Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is there anything against believing in God?

I grew up an agnostic and that was that. Going to Buddhism my mind has become more open. I desire to share more with Christians since I am in a Christian nation. I will cherry pick and be unorthodox if I do experiment with Christianity.

But I was wondering if Buddha or -ism ever says that you shouldn't believe in God? Since being Buddhist I am much more open to Jesus having an enlightened consciousness because Buddhism in my mind has some mystical things.

The Buddha said that he would remain silent on God. Is this right? And then there is the conundrum of heaven versus rebirth. But for a lot of conundrums like that I can just remain agnostic.

Any thoughts? @Silouan @SimonthePilgram

Comments

• I don't think there is anything against believing in God. But in Buddhism, there is a thing called 'skillful action'. Is it skillful to believe in something without proof? Or is it skillful to drop such beliefs, even if such beliefs are part of Buddhism?

So it is not about being for or against something. It is about being skillful.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    I think the devil may be against believing in God, but I don't really know much about that religion.
    cvalue
  • betaboy said:

I don't think there is anything against believing in God. But in Buddhism, there is a thing called 'skillful action'. Is it skillful to believe in something without proof? Or is it skillful to drop such beliefs, even if such beliefs are part of Buddhism?

skillful action isn't the same thing as skillful belief?? right? I would be agnostic on a lot of things. There is a lot in the Mahayana that has no proof such as the trikaya. Going from Mahayana to Christianity isn't a huge stretch. I think part of my motivation is skillful. I want to relate to Christians and share spirituality with them. I wouldn't give up on Buddhist studies. I would just have faith in God in addition to the refuge.
    Kundo
  • Jeffrey said:

betaboy said:

I don't think there is anything against believing in God. But in Buddhism, there is a thing called 'skillful action'. Is it skillful to believe in something without proof? Or is it skillful to drop such beliefs, even if such beliefs are part of Buddhism?

skillful action isn't the same thing as skillful belief?? right? I would be agnostic on a lot of things. There is a lot in the Mahayana that has no proof such as the trikaya. Going from Mahayana to Christianity isn't a huge stretch. I think part of my motivation is skillful. I want to relate to Christians and share spirituality with them. I wouldn't give up on Buddhist studies. I would just have faith in God in addition to the refuge.
    Do you want to have faith in god because it gives you comfort - or because you really believe in god? Which is it?
    JeffreyInvincible_summer
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I believe in mind-as-god. A powerful enough mind would be able to think and things would happen, obedient to mind's thought. My little feeble imitation mind never could make things happen just by thinking them, though.

The mind-as-god idea to me, reconciles Buddhism and contemplative Christianity. But I do not expect others to accept that.
    Jeffrey
  • betaboy said:

Jeffrey said:

betaboy said:

Do you want to have faith in god because it gives you comfort - or because you really believe in god? Which is it?
    I want God to exist but I'm not sure if it is true. I could be somewhere on a spectrum of Theist to Agnostic. Do you think a spectrum exists? Or is it yes or no?

So I want God to exist so everyone can lose their kleshas and be happy.
  • Believing in anything shouldn't hurt, only bad time management.
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    There would be issues with regard to eternalism. Shakyamuni rejected a personal god, a creator ... There is the god realm, however (could be room there). I have heard people of treating Jesus as guru.

I don't think Christian cosmology really fits with Buddhist cosmology - not sure how much that matters. However, picking and choosing only the parts you like of a spiritual system can lead to confusion - I've been there done that!
    JeffreyHamsakaInvincible_summerTheswingisyellow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Yes. I am also agnostic towards a creator. But I hope there is a loving creator. Wouldn't that be kinda cool?

I think Mahayana to Christ is easier than atheist to Christ. For one thing I have no need for proof, to be honest. I just need practice and that is Buddhism. Belief in God might just be a metta 'factory'.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

I grew up an agnostic and that was that. Going to Buddhism my mind has become more open. I desire to share more with Christians since I am in a Christian nation. I will cherry pick and be unorthodox if I do experiment with Christianity.

But I was wondering if Buddha or -ism ever says that you shouldn't believe in God? Since being Buddhist I am much more open to Jesus having an enlightened consciousness because Buddhism in my mind has some mystical things.

The Buddha said that he would remain silent on God. Is this right? And then there is the conundrum of heaven versus rebirth. But for a lot of conundrums like that I can just remain agnostic.

One of the first conversations I had with a monk in Thailand was about this very topic. He said one can be both a Christian and a Buddhist. When I asked him about the Buddhist position, he said that since Buddhists cannot answer the God question, they choose not to answer it.

Can't say it that's all accurate...but it works for me.

Jeffreylobster
    betaboy said:

Buddha supposedly saw all world knowledge. Got any proof?

Buddha sat under the Bodhi tree and was enlightened. Got any proof?

But on the other hand, I'd hate a world where all we believed in were facts.

betaboy said:

A good question. But does it have to be an "or" question?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I don't see any downside to being 'wrong' about God. So long as I am not from the Spanish Inquisition or whatever. If I am wrong what do I lose? I will practice Buddhist life teachings regardless. Christianity would just help bridge with fellow homo sapiens in my community. And yes I can be sincere though agnostic.
    vinlyncvalue
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    I don't see a problem happening if a Buddhist believes in (gives devotion to) the Christian God. I DO see the Christian God having a BIG problem with the Buddha, what with His issues with idols and other-gods-before-Me.

@Jeffrey, I seriously doubt there is a 'wrongness' if you devote faith or belief in the Christian God, especially from the Buddhist point of view. Rack my brains, but Buddhism as I understand it just doesn't make those kind of prohibitions. I get the impression the Buddha was perfectly fine with and encouraged people to do exactly what he exhorted them NOT to do, and discover for themselves why sexual misconduct (et al) is 'wrong'. Once you 'get it', you won't WANT to do it, it's very effective :) .

Gautama's example of refusing to answer the question has the meaning of many encyclopedias of knowledge (and a moment of wisdom :D ). My personal guess is that it's skillful to make a mindful stab at something to discover if it is skillful or unskillful.

'Wrongness' or unskillfulness comes in with the consequences or results of devoting your belief or faith also toward the Christian God (just me thinking it through here). Is the purpose/intention of devotion to God (as well as Buddha) be in service to the elimination of suffering? If so, it doesn't sound like it can go wrong!

I just watched "The Dhamma Brothers" last night on Netflix, and was shocked that the prison was 'ordered' to shut down the Vipassana program due to complaints by the Christian chaplaincy (or whoever up there high enough to call such shots). Overt religious persecution, at the state level, in the year 2002 in the good ole USA??? I know, I know :dunce:

My point is, the Christian side of the equation won't offer up a lot of, erm, friends. And *if* the Christian God is, as He claims, the only true and real God, your ass is grass if you are a Buddhist, so you might want to think about that LOL. You may not want to draw His attention . . . :rarr:

Gassho :)
    JeffreyTheswingisyellow
  • There are levels of Christian, just as there are degrees of realisation. Thus have we herd.

Do you want a science god?
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2012/04/02

This is my understanding of Christianity but a mystic, contemplative or realised being will be beyond stated fish recipes.

John 13:34-35
    “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

My Cod, did not the Buddha say something similar? Something fishy somewhere . . .

and now back to the music . . .

Jeffrey
  • Thanks. But if I have my own idea of God and I say that God won't be against Buddhism then what then? I would of course have to ignore the 'no idols' commandment. That's a good point.

But a lot of Christians have their own custom made views. My mom is a Christian but she doesn't give a crap who has idols etc..

I'm not looking to be a model Christian I just wonder if I could have a belief in my own way.

That's an excellent suggestion to contemplate the no idols thing. It's actually related to the prohibition of homosexuality. The Bible says loving another man is to take that man as an idol over God. True story.

My girlfriend is Christian and I would love to learn more or go to her Church just to be around people, you know? I feel warm towards other spiritual people. I could share in such things as being thankful. I like St. Francis from TNH's book Living Buddha Living Christ.
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    It sounds like a great idea @Jeffrey, to go to church with your girlfriend and increase your mutual community.

I was going to say something about 'making up your own ideas of God', something along the lines of 'How in the world can you do that? A deity stands just a bit outside our human purview . . .'

But then I thought if there *is* such a 'being' or . . . . or whateveritis :D , what else could our limited human perception come up with anyway? Aren't we already making up God as we go?

Keep in mind 'the end of suffering', that's my advice anyway. In a roundabout way, it looks like it was Jehovah's plan in the long run.

Gassho :)
    Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @Jason, well there goes that plan :( Samsara is beginningless.
    Of course, this doesn't mean that people can't believe in God and still practice the Dhamma, especially some of its more contemplative aspects; but it does mean that, at the very least, such views can negatively impact the practice when held inappropriately. In addition, I understand that a belief in God can provide comfort in difficult times, as well as serve as the basis for a beneficial ethical-spiritual practice. I also accept that certain people may have had some kind of profound spiritual experience that has led them to adopt such beliefs, and I don't have any issues with that myself. (I mean, who am I to argue with someone's personal experiences?)
    I think you may be onto something there ^^^. (when I typed that I didn't hit shift and it typed up 666 lol)

So how can there be samsara that God created? At least I have isolated a good question...

That's the kicker. I am glad I posted this. And then I would say that God definitely does exist if only in the fantasies of his followers. So that God should be respected because it is tied to sentient beings.

Anyone have any ideas for how a creator God can exist without a beginning to ignorance?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    On the other hand samsara does not really exist. It is like a mirage, bubbles in a stream of water etc... sutra??

God might have created humans and then humans were in Samsara. God might not be subject to permanence or impermanence since he is ultimate truth or love. For 'samsara is beginingless' to have a meaning you would have to have a sense of 'time'. Time could be a property of human mind. So Buddha was speaking provisionally to humans. A lot of places Buddha gives a provisional truth.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    One can believe in Odin or Zeus or Isis or any number of belief systems, they are all perfectly valid- is Zeus any less real than Elohim, Allah or Christ? The question for me is this belief going to be helpful? Will these beliefs free me from the wheel of Samsara?
  • That's a good question. I think I am agnostic regarding God. I believe samsara is clinging. So could there be God without clinging? Surely there can be clinging with God. But is a belief in God the cause of the clinging? Probably not in all cases.
  • Sufis such as Rabia are sometimes regarded as 'secret Christians'.
    What do they cling to, when even accusations of piety are empty for them . . .

O lord!
    If I worship You from fear of Hell, Cast me into Hell.
    If I worship You from desire for Paradise, deny me Paradise.
    but if i worship You for your own sake
    then withhold not from me your Eternal Beauty

http://www.noormedini.com/sufipoems.html

and now back to the cling film . . .

:wave:
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited January 2014
    vinlyn said:

betaboy said:

Buddha supposedly saw all world knowledge. Got any proof?

Buddha sat under the Bodhi tree and was enlightened. Got any proof?

But on the other hand, I'd hate a world where all we believed in were facts.

You're asking the wrong guy. I don't believe in the Buddha, lol.
  • Thats a shame, he he speaks so well of you...
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    It seems to me the problem could be solved by seeing God as the universe itself in a process of self realisation and not the creator of the universe.

Positing a first cause has never made sense to me. It makes more sense that causation has always been. Even an eternal creator would be eternally creating which in itself means there is no absolute beginning.

JainarayanDaiva
  • Jeffrey said:

I want God to exist but I'm not sure if it is true. I could be somewhere on a spectrum of Theist to Agnostic. Do you think a spectrum exists? Or is it yes or no?

So I want God to exist so everyone can lose their kleshas and be happy.

You could be an agnostic deist. Were I to say I believe in a God, it would be a God that is simply the basis or substrate of all that exists. After all, we and the universe do exist. That is the deism. The agnostic is that I just can't prove it, I can only intuit or reason it. And the Buddha did kind of say in the Kalama Sutta that if something is in line with your reasonable observations, go with it. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/soma/wheel008.html

"Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them."
    Jeffrey
  • ourself said:

It seems to me the problem could be solved by seeing God as the universe itself in a process of self realisation and not the creator of the universe.

Positing a first cause has never made sense to me. It makes more sense that causation has always been. Even an eternal creator would be eternally creating which in itself means there is no absolute beginning.

That's an even better way of saying what I think, than how I said it. :)
  • The main reason I switched from Catholic to Buddhism is I have problems with these ideas about God Creator:
    First, the idea of one single God Creator who creates and runs this entire universe is too simplistic idea. The world is way too complicated for that!
    Second, if there is a God Creator then who created God?
    Third, if there is a caring God like a loving father why God with all his powers would let his children suffer so? Why would he send Jesus, his only son to die for us? If he has all these powers, why would he even bothers to do that?
    Fourth, if we don't believe in God, we will be condemned to an eternal hell. I feel rebellious against this threat!

I like the idea: In Buddhism, there are only Buddhas (the awaken ones) and there are thousands of Buddhas. There are many different realms and Buddha lands. The universe always exists and evolved and is ruled by Cause and Effect (Karma).

This looks more realistic to me. Buddhas are not God but they've attained higher levels and are full of compassions when they see the rest of us suffer due to our ignorance. Shakyamuni Buddha can't help us, he can only show us the way.

If we believe in Amitabha Buddha land and apply for immigration there, he will help but if we don't believe in him, we are not condemned to an eternal hell. We will just go to a different place.
    Jeffrey
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    betaboy said:

I suspect that many theists would find it difficult to make the distinction.
    Nek777 said:

I don't think Christian cosmology really fits with Buddhist cosmology - not sure how much that matters.

There seem to be similarities and differences. In Buddhism the realms are temporary abodes, whereas in Christianity Heaven and Hell are one-off eternal destinations. In Buddhism karma is a natural process, whereas in Christianity God is the judge of moral behaviour.
    Jeffrey
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

Any thoughts? @Silouan @SimonthePilgram

Dude, don't beat yourself up about this.

We will believe what we believe, regardless of who says what, including the Buddha, and that's okay.
    BhikkhuJayasaravinlyn
    betaboy said:

You're asking the wrong guy. I don't believe in the Buddha, lol.

Whoa.

At all?

Why are you here?

ourself said:

What problem to be solved?

Why is any one personal belief a problem to be solved any more than any other one personal belief?

As far as why do people posit a first cause, it seems the most natural thing for man to wonder about -- where did I come from?

cvalue said:

The main reason I switched from Catholic to Buddhism is I have problems with these ideas about God Creator:
    First, the idea of one single God Creator who creates and runs this entire universe is too simplistic idea. The world is way too complicated for that!
    Second, if there is a God Creator then who created God?
    Third, if there is a caring God like a loving father why God with all his powers would let his children suffer so? Why would he send Jesus, his only son to die for us? If he has all these powers, why would he even bothers to do that?
    Fourth, if we don't believe in God, we will be condemned to an eternal hell. I feel rebellious against this threat!

I like the idea: In Buddhism, there are only Buddhas (the awaken ones) and there are thousands of Buddhas. There are many different realms and Buddha lands. The universe always exists and evolved and is ruled by Cause and Effect (Karma).

This looks more realistic to me. Buddhas are not God but they've attained higher levels and are full of compassions when they see the rest of us suffer due to our ignorance. Shakyamuni Buddha can't help us, he can only show us the way.

If we believe in Amitabha Buddha land and apply for immigration there, he will help but if we don't believe in him, we are not condemned to an eternal hell. We will just go to a different place.

Which is all fine. I have no problem with your belief. I would never argue such a belief.

But, I don't see that you (or anyone) has any more evidence for one than the other. So it all comes down to personal logic.

• @vinlyn, I am sorry if I gave impression that I have more evidence than the other. My comment is just my personal opinion about God.
  • I periodically struggle with this very issue myself. Emotionally, in my heart, I really want there to be a personal God I can have a relationship with. A part of me almost abhors the teachings about non-self, emptyness or that everything is an illusion. That part of me that could be called a soul is highly individualized and craves for a confirmation of its individuality by a supernatural Person.

But when I get swayed by those emotional leanings, I start studying Christian religion (which rings the most true to me as far as Personal God religions go). And what do I see? Fear of the devil and of hell, a very ugly kind of fear. Self-righteousness, to the point where even believers of other Christian confessions are seen as deluded at best. Insane hangups about sexuality. And, of course, rather unsavoury history and politics.

In my mind I can't possibly subscribe to that. And so Buddhism, as shaky as I am on some of its teachings, is the only thing that I can kind of fit into my worldview and disposition. It certainly makes more sense to me than anything else and it does teach compassion which satisfies my emotional self partially. But I haven't fully figured out what to do about this heart of mine. It is my main challenge to figure that out, to become emotionally complete and mature. I feel that the real gold is in there but mining it is no easy task to mine it.

By the way, there's a great movie I saw which, I believe, covers this "God-craving" I'm talking about and the associated psychology pretty well. It's called "The Ledge". It definitely helped me when I was in the midst of an itense struggle with the God question. Rather raw, not happy viewing, though.
    lobsterjjustin
    cvalue said:

@vinlyn, I am sorry if I gave impression that I have more evidence than the other. My comment is just my personal opinion about God.

Nothing to apologize for. It's just a friendly chat! :)
    cvalue
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2014

I periodically struggle with this very issue myself. Emotionally, in my heart, I really want there to be a personal God I can have a relationship with. A part of me almost abhors the teachings about non-self, emptyness or that everything is an illusion. That part of me that could be called a soul is highly individualized and craves for a confirmation of its individuality by a supernatural Person.

But when I get swayed by those emotional leanings, I start studying Christian religion (which rings the most true to me as far as Personal God religions go). And what do I see? Fear of the devil and of hell, a very ugly kind of fear. Self-righteousness, to the point where even believers of other Christian confessions are seen as deluded at best. Insane hangups about sexuality. And, of course, rather unsavoury history and politics.

In my mind I can't possibly subscribe to that. And so Buddhism, as shaky as I am on some of its teachings, is the only thing that I can kind of fit into my worldview and disposition. It certainly makes more sense to me than anything else and it does teach compassion which satisfies my emotional self partially. But I haven't fully figured out what to do about this heart of mine. It is my main challenge to figure that out, to become emotionally complete and mature. I feel that the real gold is in there but mining it is no easy task to mine it.

Have you looked into Advaita Vedanta at all? There are a lot of similarities between certain Buddhist ideas and those found in Sankara's version of Advaita Vedanta, for example. So much so, in fact, that many of his critics actually accused him of being a Buddhist in disguise. For example, it should be noted that the concept of anatman in Sankara's version of Advaita Vedanta is similar to the Buddhist anatta, quite possibly being derived from it. In one of his commentaries, Sankara writes, "Whenever we deny something unreal, we do so with reference to something real; the unreal snake, e.g. is negatived with reference to the real rope." Sankara essentially used the notion of anatman to deny the reality of the individual self (atman) in favour of Brahman. It's a form of theism, but one that has a lot of parallels with Indian/Buddhist thought.
    DaivaJainarayanjjustin
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited January 2014
    vinlyn said:

ourself said:

What problem to be solved?

Why is any one personal belief a problem to be solved any more than any other one personal belief?

As far as why do people posit a first cause, it seems the most natural thing for man to wonder about -- where did I come from?

The problem seemed to be the reconciliation of Jeffrys beliefs and those of his girlfriend.

I get what you're saying but that still begs the question of what caused the supposed first cause? I understand why we ask the questions but to claim there must have been a first cause doesn't really follow.
    ourself said:

I get what you're saying but that still begs the question of what caused the supposed first cause? I understand why we ask the questions but to claim there must have been a first cause doesn't really follow.

I would answer (not that it is the answer) that there is nothing else that we can point to that doesn't have a beginning and end.

• matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    No exciting problem except maybe Buddhist cosmology figures

- all gods are mortal
    - No god created the universe
    - Anyone can become a god
    - There can be lots of gods

Maybe not a problem because with science providing reasonable explanations for so much via astronomy, maybe religious cosmology isn't so important.

while Christian cosmology assumes
    - common Buddhist practices (having a statue in a home shrine) is idolatry
    - and ... well all other religions are works of the devil * (Unitarian Universalism excluded!-- the only church that accepts gays, atheists and Buddhists as they are)

The Christian rules put more restrictions on practicing other religions than vica versa. Most of the sectarian/ "anti-them" things I've read so far in ancient Buddhists texts are against practicing 2 kinds of Buddhism (say Therevada and Mahayana), or jabs at Jain or Hindu practices. Ancient India was unaware of Christians so they never wrote any rules discouraging Christian practice.

All that said, Amitaba & Shin Buddhism is a re-invention of Christianity. The Darmakaya, nirmanakya and samboghakaya is a near re-invention of the trinity. So certain corners are like super compatible-- different books, same words.
    vinlyn said:

ourself said:

I would answer (not that it is the answer) that there is nothing else that we can point to that doesn't have a beginning and end.

Except for everything, that is. No thing really goes anywhere, they just change.

Things change. I don't see how that could change.

If there was ever a "time" with no potential for change then we would not be here right now. We wouldn't even be able to have illusions or delusions of existence.

If tthere is a creator deity before causation, how could it possibly decide somehow to start to create?

Obviously I don't claim my view as truth but ever since I could remember a beginning to all things just doesn't make sense to me. Something would have to cause the beginning.

Not that it's a big deal or anything. We are here. That's what matters.

The Christian rules put more restrictions on practicing other religions than vica versa. ...

You'd hardly know that from some posts I occasionally see on this forum!

• matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    vinlyn said:

The Christian rules put more restrictions on practicing other religions than vica versa. ...

You'd hardly know that from some posts I occasionally see on this forum!
    I personally don't like mixing religions-- but that's just me. There seems to be a willingness to mix religions in with Buddhist practice, especially ones that have historically been mixed in, like Hinduism, Shintoism, Bon, and so on.
  • @Jeffrey

The Buddha taught suffering and the end of suffering. He was silent in reference to God, because he thought that contemplating whether God exists or not was not conducive to religious practice but rather a distraction.

However, the Triune God of the Christian was obviously unknown in his culture,time, and cosmology, and we can only speculate about his position on the matter through the teachings he left behind. In order to do this many Buddhists attempt to fit the uncaused Mind of the Christian into the box of gods of the Buddha's to subordinate it to the dhamma, as if He were like every other causal being with self consciousness that is under constant development rather than complete in itself.

Anyway, I suggest that you follow your heart despite the problems, objections, and issues others may have with believing in the uncaused Mind. Those problems, objections, and issues show a lack of the clarity and illumination that is provided through intimate familiarity with patristic sources.

Fr Dumitru Staniloae's , “The Holy Trinity In The Beginning There Was Love” is a fairly short book that I recommend you read at the very least if you have an opportunity. You might find many things that you initially agree with. It is available at Amazon with some of the Foreward, Preface, and 1st chapter available for preview.

amazon.com/Holy-Trinity-Beginning-There-Love/dp/1935317318/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389708353&sr=1-1&keywords=dumitru+staniloae+the+holy+trinity+in+the+beginning+was+love
  • Jason said:

...Sankara essentially used the notion of anatman to deny the reality of the individual self (atman) in favour of Brahman. It's a form of theism, but one that has a lot of parallels with Indian/Buddhist thought.

This makes a lot of sense in my belief system, for reasons I can't really put into words properly. It weaves my beliefs together very nicely, or at the very least is an explanation of them. Thanks for posting it. :thumbsup:
    edited January 2014
    vinlyn said:

But, I don't see that you (or anyone) has any more evidence for one than the other. So it all comes down to personal logic.

Yes, it's all quite subjective. Personally I find the Buddhist model of rebirth, realms and karma more credible than that of the traditional creator God - though I'm basically agnostic on all these questions.
    A complicating factor in discussions like this is that people seem to all sorts of different ideas about God actually is.
    Jainarayanvinlyncvalue