Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

such kewl questions

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited January 2014 in General Banter
I wonder how many 'questions' in spiritual endeavor simply display the unwillingness of the ask-er to go to work and find out.

One thing's for sure: I don't intend to go to work and find out. :)
Zerolobsterhow

Comments

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Bahaha well said

too bad you can't do somebody else's laundry
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    In Charlotte 'Joko' Beck's book "Everyday Zen", I read something a few days ago that your OP made me remember:
    To pay the price means that we must give what life requires must be given; perhaps time, or money, or material goods -- and sometimes, when not giving such things when it is best not to. Always the practice effort is to see what life requires us to give as opposed to what we personally want to give -- which is not easy. This tough practice is the payment exacted if we wish to encounter the jewel.

Though hidden, the jewel is always present -- but we will never see it unless we are ready to pay the price. The uncovering of the jewel is what our life is about. How willing are you to pay the price?
    Gassho :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    genkaku said:

I wonder how many 'questions' in spiritual endeavor simply display the unwillingness of the ask-er to go to work and find out.

One thing's for sure: I don't intend to go to work and find out. :)

Many aspects of cultural Buddhism that seem to have little to do with the 4NT, the 8FP or D.O., are avenues for people to socially circle in the presence of Buddhism until, as if by osmosis, some inadvertent digestion of the Dharma occurs.

I think of those that Genkaku is referencing to, belong to this same group, and are just doing the best they can, as are we.
    lobsterVastmindDandelion
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    a lot of times questions demonstrate a lack of confidence in themselves, sometimes it's from over intellectual thought, sometimes probably in an effort of avoidance, there could be a number of reasons.

sometimes I question myself because I don't seem to have questions and I wonder if there is something wrong with me in that way lol, but its rare.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    genkaku said:

So is it better to ask questions to which one already knows the answer? ;)
  • The whole point of spiritual practice is to find your own answers. You can only learn so much by asking what others think, or what some long dead guru said. Their opinions pertain to their experience, not yours.
    lobsterEvenThird
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    socially circle in the presence of Buddhism until, as if by osmosis, some inadvertent digestion of the Dharma occurs.
    @how -- I agree with your gentle appreciation and yet, from time to time, cannot help but despair for the famished circling buzzard that looks down from a great height on the carrion below but never descends for lunch.