

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Whoa! You took me through it this morning.... hahaha

Beautiful elephant...then Bam! Wake up people...
    your going to be dead soon :D
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Genkaku I've seen the elephant one before but the xbox one is 'Les couilles de chien' ;)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    genkaku said:

My Zen teacher's teacher once said, "There is birth and there is death. In between is enlightenment."

No, it's just dukkha in between... :p
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Ajahn Chah talking about birth and death always greatly connects with me, although he obviously speaks about it from the standpoint of rebirth.

http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhism/B - Theravada/Teachers/Ajaan Chah/No Ajahn Chah/NO AJAHN CHAH Reflections ,Birth & Death.htm

"Our birth and death are just one thing. You can't have one without the other .It's a little funny to see how at a death people are so tearful and sad, and at a birth how happy and delighted. It's delusion .I think if you really want to cry. Then it would be better to do so when someone born. Cry at the root, for if there were no birth, there would be no death. Can you understand this?"

If you're afraid of illnesses, if you are afraid of death, then you should contemplate where they com from?Where do they come from? They arise from birth. So don’t be sad when someone dies, it's just nature, and his suffering in this life is over. If you want to be sad, be sad when people are born: Oh. No, they 've come again. They 're going to suffer and die again!"

"Why are we born? We are born so that we will not have to be born again."

"When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing"

"The Buddha told his disciple Ananda to see impermanence, to see death with every breath . We must know death; we must die in order to live. What does this mean? To die is to come to the end of all our doubt , all our question, and just be here with the present reality. You can never die tomorrow; you must die now. Can you do it? If you can do it, you will know the peace of no more questions."

jae
  • my take is that he was just stating the obvious
    Ah the obvious. Me like. I'll even go for platitudes when nothing better . . .

Iyengar the well known contortionist and yogi was once asked why he practiced physical yoga as a complete path.
    "To have a good death"
    It seemed both a trite and immature answer when I heard it. Something about it stuck with me. Like a koan maybe. Now I think it has levels and maturity worthy of a great PE teacher and Hatha Yoga Master.

When we are born, we are on the path to death. We practice for a good Death and life path . . .
    :bowdown:
    Jeffrey