Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Retreats

What are your experiences of going to a retreat?

Is it something you would reccomend for a beginner? I'm really curious thanks for any replies in advance.

Comments

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    I've had excellent experiences on retreat, both solitary and group.

I wouldn't recommend a solitary retreat to a beginner.

Group? Go for it!
    jae
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @jae
    I think of a retreat is a pilgrimage where you have placed your practice above all other priorities. This applies as much to a "beginner" as anyone else.
    My first retreat was at 20 yrs of age for 3 months in a zen monastery which I continued to return to for other retreats over the next 25 years.
    The ideal of a retreat is usually anywhere you place yourself in circumstances that minimize worldly distractions so as to provide a conducive environment for potentially un interrupted practice.
    A retreat though can also be a mindset, undetermined by external circumstances, where the determination of that mindset creates the retreat of potentially un interupted practice.

So, a retreat can be anywhere, for any amount of time.

My present favorite is for whatever moment is here..
    Chazjae
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Yes, I definitely recommend going on retreats, whether a beginner or not. Here's one experience I had.
    Invincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @jae - I've only gone on a few day-long retreats, but they were great at boosting my practice. I would highly recommend even doing these when you can, as doing longer retreats aren't always feasible.
    jae
    Jayantha said:

Retreats in my experience have been full of pain, suffering, negativity, and struggle.......and totally utterly worth it and life changing.

Was your retreat to pass a kidney stone?
    :eek:
    Invincible_summerNirvanaJeongjwa
  • jaejae Veteran
    @how....again what a lovely way to spend time with your family, from the posts above I think I would really get a lot out of it.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Jason....I've just read your link, I would love to have the oppurtunity to do something like that...maybe one day, thanks for sharing that.

Five hours meditating...WOW my first buddhist meeting, last week we did an hour with a little break in the middle...I enjoyed it but I was so distracted by my legs going numb and severe pins and needles...I tried really hard to concentrate but my mind kept drifting off into various scenarios of embarrassment (I was certain when I stood up I'd collapse in a heap, taking out any nearby ornaments in the hosts lovely house)

Inspiring comments from all...thank you
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Jayantha....i guess you could say 'its painful to be beautiful' thanks for your comment
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Chaz said:

Jayantha said:

Retreats in my experience have been full of pain, suffering, negativity, and struggle.......and totally utterly worth it and life changing.

Was your retreat to pass a kidney stone?
    :eek:
    jae said:

@Jayantha....i guess you could say 'its painful to be beautiful' thanks for your comment

We all know that meditation isn't easy.. I'd like to hear the story of a person who started doing 7 day retreats with 6 hours of meditation a day with nothing but peace and tranquility in the mind and a body with no soreness or pain.

Of course I also had the contributing factors of choosing to do heavy outside work during the work period and wondering why we had to meditate inside when there was a beautiful mountain forest all around us hehe. But even still I'd like To meet the person who considers meditation retreats easy. Now that I've done so many they are easier, but I'd never call them easy.
    Jayantha said:

We all know that meditation isn't easy.. I'd like to hear the story of a person who started doing 7 day retreats with 6 hours of meditation a day with nothing but peace and tranquility in the mind and a body with no soreness or pain.

With that in mind, I always have a "trainning period" to accustom my body and mind to more intensive practice.

I'll work, gadually, to two hour sessions and take part in the weekly Sunday Nyinthun (3 hours) at the local Shambhala center. The retreat center I visit allows for no more than 3 hours of private practice without a break, so my trainning schedule works very well. By the time retreat begins I'm in agreat place mentally and physically. Soreness is an issue, but I can get arround that by keeping a variety of cushions, stools and a chair in my room or cabin.
    Of course I also had the contributing factors of choosing to do heavy outside work during the work period and wondering why we had to meditate inside when there was a beautiful mountain forest all around us hehe.
    The center I go to allows us to walk the 80-acre property at our leisure. All kinds of nice little spots to stop and practice.
    But even still I'd like To meet the person who considers meditation retreats easy. Now that I've done so many they are easier, but I'd never call them easy.
    Well, I don't think they're hard, provided you're in reasonably good physical condition and are mentally prepared. I love retreat practice and never think of it in terms like hard or easy.

Pleased to meet ya!
    Does this look like a man who finds retreat hard?

This is a recent photo of Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche. In 2011 Rinpoche unexpectedly left his recently completed monastery in Bodhgaya with little or nothing on him and has been in a solitary yogic retreat ever since. He recently accepted a companion into his company. He will probably remain in retreat fo a couple more years

He sends occaional messages to friends, students and family. Here's a recent one that has some pictures.

http://learning.tergar.org/2014/01/17/new-photos-and-letter-from-mingyur-rinpoche-on-retreat/

Compoared to what Rinpoche is doing, the kind of retreat practice we engage in, is very easy.
    NirvanaJeffrey
  • DobsDobs Maine, USA Explorer
    I've done a couple of 10 day retreats meditating 10-12 hours a day. Would like to have a go at one 30 days or longer.
    ChazjaeInvincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Everything changes. The hardness or softness of a retreat is no different than the hardness or softness of any arising and passing phenomena that we try not to manipulate in meditation.
    Attachments have so many different forms.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Chaz...just read the link...fascinating. Can you tell me as I don't understand how a solitary retreat can help others? No offence intended whatsoever...is it about prayers? Does he meet people along the way and 'spread the word' or get involved in the community ?
  • Go for it!
    Indeed.

The first retreat I went on was Christian. Long weekend. Left to my own devices. Just had to be there for the meals eaten in silence, whilst a non Christian reading was given. I seem to remember it was an autobiography. I found some liberty caps, which I had never taken before in the garden and had to calculate if I could have them after lunch and be OK by supper. Bad cructacean!

Did a dervish retreat studying the works of Ibn Arabi. The teacher lost his temper with me. Very bad cructacean! Ended up having to be taught by a less temperamental dervish . . .
    http://www.beshara.org/courses/about-courses/retreate-courses.html

Last Buddhist retreat I almost went on, I booked the bus ticket. The Buddhist management considered me unsuitable, what was it something I said? . . . but I went anyway and did a solo retreat in nearby woodland. It was March and cold and I did a special shivering meditation all night in my summer sleeping bag. Should have learned Tumo. Ah well, went into town and got a winter bag. Mad cructacean.
    http://gaiahouse.co.uk/

You could do a cyber retreat
    http://www.interluderetreat.com/
    not quite the same . . .

You will mix and meld. If you can - go. If you are daunted - Go anyway. You will be inspired. Good luck. Don't be naughty.

:wave:
    jae
    lobster said:

Go for it!
    I went anyway and did a solo retreat in nearby woodland. It was March and cold and I did a special shivering meditation all night in my summer sleeping bag. Should have learned Tumo. Ah well, went into town and got a winter bag.:

Sounds like my type of retreat :) , sadu.
    jae
  • Dobs said:

I've done a couple of 10 day retreats meditating 10-12 hours a day. Would like to have a go at one 30 days or longer.

I wonder how people manage this. Isn't it boring, doing nothing? :eek2:

Maybe, this is where karma is relevant.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I also do the 'runaway' to the woods in a tent with material...hahaha

I'm not speaking for other organizations......I just cant afford the
    retreats here. Yes, I'm lucky to be a stones throw away from a
    full monastery....but the money just isn't there..... $400-$600
    a week. The last retreat here...when TNH visited, I couldn't pass
    up the opportunity, so I did the one day ....$50.... Like @how said....
    I have learned to do retreats at home. The longest here at home was
    a full week-end.. (Thurs night - Monday morn)......you can find templates/examples/suggestions online....

Edit: Because I am so close...we ( Temple Sangha here)...usually make
    a day trip to visit on mindfulness days. We walk, listen to dharma talks
    and eat/visit/talk, then leave.
    jaeInvincible_summerlobster
    Vastmind said:

I also do the 'runaway' to the woods in a tent with material...hahaha

I'm not speaking for other organizations......I just cant afford the
    retreats here. Yes, I'm lucky to be a stones throw away from a
    full monastery....but the money just isn't there..... $400-$600
    a week. The last retreat here...when TNH visited, I couldn't pass
    up the opportunity, so I did the one day ....$50.... Like @how said....
    I have learned to do retreats at home. The longest here at home was
    a full week-end.. (Thurs night - Monday morn)......you can find templates/examples/suggestions online....

That really just puts a bad taste in my mouth...where I go to retreats(bhavana society of west Virginia) ive never had to pay a dime.. Paying for dhamma just doesnt make sense to me and im not sure id pay to see even ajahn brahm.
    edited January 2014
    ^^^ I know...but I understand the logistics of it...
    The church 'building fund'. hahaha ....they built a new hall and
    staying quarters for him...so....believe me...I know THAT
    taste.... Maybe If I spoke up.....I'm not saying I would have
    been turned away...but you know how that goes.....The cost for
    tents was cheaper...but I would have had to go buy a bigger tent for
    the family to attend.
    ...so more money...hahaha

W.V...is doable for us, so we have talked about visiting there....
    Chaz
    Clarification:
    I think it's more of a logistics/pay your share of the lights
    and/or food....than the building fund. The building fund
    was 'voluntary' and/or addition to the cost....in NY, where
    my hubby travels back and forth....He says he pays $5 for
    a visit/drop in sit in Brooklyn and the price goes on from there....
    May I ask other's here ??.......
    How does it work where you go?
    Just out of curiosity.....
    jae said:

@Chaz...just read the link...fascinating. Can you tell me as I don't understand how a solitary retreat can help others? No offence intended whatsoever...is it about prayers? Does he meet people along the way and 'spread the word' or get involved in the community ?

The help people get from retreat practice is via the merit that is accumulated and dedicated to the benefit of beings. Retreat practice is thought to be especially meritorious because of the intensive enviornment of the practice. Solitary practcie is much more instensive that that so it's though to accumulate more merit

In Yongey Mingur's practice lineage, every practice is followed by a dedication. Here is a dedication used in the Kagyu lineage:
    By this merit may all attain omniscience.
    May it defeat the enemy, wrongdoing.
    From the stormy waves of birth, old age, sickness and death,
    From the ocean of samsara, may I free all beings.
    The intention of the practice, then, is that the merit will be of benefit to all beings. It's a very Mahayana way of looking at individual practice. People may not be benefit immediately though the practice, but as time goes on ....

Yogic practice can benefit beings in other ways. As the letter in the link descibes, Rinpoche encounttered a Lama who asked, earnestly, to attend to Rinpoche and he accepted Lama. This is a wonderful opportunity for the Lama as he'll be able to recieve teachings from Rinpoche under very special and meritorious circumstances. Yogis are often asked to teach on their travels and they do. Khenpo Rinpoche was asked to build a nunnery while on his travels in Tibet.

jae
    Jayantha said:

That really just puts a bad taste in my mouth...where I go to retreats(bhavana society of west Virginia) ive never had to pay a dime.. Paying for dhamma just doesnt make sense to me and im not sure id pay to see even ajahn brahm.

That's a quaint sentiment, at least, but very naive I'm afraid.

Ajan Brahm is in Australia If we, in the US, wanted him to teach here, we'd have to buy him plane tickets, house, feed and otherwise entertain him. We'd need a facuility, probably consecrated, to hold the event and that comes with expense. All of that costs money. Someone will have to pay it. Who better than the students will directly benefit from those teachings?

Same applies to retreat centers. At my center I get an excellent, quiet room, two group practice sessions, three meals and grazing food as well, coffee, tea, water (hot and cold) showers heat, electricity, two resident monastics for counsel and a cook to prepare meals. All that costs money and there are no money trees grow on the property. So the operating costs are borne, in part, though fees paid by retreatants.

And I'm okay with that.

My retreat center charges $35 dollars a night. I think that's a bargain at twice the price.

I pay $40/month Sangha dues. Most of that goes to maintaining the Sangha and the left over is gifted to our guru, who, oddly enough, always returns the check uncashed. The funds go to maintain the sangha - electricity, water, rent - and I'd pay more if I could, but it all costs money.

Even that monastery you're supposed to enter costs money to run. Who do you think gets to pay for it, because someone, somewhere has to.

anatamanInvincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Jayantha
    A Buddhist organization I knew started focusing on the purchase and set up of a monastery out of town. Eventually this dominated all their activities and talks to the point where they sounded obsessed and evangelical about it all. Every time I went there I felt like I was getting a persistent sales job by a cheer leading squad.

To me this was actually teaching that the 4NT only needed to be paid attention to whenever avarice (in this case in a spiritual dress) wasn't sauntering by. Just another worldly mind with the job of wearing robes accepting alms from devoted lay followers.

Buddhist set ups do need to be funded somehow. What disturbs me though is when the building or maintaining of said organizations don't have the willingness to follow the teachings they purport to represent..

Invincible_summerlobster
    Chaz said:

Jayantha said:

That's a quaint sentiment, at least, but very naive I'm afraid.

Ajan Brahm is in Australia If we, in the US, wanted him to teach here, we'd have to buy him plane tickets, house, feed and otherwise entertain him. We'd need a facuility, probably consecrated, to hold the event and that comes with expense. All of that costs money. Someone will have to pay it. Who better than the students will directly benefit from those teachings?

Same applies to retreat centers. At my center I get an excellent, quiet room, two group practice sessions, three meals and grazing food as well, coffee, tea, water (hot and cold) showers heat, electricity, two resident monastics for counsel and a cook to prepare meals. All that costs money and there are no money trees grow on the property. So the operating costs are borne, in part, though fees paid by retreatants.

And I'm okay with that.

My retreat center charges $35 dollars a night. I think that's a bargain at twice the price.

I pay $40/month Sangha dues. Most of that goes to maintaining the Sangha and the left over is gifted to our guru, who, oddly enough, always returns the check uncashed. The funds go to maintain the sangha - electricity, water, rent - and I'd pay more if I could, but it all costs money.

Even that monastery you're supposed to enter costs money to run. Who do you think gets to pay for it, because someone, somewhere has to.

Oh I just thought money grew on trees...*face palm*

Bhavana Society, one of the biggest and busiest forest monasteries in the country, hosting monthly retreats and visiting whenever youd like, is always totally free. of course it costs money to run, but its totally from donations. Its just three monks and a couple residents living there full time. When you know the value of a place and its dhamma teaching and know that without your help it could go away, you want to do whatever you can to make sure it stays.

I have heard that places that do charge will often allow people to come even if they can't pay, which is good. But I just wouldnt want to pay(even though i probably give more money then if they charged) , im not nieve, just principled regarding dhamma and how it should be free. Bhante G made Bhavana free and i hope it always will be.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    @Jae my retreats have been mostly unplanned.

For instance I went to a 4 day conference in Washington. The night before I was due to return home, that unpronounceably named volcano Eyjafjallajökull erupted in Iceland and stopped me flying home for more than a week.

It became an enforced retreat. But, as I was forced to stay in the States in a hotel room in solitary confinement I learned a lot about myself. I had no money (I had lost my credit card on the way out, and had a very limited supply of cash). I came to understand how dependent I was on other people, especially my wife.

Indeed I had to walk nearly 10 miles when I ran out of cash to obtain money from the nearest money transfer centre and was dependent on a christian hotel clerk to help me get around, and advise me how I should not get mugged. The local neighbourhood wasn't great apparently.

England looked, felt and smelled like a very different place when I arrived home and I really appreciated what I had after that.
    Chazjae
  • Money is not the issue
    http://theofferingbowl.com/index.php/how-it-works

Beginners should get some instruction and inspiration. Many monasteries have voluntary only retreats.

Personally I believe advanced practitioners/monks should be set to work to pay people to attend retreats. Which is not so far from the truth . . .

Now let me think of reasons to go on retreat. :buck:
    It is important to see how Buddhist practice changes people. You can hear it in person. It may be a challenge for you. Good.
    You may learn something to your advantage.

Here is my last formal Yinyana retreat, I had already been ex-communicated for going on retreat. I used the time to learn a mantra. I brought all my own Buddhas and a moth.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    There are more than a few retreat centres that operate on a donation-only/"pay-what-you-think-it's-worth" basis, and they are still in operation after many years.

I believe all Goenka centres operate this way (correct me if I'm wrong).

How do they manage it?
    Jayantha said:

im not nieve, just principled regarding dhamma and how it should be free. Bhante G made Bhavana free and i hope it always will be.

OK, you're not nieve, but certainly idealistic.

Money turns the Wheel of Dharma. Period. Money determines the quality of teaching we recieve. Money is what brings teachers to our sangha. Money supports the Monastic Sangha. Money keeps the lights on. Someone has to pay for it at some point and if the bills don't get paid, then what?

It would be nice if everything was free, but that truth is, that nothing in this world is free. I think it's awesome that there are places where you won't be "charged" for a retreat or a class. Dana is all well and good, but if I and everyone else showed up for a 5-day retreat and gave them 10 bucks at the end, that center wouldn't last two months. I know people who routinely take advantage of Dana to do retreats and so on, who could easily afford to pay, even a gifted payment at the end. They are basically gaming the system, because they can. These centers are always on the verge of insolvency, so if they want money up front, no problem.

So, I have absolutely no problem being told a retreat will cost me $35 bucks a night and I ALWAYS leave a gift of cash and coffee beans at the end (Khenpo likes good coffee). M y guru's gonna be teaching at Naropa for a week in April and it will cost $400. It will go to support my Guru and Naropa. I'm okay with that too. If those monies aren't there then Rinpoche will stay in Seattle. I'd then have to travel there, which would cost a LOT more than $400 and the airlines, car rental companies and motels don't run on Dana.
    anataman
    I will admit to being too idealistic regarding many things in life, can't deny that. You also make valid points.

There are more than a few retreat centres that operate on a donation-only/"pay-what-you-think-it's-worth" basis, and they are still in operation after many years.

I believe all Goenka centres operate this way (correct me if I'm wrong).

How do they manage it?

They probably have benefactors who remain somewhat anonymous. I would imagine endowments and other such gifts are carefully managed and invested.

Invincible_summerlobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    jae said:

Is it something you would recommend for a beginner?

Yes, definitely, though not too long initially. They can be really good for developing your meditation practice, as well as a nourishing break from the daily grind back home.
    I'd suggest going to a retreat centre or monastery with monks or experienced lay Buddhists - is there anywhere near where you live?
    Chaz
    edited January 2014
    Chaz said:

One place I've been to in the UK charges about £30 a night. Another place is donation only, but something similar is suggested.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @SpinyNorman.. No retreats in Guernsey but I don't mind travelling to the UK or France.
    jae said:

@SpinyNorman.. No retreats in Guernsey but I don't mind travelling to the UK or France.

Then you won't have any trouble finding something.

Find a group retreat that offers a mix of teaching and practice. I wouldn't do more than three days for a first time. Don't get in over your head - a retreat may be offering advanced teachings and practices and it can be very frustrating spending a weekend working with stuff thats beyond you, so be sure to ask questions about the retreat material and it's suitability before you commit. Many retreats will offer a checklist of things you should bring both essentials and optionals. Make sure you have the essentials. If you have any health or dietary needs make sure they are aware of it. Make sure you have people on the outside who know precisly where you are and how to contact you in an emergency. Other things that may be helpful would include knowing how long meditation sessions will last and try to make sure you can sit comfortably for that long.

And plan on enjoying yourself.

Vastmindjaecvalue
    One more thing - if there are any teachers you like, check around to see if they'll be teaching somewhere you can reach.
    Vastmindcvalue
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Chaz thanks for the helpful advice. Just being away will be enough reason to enjoy....I love adventures
    Chaz
  • jae said:

I gather that there is a Zen group and a Thich Nhat Hahn Interbeing group on Guernsey, do they not organise retreats jae ?
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Citta...I was meant to go to the Zen meeting last Thursday for the first time, I cancelled as I got my rescue lurcher and couldn't bear to leave home!

I met the lady that runs it last Tuesday when I went to the other buddhist meeting (Interbeing group) first meeting and group meditation ever...was a nice evening but I was very uncomfortable! The hosts were lovely and I stayed for a cup of tea after, really warm group of people.

I will see her tomorrow evening so I will ask her about retreats then, have you ever heard of The Venerable Myokun from the Shobo-an Zen temple in London ? He/she? Is coming over to Guernsey end of the month and visiting the Zen group I'm hoping to attend, not sure what its all about but interested to find out.

• jaejae Veteran
    @Citta ...would be great if they held them in Guernsey...or even one of the smaller islands, are you in the Uk? Have you heard of Herm or Sark? Sark is one of my favourites its like going back in time, no cars just a few tractors and horses and carts, I've spent a lot of time in those islands and hope they never change (the Barclay brothers are trying hard to change it sadly) They live on Brecqhou, just off Sark.
  • I have been to Herm @jae...beautiful. That white beach..
    I have seen Sark on TV. It looks wonderful. In fact there is a series of 'Island Parish ' on currently featuring Sark.
  • jaejae Veteran
    The lovely Shell beach... Belvoir is our favourite but we are normally in the harbour or the campsite....did you stay in the Whitehouse, camp or one of the cottages? (Can you imagine a retreat there...awesome)

Yes the island parish, my partner used to fish with Baz Adams, he and his wife run a guest house in Sark and I would recommend it, we stayed there August for a friends wedding his parents live there.

You can hire bikes, the best way to see the island....this link is the video of that wedding and for me it captures the essence of the day and the beauty of Sark......(plus it was a day filled with love)

(hope it works im a bit of a technophobe) The video is put together by a local guy, graphic desiner for specsavers...he did an execptional job, his gift to the bride and groom.

If you ever plan to go let me know and I will do all I can to help...could even book your ferry crossing from UK as I work for the company.

• jaejae Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Oops maybe this time...

• jaejae Veteran
    Nope!!!! Anyway it was a lovely day!
  • We just went for the day from Guernsey @jae..it was a beautiful September day and Herm was like a little mediterranean island shimmering in the heat.
    jae
    jae said:

I met the lady that runs it last Tuesday when I went to the other buddhist meeting (Interbeing group) first meeting and group meditation ever...was a nice evening but I was very uncomfortable! The hosts were lovely and I stayed for a cup of tea after, really warm group of people.

Jae, this site might be helpful if you haven't seen it: http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/
  • jaejae Veteran
    @SpinyNorman... cheers I'll have a look later.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Citta.... oooo my vid has been posted ... spooky!!!