Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the myth of marital happiness

oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
edited January 2014 in General Banter
I've met and had personal conversations with hundreds, maybe thousands of couples. I'm havIng a bit of a conundrum...I cannot remember ever having seen a relationship in which the people were happier together than alone. Additionally, I may have never seen a relationship in which both parties feel that their mate or coupling is an ideal situation. Is the idea of successful relationship a myth?
I've even met people who have been married for 30+ years...they successfully coexist...but still even after so many years they have cyclical arguments and intermittent periods of complete misery.
Have any of you had a positive outcome from a relationship, (besides children), and are any of your relationships free from cyclical arguments, horrible tensions, etc? I may be having an epiphany...that due to current human's tiny lifespan and lack of universal self mental/emotional control, love is not possible.
Don't mean to be depressing...it's just that I've always had a rather strong belief in love and romance, and admitting to myself that it probably does not exist is actually quite...
liberating.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    As a single man who was in a relationship, I cannot say that either is "smooth sailing". Each has its benefits and drawbacks. But I would far rather be in a good relationship.
    oceancaldera207rohitInvincible_summer
  • oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Is there such a thing? I've never actually seen one to the best of my recollection. Even the most stable ones I've seen still seem to have that air of 'both parties have settled'. I've never seen what I had understood as love growing up...I think I may have been deluding myself in to thinking such things were possible.
    For example even if you consider that your relationship was better than being alone, the volitile nature of emotion and life span end up causing so much pain anyway that it hardly seems to be worth it.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I left Thailand because my partner refused to make 2 simple adjustments in his life. Had he been willing, I think it would have been a permanent relationship. I think 2 Americans in the same situation (as opposed to having to deal with the Thai mindset) would have made the adjustments needed in a similar setting. I know that sounds "racial", but there is a Thai male mindset.
    edited January 2014
    Well, I hear what you guys are saying..it makes sense.. but at the same time I'd like to actually see, with my own eyes, a functional relationship in which both were passionate and were truly satisfied and didnt want anyone else.
    Maybe I just get vented on by people in relationships, so I have a skewed view of them.
    While I'm fairly good with women (my preference) , I've never had a serious relationship myself. I've never had anyone say I love you or anyone to come home to, or confide in. For the longest time I thought that was what I wanted more than anything else...but lately I try and try to think if I've ever seen that in real life with other people; not sure if I have.

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2014
    there are a few things going here. firstly the fact that marriage is an institution that no longer serves any societal purpose.

the second is that its pounded into peoples mind that you must marry and have children, just look at these subliminal messages from "they live" hehe. I think marriage is for some people, and not for others, but you see this in women especially that society seems to pound it into their head that if they are not married with kids by 30 they are an old hag doomed to wander the world alone.

I like how Brahm talks about single people's rights, and celibate peoples rights haha. People should do what they feel is right for them and be confident in that decision, even if it goes against societal norms.
    BunksChazmaartenInvincible_summer
    edited January 2014
    Well, I guess I'm talking more about 'true love' marriage rather than the institution of.
    I love that movie btw. Delightfully spooky.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Some statistic somewhere states men are 'happier' partnered up than single. For women, the difference between 'happier single' or 'happier married' was not as significant.

It's ironic that it seems as though it is the opposite way around with young folks. Women seem much more committed relationship oriented than men of the same age. Maybe there is a statistic about this one? Just my observation.

Women are also more sensitive about being single, it seems. I've been a member of a women's issues group for several years, and so many come right out and say they feel 'less than' if they are single. They feel shame for being single, as if it were a sign of their inadequacy. I wonder if this is related to the fear women my age and older grew up with, that we were not safe in this world without a man to provide for them etc etc. Since almost all women work and make equal wages to men, I wonder too if some women's need for a man is more about status among other women. Look at all the news stories of young mothers who leave their babies home with their latest boyfriend (who is unemployed) who abuses or kills the children. Those women aren't looking for financial security, it's something else.

My grandparents were married for 66 years. They were pretty much a single organism. They had their issues but I heard about them rather than witnessed them. They didn't gush love and affection at each other, they just seemed grown together like two trees planted close together.

I'm gratefully single after two pretty horrible marriages, spaced 13 years apart. I haven't experienced a long term intimate relationship with a 'peer' human being (not a child). I had a very close girlfrirend for 10 years, and we grew apart, my decision. I ended the marriages as well. I could blame it all on THEM but that wouldn't be true. Intimate relationships are, for me, more difficult than the benefits. I just haven't experienced the benefits to the degree some fortunate ones have.

But I do agree we underestimate the crucible aspect of intimate relationships and overestimate the value of romantic love. We paint very unrealistic pictures in pervasive media that sinks in and proliferates assumptions.

It's very hard, but probably the most important thing a person can do; to honor a commitment, within reason, to allow the crucible to do it's work on you. Both of my marriages were to men with drug addictions and such damage that they were abusive. Still I learned countless invaluable life lessons from those experiences.

Maybe it's that, more than the temporal success of any relationship, that is more important. What we learn, what we allow to impact us, and how we come to understand we may be individuals but in essence are not. What we give to those we commit to, however brief, is more important than a quantity of time as well.

Gassho :)
    oceancaldera207Vastmind
  • hmmmm..........

dont forget About the myth of the happiness of being unmarried……

I've met and had personal conversations with hundreds, maybe thousands of couples. I'm havIng a bit of a conundrum...I cannot remember ever having seen a relationship in which the people were happier together than alone. Additionally, I may have never seen a relationship in which both parties feel that their mate or coupling is an ideal situation. Is the idea of successful relationship a myth?
    I've even met people who have been married for 30+ years...they successfully coexist...but still even after so many years they have cyclical arguments and intermittent periods of complete misery.
    Have any of you had a positive outcome from a relationship, (besides children), and are any of your relationships free from cyclical arguments, horrible tensions, etc? I may be having an epiphany...that due to current human's tiny lifespan and lack of universal self mental/emotional control, love is not possible.
    Don't mean to be depressing...it's just that I've always had a rather strong belief in love and romance, and admitting to myself that it probably does not exist is actually quite...
    liberating.

edited January 2014
    Well..to be honest I'm quite happy alone, especially when I'm practicing heavily. But still I do feel that hole in my life. I think that if I could, I'd permanently disconnect all the love and reproduction 'wires' if you will...for one because I so often see other peoples relationships as utter nightmares. Im beginning to think that the chances of myself having a positive one are virtually infinitesimal. 

If there were a switch, that I could flip to be permanently done with all romantic love...I seriously think I might flip it. I never thought I'd feel this way...but the longer I live the more I see the mess it truly is.
    Jeffrey
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Just keep practicing dhamma and you will naturally become disenchanted with love and marriage and sex.

I haven't had a girlfriend in nearly 4 years and have not felt like i missed out, infact im looking to become the ultimate societal rebel and become a celebate monk. It's not something ive done through force of will, but naturally through the practice.
    JeffreyBunks
  • Is there such a thing? I've never actually seen one to the best of my recollection. Even the most stable ones I've seen still seem to have that air of 'both parties have settled'.

It's really impossible to judge a relationship from the outside. I've known couples who fight like cat and dog, who seem always on the brink of splitting up, yet remain steadfastly devoted to each other. Other apparently contented couples end up divorced. There's a lot going on in relationships that can't be seen by observers.
    VastmindDharmaMcBum
  • I am happily married. I think my wife would say that she is too.
    It does happen.
    But there are people who are happier single.

It would be surprising if that were not so ...wouldn't it ?
    lobster
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    I also am happily married (15years); of course we disagree and have the occasional blow-up. But one of us eventually says sorry, and we talk and discuss about what led to the blow up and then we move on, hopefully not repeating the same mistake - doesn't always work and a good slap across the face normally puts me right ;-)

My wife has the most amazing metaphorical slap btw - not many people can shut me up with a single sentence. I can imagine that some women on this site could as well, but that is not an invitation to assault me.
    jaeDandelionmaarten
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Damn. And there was I, poised......
    anatamanJeffrey
    federica said:

Damn. And there was I, poised......

I am always ready to metaphorically duck when I see you around @Federica.
    :bowdown:
    federicaCinorjer
  • I have seen one, my grandparents who met when they were in their mid 20s, my grandfather died a couple of years ago age 80 something with alzheimer's disease and my grand mother who is still alive at I think 83 looked after him. I write to her often and she is a trooper, they were very much a good couple until the day he died.

As for myself I really do not believe in marriage in the modern day and age, I deem it to be unnecessary for most couples, but that is just my opinion and nothing more. The person I love does not require a sheet of paper from whatever source be it a Christian church or corrupt government saying that I love her.
  • jlljll Veteran
    studies also show that people with pets Are healthier and live longer.

I know quite a few people who would like to get married but have been unsuccessful.

My guess is people who get married have more social skills than those who don’t. of course there are those who choose not to marry.

Tosh said:

Studies show that married people live longer. I think if I were single I'd be even more selfish and self centred than I usually am. And as Buddhists (though I don't class myself as such), aren't our partners our best teachers of patience and tolerance?

I've nick-named Mrs Tosh "Atisha's Cook". :D

As for Ajahn Brahm, he describes the 'suffering of being single' and the 'suffering of being married' quite well. Both are suffering, they're just different types of suffering.

For me personally, I need a good woman to keep an eye on me. Left to my own devices, I can get up to all kinds of mischief.

lobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Some happy days....some not.
    Going on 20 years here. First and only marriage.

Gratitude Aunt Fede for sharing your parents' story.
    I related to it in a lot of ways.

Yes, I've been working/getting better with the hell-raisin' ...... ;)
    I'm a work in progress, as the saying goes......

@federica

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited January 2014
    i think the cyical argument thing is born of a few factors: one is that it adds excitement and fire to an otherwise unstimulated exsistence (this is misplaced action in my opinion) and two is that it is the idea that people fall into roles and these arguments is a way to re-establish/solidify these roles, even if the role is unwanted. its a comfort thing, in a way.

i'm single right now because seeking truth is exciting enough for me and i am not sure what my role is even within myself so i am not ready to be comfortable and fulfil a RPG exsistence with only one other person as my co-star/opponent. But one day, that is bound to change. ;)
  • My definition of marital happiness is the result of luck and hard work. Marriage is like a living plant, it needs regular water, sun and fertilizer.

After the honeymoon, the couple find out that there are many things they both like, they have almost similar attitude regarding money, friends, family, lifestyle... They've already been friends long before they got married. They understand each other, they talk and listen to each other. They are both committed to their marriage and they are willing and happy (very important) to make some sacrifice for the other. Then they can look forward to a life long happiness together providing they must continue to work on it and never take their spouse for granted.

My marriage is like most other marriages. There are ups and downs. We are reasonably happy. But my husband now is my first and would be the last one. After him, I am happier to be single. No more husband please. :)
    jaeCinorjeranatamanbetaboy
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Cinorjer said:

Well, I hear what you guys are saying..it makes sense.. but at the same time I'd like to actually see, with my own eyes, a functional relationship in which both were passionate and were truly satisfied and didnt want anyone else.
    Maybe I just get vented on by people in relationships, so I have a skewed view of them.
    While I'm fairly good with women (my preference) , I've never had a serious relationship myself. I've never had anyone say I love you or anyone to come home to, or confide in. For the longest time I thought that was what I wanted more than anything else...but lately I try and try to think if I've ever seen that in real life with other people; not sure if I have.

Well, I've been satisfied and never wanted anyone else and neither has my wife, far as I know. But after over twenty years of marriage and sliding into old age, our passion is more like a warm sunbeam than a roaring fire.

There are lots of us around. We quietly go about our lives raising children or struggling to pay the bills and sometimes we argue and most of us probably aren't into public displays of affection so you won't be able to spot us in a crowd.

I know my own family looks at my wife and I like we've performed some miracle, finding happiness in each other's arms. Wish I could tell you the secret. Maybe we just got lucky. We both had a previous marriage that left us devastated, so we knew what not to look for. Maybe we both knew marriage isn't a magic fairyland of Happily Ever After, but equal parts responsibility and commitment. I don't know. All I know is, she's my wife and my best friend.
    Very well said. :)
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    They had an undying respect for one another; they stimulated one another mentally, and were never bored, ever.
    They never had television, but spent all their spare time feeding their intellects.

If that is a definition of Happiness, then they were in constant ecstasy.
    That's not the definition of happiness.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    What is happiness?? The absence of suffering??? Less suffering than usual??? Achieving one's desires??? Getting what you want????
    From person to person, happiness is a poorly definable word. Trying to apply it a couple as opposed to a single person just doubles it's variables.
    but
    If a single person sees happiness as helping others to be the best success that they can be, then that single person will be happy.
    If two people see happiness as helping their partners to be the best success they can be, then that couple will be happy.

That happiness thing (whether single or coupled) seems to largely depend on the priorities that you live by.

Cinorjeranatamancvalue
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    how said : " .......That happiness thing (whether single or coupled) seems to largely depend on the priorities that you live by. "

I'll amen that....... *throws a hand in the air*
    Cinorjer
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    betaboy said:

Is there anything sweeter than romance? Falling in love, lying in the arms of your beloved, the world disappearing when you look into her eyes............... well, what more could you want?

*half-expecting flippant comments*

Yes there are many things sweeter than romance, falling in love and those initial hours of lying in their arms. But it is in the top ten :)

It's also in the top ten most ephemeral, delusional and doomed to quick disillusionment. "Romance" is about as illusory as it gets.

I was in my mid thirties when I met my second husband, and when I 'fell in love' I felt alternately 13 years old and in physical agony. It was not pleasant, except briefly; it was 90% craving and anticipating which is UNPLEASANT. And talk about lust. That is also very unpleasant. I'd studied enough Buddhism by then to be aware of the dissatisfaction component inherent in 'wanting'. I never want to go through it again. Possibly because the relationship was doomed from the git go (I was a quintessential victim and he a quintessential self-absorbed sociopath), the negative intensity was ratcheted up higher than typical romances.

Even so, the craving for sweetness is so lopsided it cannot result in anything but dissatisfaction and disillusionment. The best relationships travel through these rough waters, from what I hear. A lot don't make it because one or both of the partners clings to delusional 'sweetness' at the expense of reality.

Romance is a lot like being very, very hungry and sitting down to your favorite meal. It's over in an hour, and then you have to do the dishes.

Gassho :)
    CinorjercvalueEvenThirdmmo
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    how said:

What is happiness?? The absence of suffering??? Less suffering than usual??? Achieving one's desires??? Getting what you want????
    From person to person, happiness is a poorly definable word. Trying to apply it a couple as opposed to a single person just doubles it's variables.
    but
    If a single person sees happiness as helping others to be the best success that they can be, then that single person will be happy.
    If two people see happiness as helping their partners to be the best success they can be, then that couple will be happy.

That happiness thing (whether single or coupled) seems to largely depend on the priorities that you live by.

I was waiting for your wise words @how

;)
  • Well it seems that at least a few of you have good relationships that aren't unending torment. I guess I just wanted some confirmation that healthy relationships aren't a complete myth

anatamanCinorjer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@oceancaldera207

I do have it pretty easy, relationship wise, at this point in my life. My present 20 year partnership started late enough in life to have my priorities established and for them to be a deciding factor in us choosing each other. We are both committed to meditation and have experience with monastic & lay experience. (zen & vipisana).
    We can bitch and fight like any couple but at the end of the day, pay more attention to our ego diet than our soap opera.
    I think that our relationship success is simply a reflection of our willingness to place practice above anything else.
    I think this applies just as much for any individual in a relationship.

• I have several happy couples in my extended family. Certainly it's possible to have a happy, mutually beneficial, long-term relationship.
    Yik_Yis_Yii
  • yagryagr Veteran
    I just saw this thread and while it has no doubt ran its course, my wife is my favorite topic and you'll be hard pressed to get me to pass by a thread of this sort.

I am a better person for having met her. Better still for having her in my life. I truly believe that I am the best version of me thus far because of her. I know how it sounds, but we've had cross words once in all the years we've been together and nothing approaching a fight.

She has patience when dealing with others that I could only dream of when we met. I watched and learned and am often told that I have the patience of a saint today. If they only knew... Too, when I do get angry at someone, I remember that their true nature is the same as my wife's...and it never fails to mitigate the anger. Never. It rarely worked when I told myself that their true nature was the same as mine.

I had a moment once... a vision or a hallucination, depending on what you'd like to call it... but I was at a gas station. I got out of the car and looked around and all I saw was her. The fellow pumping gas at the next pump, the woman behind the counter, etc., everyone. In that briefest of moments, I felt for everyone what I feel for her. Interestingly, the spell was broke when I looked into my side view mirror and saw myself. Nevertheless, the moment changed my life and she was the impetus...whoever she is.
    poptartanatamanCinorjer
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    cvalue said:

My definition of marital happiness is the result of luck and hard work. Marriage is like a living plant, it needs regular water, sun and fertilzer.

NOOOOOOOOOOO! No more fertilizer! We have three children and I have another 3! No more fertilizer!
    Seriously though, I think happy couples (marriage not a requirement) are those that change together as time passes. If they don't change together in a complimenting fashion then they won't be as happy. The greater the differential the less the happyness and greater the chance of splitting/divorce...
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

liberating.

This is so incredibly sad! I can't imagine not having had happy couples around when growing up, to model good relationships. Is it really that rare, these days? I see happy, contented couples everywhere. I remember my biology teacher in highschool telling us funny stories about when she was single, before she met her husband. She was able to turn her sad situation into funny stories, but there was no question she was happier married. And she's stayed in touch with the class. She and her husband attended our class reunion a few years ago. One of the women I work with is always glowing, and has such great energy, and she and her husband get along great.

I'm not saying there aren't unhappy couples, or that divorces don't happen. What I'm saying is that happy couples DO happen, and I wouldn't think they're that hard to find. Maybe it's a matter of shifting your focus?

Life is about relationships - a good marital relationship requires effort, thoughtfulness, concentration, love, support...
    Bunks
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @oceancaldera2007 - It sounds like you have some sort of archetypal relationship in your mind that you hold up every other relationship to. When people complain about something their significant other does, it doesn't necessarily mean they're miserable, unhappy, unsatisfied, or settling.

If you see a relationship in one way (e.g. "settling"), the couple involved in the relationship may feel completely differently. The couples' take on the relationship is what matters, not an outsider's view (abusive relationships aside).

My fiancee and I have been together for almost 9 years. We're high school sweethearts. From the outside, I could see how someone might think we're just settling or bored of each other - we don't do any extravagant displays of affection, we don't have our hands all over each other, we don't go out on "dates." But we both feel like we can't be more perfectly matched.

I recently read part two of a two-part blog post called "How to Pick Your Life Partner." I felt it did a really good job of breaking down the myths of being in a "happy" marriage or committed relationship. My favourite passage:
    From afar, a great marriage is a sweeping love story, like a marriage in a book or a movie. And that’s a nice, poetic way to look at a marriage as a whole.

But human happiness doesn’t function in sweeping strokes, because we don’t live in broad summations—we’re stuck in the tiny unglamorous folds of the fabric of life, and that’s where our happiness is determined.

So if we want to find a happy marriage, we need to think small—we need to look at marriage up close and see that it’s built not out of anything poetic, but out of 20,000 mundane Wednesdays.

Marriage isn’t the honeymoon in Thailand—it’s day four of vacation #56 that you take together. Marriage is not celebrating the closing of the deal on the first house—it’s having dinner in that house for the 4,386th time. And it’s certainly not Valentine’s Day.

Marriage is Forgettable Wednesday. Together.

So I’ll leave the butterflies and the kisses in the rain and the twice-a-day sex to you—you’ll work that part out I’m sure—and spend this post trying to figure out the best way to make Forgettable Wednesday as happy as possible.
  • I've met and had personal conversations with hundreds, maybe thousands of couples. I'm havIng a bit of a conundrum...I cannot remember ever having seen a relationship in which the people were happier together than alone. Additionally, I may have never seen a relationship in which both parties feel that their mate or coupling is an ideal situation. Is the idea of successful relationship a myth?
    liberating.

When we are alone, we crave to have a partner sometimes. The grass over the other side is always greener. That's probably a myth too.