Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Life is absurd, stop trying to find a meaning

I mean this most sincerely. I know I have wasted an awful lot of time on this. I know many people who have gone insane trying to figure things out. Truth is, Life is not supposed to make sense. Life is not a person endowed with intellect - so logic does not apply. We use logic to be able to make sense of things. But life is illogical, so the question why can never be answered.

For instance, if one asks, "Why did the person I love get cancer?", there is an answer from a medical PoV. But that's not the answer we want when we ask why. Ours is a philosophical why - a deeper why to make sense of what's going on. Unfortunately, though, life won't make sense.

I know as rational beings, our deepest desire is for meaning (not even happiness). But it is time we accepted that one cannot find meaning in life - it is supposed to be absurd because it is not a rational being, just an impersonal force.
seeker242DaltheJigsaw

Comments

• It not supposed to absurd anymore than it's supposed to have meaning.
    You are trying hard to make it something it's not.
    It's you who needs to go with the flow.
    riverflow
  • It is not meant to be anything, it is what it is... There are no conscious higher beings handing out punishment or gratitude, life just rolls along the way it does, and we need to roll along with it. People get cancer, people get run over by trucks, people get raped and tortured, welcome to life, it is what it is. The only meaning to life is what the person who is living it gives to it. In your case a whole of meaning.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I've always had this hunch that the true reality of life/existence, is more beautiful and awe inspiring then we can ever imagine and that we will never know, at least not in our current state.

I'll answer the " why does someone I love get cancer" thing.. well because we simply cannot ACCEPT that people just die, its a natural part of life, at any time and any age.

We have to come up with some story or reasoning as to WHY, mostly so we can have something to blame and be angry at LOL.

I know why..god! that SOB!

I know why... karma! God damn karma!

I know why... no reason! ... LIES! I won't accept such nonsense.
    riverflowcvalue
  • I see truth in what you say: However, life is not absurd. Being is empty by suffering
    is real, compassion is real. Awareness is real and with our real awareness we can use compassion to help end suffering. Yes, there is awareness without an object and that is fine. But that doesn't make nothing of life. If life is nothing then the Buddha's teachings are worthless. I don't see it that way. There is suffering and there is awareness and the care that comes from living gives a cause for human kindness.
    I wrote this poem to express this truth. It is esoteric but it might be worth getting through. Be kind and care and the Buddha's teaching will be there. Purusha means "the Person" it is early Sanscrit.

Purusha

All is one and one is many so none is any.
    None is any and yet all begins, to what ends?
    To be and yet become is one so none is many.
    Everything begins and nothing ends.

The spirit moves a bit of mass
    And Man and Priest and Church conspire
    As though a living poetry could pass
    And be that None which moves the choir.

Do we that mighty self aspire
    Who wields the self which is The One
    Or love and hope and care transpire
    To make the One who is that None?

dlc 1995
  • The world is far more mysterious, beautiful and terrible than any of our limited conceptions about it.
    Here is advice from following our absurd or awakening cuckoo . . .
    from 'the man from onion valley'
    http://www.unfetteredmind.org/30-pieces-of-sincere-advice

• But surely there are people who do find meaning, sometimes very deep meaning.
    Others search but do not find.
    And still others (and apparently you're in this camp) do not search, or perhaps did search but have now stopped.
    lobsterHamsaka
  • Jayantha said:

I've always had this hunch that the true reality of life/existence, is more beautiful and awe inspiring then we can ever imagine and that we will never know, at least not in our current state.

I'll answer the " why does someone I love get cancer" thing.. well because we simply cannot ACCEPT that people just die, its a natural part of life, at any time and any age.

We have to come up with some story or reasoning as to WHY, mostly so we can have something to blame and be angry at LOL.

I know why..god! that SOB!

I know why... karma! God damn karma!

I know why... no reason! ... LIES! I won't accept such nonsense.

The whole 'true reality is more beautiful and awe inspiring than we can imagine' thing can be easily explained in my opinion. For example, the world around us, theuniverse, everything, we see it with visible light. Now, take the entire spectrum and see how much we can actually see.. There are animals who are adapt to different parts of the spectrum and imagine if one could view the entire spectrum!

em.jpeg 66.5K
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Hamsaka said:

Are you looking for someone to agree with you or disagree?

I really mean this as an honest question, you know, when a person makes a statement in a forum like this, the intention behind the question is extremely important to know, right?

The 'cause' of concluding life is absurd is the mistake of believing there is no greater reality than the thoughts swirling in your own head. You haven't yet realized there's a whole wide world outside what you think, and that is great news! Be heartened, you haven't seen the half of it yet.

Gassho :)

EvenThirdInvincible_summerfpmonkey
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    @Jayantha:
    I have a hunch like this, too, but I suspect we are capable of perceiving it, in pieces and bits, now and then. I also suspect the beauty and awe-inspiring is misunderstood as the 'mundane'.

Gassho :)
    EvenThirdfpmonkey
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited December 2013
    The only meaning is that which we put there. I am okay with that. We're primates and the universe does not give one wit about this primate, but life is rich and meaningful (my version of meaningful) non the less. So we're liberated, free to create our own worlds, but this freedom comes with responsibity-we are the heirs of our actions and will inherit its results.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    As the Oracle suggests in the movie, "The Matrix," "Have a cookie."
    lobsteranatamanInvincible_summerHamsaka
  • genkaku said:

As the Oracle suggests in the movie, "The Matrix," "Have a cookie."

BhikkhuJayasaraanataman
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "Don't-know mind" is our enlightened mind before ideas, opinions, or concepts arise to create suffering. Only keep a don't know mind."
    ~Zen Master Seung Sahn

“I discovered that it is necessary, absolutely necessary, to believe in nothing. That is, we have to believe in something which has no form and no color--something which exists before all forms and colors appear... No matter what god or doctrine you believe in, if you become attached to it, your belief will be based more or less on a self-centered idea.”
    ~Shunryu Suzuki

We all want to be the one who knows. But if we decide we "know" something, we are not open to other possibilities anymore. And that's a shame. We lose something very vital in our life when it's more important to us to be "one who knows" than it is to be awake to what's happening. We get disappointed because we expect one thing, and it doesn't happen quite like that. Or we think something ought to be like this, and it turns out different. Instead of saying, "Oh, isn't that interesting," we say, "Yuck, not what I thought it would be." Pity. The very nature of beginner's mind is not knowing in a certain way, not being an expert.
    ~Zenkei Blanche Hartman

"Life has no meaning. Absolutely no meaning! And when you realize that, you find true meaning. What we call in Buddhism "Big meaning", which is to help other beings. You realize all the stuff that you want, and all the stuff you don't want, is completely empty. Because it just comes and goes, and comes and goes"
    ~Dae Kwang Sunim Zen Master

Letting go of trying to find some meaning in why a loved one has cancer, or died or whatever, is a good thing IMO! If you go to a funeral, most people are thinking "OMG, how could this have happened?! Why did this happen?!, etc, etc. But it really does not matter why. If you can just let go of "OMG, why did this happen?! you can just accept that it happens and then be at peace with it. Being at peace is a good thing IMO.

betaboy is onto something valuable here I think. Letting go of "I need to know why!" is peace. :)
    betaboyJeffreylobsterfpmonkey
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Hamsaka said:

Hamsaka said:

Are you looking for someone to agree with you or disagree?

I really mean this as an honest question, you know, when a person makes a statement in a forum like this, the intention behind the question is extremely important to know, right?

I will take a wild guess. betaboy shared this because this realization of "I really don't need to know why my loved ones got cancer", or whatever, has helped helped him/her accept the fact that things like cancer just happen and there is no need to brood over them happening. Just accept it and move on and be at peace. And betaboy shared this because he/she wanted to share what help them, with other people, so they can be helped by it too and be at peace too. Just a wild guess. :)
    betaboy
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @betaboy, perhaps you should start a blog somewhere, because you write posts as if they were universal truths encompassing most people here, and it rapidly becomes glaringly evident that your perspective of your own life is most certainly neither shared nor agreed with by others here....
    Invincible_summerTheswingisyellow
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    As possibly the only conscious beings in the universe (as we understand it) - we are the beings who can give it any meaning if we choose to.

You choose 'absurdity' as a meaning to life. Possibly, because you are obstructed from seeing anything else. There are ways to get around this.

I choose a simple pat;, that we can be permitted to determine our own lives.

At least choice is an option - or is this an absurd notion?

Well actually I am just a monkey who has been tapping away at a typewriter for trillions of years to produce this sentence - Wake up beta boy, WAKE UP!

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Still at it I see Betaboy. :) Plus ca change...
    riverflow
  • The nature of mind is to find meaning.
  • :coffee:
    Theswingisyellow
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Love this topic!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Sorry, OP; I can't live a meaningless life. No can do. But cancer doesn't have meaning. Cancer just is. You could say it's the ripening of past karma. Or you could say the person had to leave this world so they could be reborn and continue their work. Or you could simply grieve the loss and move on, having gained new personal insight into the nature of suffering. Which is kinda the meaning of life, IMO; to gain compassion and insight so that we can help others.

Heaven knows this planet is a mess and needs our loving and skillful help. On an individual level at least, if not a collective level.

But maybe that's just me... :-/
    MaryAnneanatamanJeffreyTheswingisyellow
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @betaboy - Reading a lot of Camus recently?

While I generally sympathize with the sentiment (existentialism lead me to Buddhism), I don't think it's always a skillful thing to say to others. Has a very "get over it, why doncha?!" vibe to it.
    Theswingisyellowriverflow
  • betaboy is onto something valuable here I think. Letting go of "I need to know why!" is peace.
    It is peace if it results in peace, otherwise one ends up with more meaningless nihilism tomorrow . . .
    Speaking a truth and knowing the truth are different things.
    The difference between platitudes and wisdom.

Pattern finding, the evolutionary need to solve problems, makes it difficult to accept an impersonal but interconnected, interdependent universe.
    So what connections and interdependence, in other words what path do we take?
    It is all meaningless, nothing matters . . . ?
    . . . or we make connections, we make peace with ourselves and with and for others . . . ?

I find choice one empty, choice two is empty too . . . but I like it . . . :wave:
    Theswingisyellowjae
This discussion has been closed.