Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Am I the most optimistic guy in the world?

I believe that a day will come when humanity shall live in a post-racial, hi-tech society, without any borders or nations, gods or masters.

Pessimists often say this is impossible, and they point to history - wars, brutality, etc. But I see great improvements even in those 'bad' things. For instance, people were punished in the past, they are being punished still. But the nature of punishment has changed - nobody is crucified or burned alive, no sadistic torture. Isn't that an improvement? Racism is still alive, but at least people aren't getting lynched after a two-minute trial. Wage slavery exists, but it is better than the slavery of old times where people were treated like animals/property.

Point is, we see a steady improvement despite the bad things that happen every so often. And if this improvement is sustained, is it all that unreasonable to conclude that, eventually, humanity will live in some sort of techno-paradise?

This is my view, and people say I am being overly optimistic. What do you think?

Comments

• jaejae Veteran
    @betaboy .... nice to see you being optimistic!! Don't go changin' :)
  • I think that sentient life will continue be characterised by Dukkha , Anicca and Anatta.
    BhikkhuJayasaraanatamanBunksInvincible_summer
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    the only way for this to happen is for humanity to lose everything that makes it human
    Invincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Simply be the improvement that you see for humanity.
    jaeInvincible_summer
  • Citta said:

I think that sentient life will continue be characterised by Dukkha , Anicca and Anatta.

That may be, but will technology at least make the dukkha more bearable? Not saying technology will make it vanish as if by magic ..... but at least help us to handle it better?
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2014
    betaboy said:

Citta said:

I think that sentient life will continue be characterised by Dukkha , Anicca and Anatta.

That may be, but will technology at least make the dukkha more bearable? Not saying technology will make it vanish as if by magic ..... but at least help us to handle it better?
    even if we become robocops, where only our brain exists inside a robot shell, we will still have dukkha, as shown in the movie when exploring the various attachments and emotions the character had even when he was "no longer human".

or maybe we will just turn into the people of the "neutral" planet from futurama lol

Invincible_summer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited January 2014
    betaboy said:

I believe that a day will come when humanity shall live in a post-racial, hi-tech society, without any borders or nations, gods or masters.

Pessimists often say this is impossible, and they point to history - wars, brutality, etc. But I see great improvements even in those 'bad' things. For instance, people were punished in the past, they are being punished still. But the nature of punishment has changed - nobody is crucified or burned alive, no sadistic torture. Isn't that an improvement? Racism is still alive, but at least people aren't getting lynched after a two-minute trial. Wage slavery exists, but it is better than the slavery of old times where people were treated like animals/property.

Point is, we see a steady improvement despite the bad things that happen every so often. And if this improvement is sustained, is it all that unreasonable to conclude that, eventually, humanity will live in some sort of techno-paradise?

This is my view, and people say I am being overly optimistic. What do you think?

You're not the only one. Perhaps one day they'll join us and the world will live as one. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know...

It's why hospitals get built and nobody complains too much. Humanity is only as bad as we make it but more of us wake up to this every day.

In all honesty I do see it happening. I think we are going to see through greed with the help of science and begin to work together for the common good.

I don't know if we will have extra-terrestrial intervention like on Star Trek but I do think those replicators are going to revolutionize life as we know it. Eventually, if we keep on playing with the particles within a vacuum, we're bound to be able to manipulate them.

You are not alone... I can see a global awakening of sorts on the horizon. I doubt I will live to see it happen but things happen fast so who knows?

jaeanatamanInvincible_summer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    @betaboy;

Did you really write that? I ask because from some of your other threads I wouldn't have guessed you would be pinned as an optimist. Have you had some kind of realisation?

I don't mean to sound rude so excuse me please if that question is off-putting.
    vinlyn
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited January 2014
    betaboy said:

This is my view, and people say I am being overly optimistic.
    What do you think?

If you cling to it then it may be 'overly' done.
    Otherwise, optimism or pessimism both are speculations of future events and in that sense seem as sides of the same coin.
  • I'm encouraged by certain trends (even though there's a backlash). I find inspiration and happiness when people belonging to marginalized groups turn their lives around and become beacons of hope and achievement.

But I'm not blind to the looming environmental crisis that global warming (driven by corporate greed) presents, nor to the tremendous suffering caused by human trafficking and sex slavery, to name but two major stumbling blocks facing humanity.

I think we need to be mindful of both sides, and rejoice in the positive, and bring compassionate action to bear on the negative.
    Davidjae
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Greed anger and delusion..............
    Uproot these and maybe we will arrive at your Utopia.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited January 2014
    betaboy said:

I'm overflowing with optimism!

Pessimism just brings me down!

There were 2 friends....
    One an Optimist the other a
    Pessimist, and they could never quite agree on any topic of discussion.
    One day the Optimist decided he had found a good way to pull his friend out of his continual Pessimistic thinking. The Optimist owned a hunting dog that could walk on water. His plan? Take the Pessimist and the dog out duck hunting in a boat. They got out into the middle of the lake, & the Optimist brought down a duck. The dog immediately walked out across the water, retrieved the duck & walked back to the boat. The Optimist looked at his Pessimistic friend & said, 'What do you think about that?' The Pessimist replied, 'Didn't I say before...That dog can't swim, can he?'

sova
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited January 2014
    i dont see communication technology helping people communicate better with each other, per se. i see it makes the communication easier/more conveneint, but better? that idea falls into value judgement, of course, but until i see more hugs out there on the streets, technology seems to be getting in the way more than opening people up. but we have to learn to walk before we run, so maybe we can figure out tech's place in humanity soon enough. right now i see it as just another thing to manage rather than another path to liberation. i am open to having my mind changed about it, though.
    anataman
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Someone once told me there is a test you can give a person to see if they're an optimist or a pessimist. It's one simple question:

"Do you think you have had more good or bad things happen to you in your life?"

Good = optimist
    Bad = pessimist

I'm definitely an optimist!!! My life is pretty bloody great.....
    jae
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    You might like to listen to this TED talk by Steven Pinker. In it he lays out how profoundly less violent our planet is today than it was in the past.

http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_pinker_on_the_myth_of_violence.html

Also HHDL regularly makes this same point about how in spite of the difficulties we face, there are a great many ways that we have improved our relations.
    Beejjae
    @person- interesting speech, indeed. i wasnt thinking in terms of violence in my post, but there is a valid argument for the the trickle down effect of tech creating a better playig field for humans in that video. the speaker did reference that the decline of violence has been for selfish reasons (i.e., another person is worth more to me dead than alive because of the network of trade that they are potentially involved in). This is what i was referencing: the selfish aspect that is born out of commnication tech. the general disregard of people around you, in real time, as opposed to who/whatever you are communicating with on your phone or computer. its like zombie time on the train, in my observations, when everyone is plugged in to their devices. i'm not saying i want to be hugged by eveyone i see, but us simply noticing each other would be a good start.

@person- interesting speech, indeed. i wasnt thinking in terms of violence in my post, but there is a valid argument for the the trickle down effect of tech creating a better playig field for humans in that video. the speaker did reference that the decline of violence has been for selfish reasons (i.e., another person is worth more to me dead than alive because of the network of trade that they are potentially involved in). This is what i was referencing: the selfish aspect that is born out of commnication tech. the general disregard of people around you, in real time, as opposed to who/whatever you are communicating with on your phone or computer. its like zombie time on the train, in my observations, when everyone is plugged in to their devices. i'm not saying i want to be hugged by eveyone i see, but us simply noticing each other would be a good start.

Putting expectations on how other people should behave will only bring disappointment my friend.......
    Bunks said:

Putting expectations on how other people should behave will only bring disappointment my friend.......
    wait... what are we talking about here?
    You just mentioned that you thought people should notice each other more on public transport.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    I can't be optimistic when we continue to have child slavery in the world and we destroy the earth through unsustainable resource extraction.
  • betaboy said:

Keep up the good work.
    :)
    I am optimistic that optimism is always possible.
    jae
    Bunks said:

You just mentioned that you thought people should notice each other more on public transport.

and you are advocating against my desire for that? i'm confused. is this just one of those "buddhist-ish" statements that could have been applied to basically any of the posts in this thread or any other post on this website? i just dont unerstand the contextual relevance to the conversation.
  • I believe a great crisis will arrive soon.

Oil shortage and water shortage and overpopulation will result in conflict
    and significant changes.

call me a pessimist if you like, but i dont see any serious efforts to avoid these crisis.
    betaboy said:

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    hermitwin said:

I believe a great crisis will arrive soon.

and significant changes.

call me a pessimist if you like, but i dont see any serious efforts to avoid these crisis.

Gee, I've never heard that prediction before.

• Global Water Shortage Pt.1 / BBC World News America

vinlyn said:

hermitwin said:

and significant changes.

Gee, I've never heard that prediction before.

• " If sentient life was any easier we would not need to awaken..
    If it was hopeless we would sink into despair.
    As it is human existence is in the Goldilocks zone..
    Its just right."

Luang Por Sumedho.
    Bunks

Bunks said:

and you are advocating against my desire for that? i'm confused. is this just one of those "buddhist-ish" statements that could have been applied to basically any of the posts in this thread or any other post on this website? i just dont unerstand the contextual relevance to the conversation.
    Yeah. Sorry mate. It was a pretty wanker-ish (is that a word!?) thing to say on my part.

I just had an epiphany the other day is all. Ignore me.

Beej
    edited January 2014
    hermitwin said:

and significant changes.

Oil shortage could be resolved by not relying on oil any longer for fuel. There's wind and water and solar power to be used in conjunction with electricity and who knows what other new propulsion systems we have on the go... Magnets, vacuums...

As for a water shortage, people have been converting ocean water to drinking water for a long time and many places are looking into conversion plants for cities.

I think doom and gloom prophecies are actually pretty irresponsible.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    ourself said:

Oil shortage could be resolved by not relying on oil any longer for fuel. There's wind and water and solar power to be used in conjunction with electricity and who knows what other new propulsion systems we have on the go... Magnets, vacuums...

As for a water shortage, people have been converting ocean water to drinking water for a long time and many places are looking into conversion plants for cities.

Bravo.

Has there ever been a time in man's history when doom and gloom prophecies didn't exist?

lobster
    Bunks said:

Bunks said:

Yeah. Sorry mate. It was a pretty wanker-ish (is that a word!?) thing to say on my part.

I just had an epiphany the other day is all. Ignore me.

No problem.

;)
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    betaboy said:

snippety snip . . .

I admit I see 'progress' in a very similar way. Technological progress exists right now that we chickens haven't been informed of. The way things are going, if we do not send ourselves back into the Stone Age (or get sent back by meteor impact, solar flare or some other cosmic event) our lives will be freer of the illnesses we just accept now, our life span could increase hugely, and when someone is murdered their memory crystal can be retrieved and a clone body grown for them. Heck, why not?

Even if our technology grows in capacity to such a point that we 'defeat' death, old age and sickness, we will never NOT have the unsatisfactoriness of form. Unless our technology enables a post-physical state, where typical human evil cannot manifest (yeah I have read a little too much science fiction) and we achieve Awakening by chopping off our physicality and letting loose the mind . . . we'll still suffer.

We suffer today in ways that would never make sense to an 18th century farmer in Russia. We suffer when the internet goes out. We suffer because he HATE to make midnight trips to the creepy gas station because there's no milk for tomorrow. We suffer a day or so of feeling BLAH after a flu shot, instead of just dying from flu, but it's enough for many people I know to staunchly refuse to get a flu shot.

Eh, I welcome greater and greater technology, with the hope humanity can keep up with it developmentally. We'll just suffer in ways we right now can't understand or imagine. Right now we live in an extraordinary time of huge techno progress over the course of a decade, so we have perspective of the improvement/annoyance of things like cell phones and the World Wide Web.

Gassho :)

• I don't get a flu shot so that I DO get the flu and produce a big response in my immune system to fight off future bugs. I think actually having flu inoculates in a superior way than a vaccine.
    Beejhow
  • jlljll Veteran
    History has shown time and again that humans only react when the crisis has hit.
    The must recent example was the financial meltdown of 2008 and the subprime crisis in USA.
    Past performance are good indicators of what will happen .
    How many of your friends are using green energy ?
    Amongst my friends and their friends, none,
    Not a single one.

As for using water , my neighbour will spray water on his driveway and surrounding areas when the weather is hot. He is not the only one.
    When I ask him, isn’t he wasting precious resource. The reply I got was ‘mind your own business, I pay my water bill, not you.’

ourself said:

hermitwin said:

and significant changes.

• jll said:

History has shown time and again that humans only react when the crisis has hit.
    The must recent example was the financial meltdown of 2008 and the subprime crisis in USA.
    Past performance are good indicators of what will happen .
    How many of your friends are using green energy ?
    Amongst my friends and their friends, none,
    Not a single one.

As for using water , my neighbour will spray water on his driveway and surrounding areas when the weather is hot. He is not the only one.
    When I ask him, isn’t he wasting precious resource. The reply I got was ‘mind your own business, I pay my water bill, not you.'

This is a pretty general statement.
    Not everyone got burned in the financial meltdown. And of those who did, many have got their money back in spades.
    Others, like myself, had no money in the market and didn't lose anything, except equity in property which is always a risk of property ownership.
    Many people did lose jobs that they may never get back it's true. And homes were lost by responsible homeowners.
    To understand the whole situation takes an open mind and a willingness to look closely.
    The same applies to resources.
    Water for example, isn't going anywhere. Local sources can be ruined by fracking, or pollution, or using up the aquifer.
    Where I live good water is as easy to get as digging a hole 12 ft deep. A few miles down the road they depend on a dammed creek, and have continual problems in the summer with usage restrictions. And we live in the wettest part of the country.
    I don't know what the situation is in your neighbourhood, but it may very well be that it only comes down to money to pay for water service, and there is no shortage.
    So your neigbour may have every right to use as much as he can afford to pay for.
    The same may not apply to fuel. People who can afford to burn more, really are doing it at the expense of the rest of us.