Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Toilet Profoundness

It is common knowledge among most people that amazing, innovative and impacting ideas have arisen whilst sat on the toilet. I myself have experienced a certain headspace from time to time, earlier a few things occurred to me that were quite striking and profound. So why do you think this is?
cvalue

Comments

• jaejae Veteran
    'shit happens'...@ThailandTom.... as I've just read in another tread from @betaboy.... sorry couldn't resist excuse my crudeness :)
    Hamsaka
  • Well this is my thoughts on the matter, we all have our own set of distractions in life ranging from computer devises to people, substances, food, whatever, but when you park your keester on that seat you are there left with you and yourself looking at a wall. So it is a kind of meditation I guess, those old men with their newspapers are cheating!
    jaeriverflow
  • jaejae Veteran
    @thailandTom...maybe not regarding the old men... have you never been staring at the TV and just watching moving pictures, or how many times have you have to reread several pages?
  • jae said:

@thailandTom...maybe not regarding the old men... have you never been staring at the TV and just watching moving pictures, or how many times have you have to reread several pages?

I don't really watch TV anymore, but I have zoned out reading things before. Not quite sure what you are getting at though lol, sorry maybe it is just me being an idiot.. Can you elaborate?
  • jaejae Veteran
    @ThailandTom...ha ha not much really just maybe the old men aren't cheating ....maybe they are zoning out too...maybe the newspaper is an excuse to be in there longer... :D
    riverflow
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    When you generate shit, if you're already full of it, something has to give...

:p
    riverflowpersonDandelionWonderingSeeker
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Perhaps it matters little where an idea emerges, from the top end or the bottom. It's all, in the great scheme of things, a bunch of shit.

Gassho :)
    jae
    Another thought. Shit is something we flush away, but it wasn't always so. Shit has enjoyed great distinction over the course of species evolution, especially ours.

A millennium or so ago, we threw it at our enemies instead of engaging in protracted internet debates. We deposited it far from our gang so as not to lead sniffing predators to us. Even today, humans rub shit on themselves to fool their herbivorous prey.

There's something about shitting, you know, it is such a solitary endeavor. We shit alone. We shit in silence. We can be surrounded by other people shitting, yet the shitting itself is not shared.

At the moment of shitting, there is only awareness of shitting. Our minds may provide add-ons, such as "that was a good one" or "damn that shit felt square shaped" or "will that shit ever get a move on??" The moment of shitting is a complete experience, it is pure mindfulness. After it is over, for a moment or two, pure citta reigns supreme: "I have just shat." Nothing more, nothing less.

Gassho :)
    jaeEvenThirdVastmind
  • Shit was a common topic in traditional Japanese haiku:

http://www.vianegativa.us/2007/09/kobayashi-issa-haiku-about-shitting/
    EvenThird
  • jaejae Veteran
    Hamsaka.....you crack me up! :D
    musashi no ya no-guso no togi ni naku hibari

On Musashi Plain,
    I listened to the song of a skylark
    while I took a shit.
    Holy Crap, I think I just achieved Enlightenment :om:
    ThailandTomEvenThirdjae
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    But if you're enlightened, does that make your crap holy....?
  • federica said:

Well there is a teaching where you offer everything real and imagined to Buddha. Hehe.

Hamsaka
  • What was the title of this thread again?
  • federica said:

Depends on what you've eaten.

EvenThirdsova
  • Gui said:

Letting go of shit. What is more Buddhist than that?

earth (patavi) liquidized (water) warmed (thejo) and move on the space (akasa) with the help of air (vayo) and know about it (vinnana)

so
    five aggregates (rupa-form, vedana-feeling, sanna-perception, sankhara-volitional activity, and vinnan-consiousness) are there

we all cling to 'Shit', that's why we are talking about it and moving around the samsara

what exactly is the 'Shit' ?
    things we eat (kabalinkara-ahara)

Buddha said 'eat what you need to maintain your body, because consciousness (vinnana) needs the body (rupa) to live and which helps to understand Buddha's Teaching

so

we can not get rid of 'Shit' until we understand Buddha's Teaching and stop the Rebirth

:)
    Jeffrey
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    Sorry I might be thread-crapping here (sorry folks couldn't resist).

Really best thread ever.