Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Charity- Who are you giving your money to?

matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur BodhisattvaSuburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
At least in some of the orthodox versions- charity is a big deal-- dana for itinerant monks (haven't seen on yet), charity for ordinary beggars mentioned in the Brahma Net Sutra. There is also an injunction to "release captive animals" in the Brahma Net Sutra (and other Mahayana sutras). Giving to alcoholic street beggars seems like idiot compassion-- I don't need to be their enabler, but I should give money to some organization to help them. Animal release is idiot compassion too, it creates demand for animals that were captured/raised only for Buddhists to buy and release them.

Farm sanctuaries seem to be a good bet-- they only "buy" the free/nearly free animals at auctions, so it alleviates the suffering of a few animals, with minimal encouragement of more bad behavior (farmers presumably would still rather sell a big healthy cow than to sell a sick, nearly dead one to a farm sanctuary for scrap value)

Who are you giving money to? Any Buddhist themed charities better than the others?

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    http://www.buddhistglobalrelief.org/ organised by Bhikkhu Bodhi
    matthewmartincvalueVastmind
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Actually, this one is my favourite... Go to http://www.dhammaloka.org.au/ and donate to the new Nuns monastery they're building.
    The earthworks have been done, and the foundations will be laid hopefully this month, most exciting for the nuns, who are currently crammed into a small house.
  • The ASPCA.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I think charities should be legally obliged to inform the public, openly, exactly what happens to the money they donate - How many of us are absolutely certain of what percentage of our donation is channelled to where? I was once extremely shocked to find that a charity I donated to, only funneled 15% of my donation to where I presumed all of it would go.
    matthewmartinVastmind
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    edited January 2014
    federica said:

I think charities should be legally obliged to inform the public, openly, exactly what happens to the money they donate...

Yeah, if you dig you can track down the gov't required disclosures that show how much when to marketing and administration. Big foundations like Bill Gate's also track down numbers on the effectiveness of the rest of the money (sort of like how many unwanted pregnancy are prevent per dollar by Family Planning)-- those stats would be as interesting as how much gets consumed by marketing and admin-- but AFAIK, the government doesn't require creating similar measures of effectiveness.
  • NeleNele Veteran
    Listen to this eye-opening TED talk on why measuring the efficacy of charities by overhead is wrong. I was astonished - as a person who donates consistently, I always tried to find that "overhead" number before I gave.

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pallotta_the_way_we_think_about_charity_is_dead_wrong.html
    robotmatthewmartinBunks
  • Nele said:

Listen to this eye-opening TED talk on why measuring the efficacy of charities by overhead is wrong. I was astonished - as a person who donates consistently, I always tried to find that "overhead" number before I gave.

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pallotta_the_way_we_think_about_charity_is_dead_wrong.html

Brilliant!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Still not happy unless the major part of my donation goes, as opposed to a small fraction. I would expect no less than 50%. And that's my absolute limit.
    matthewmartinBunks
  • I donate a little bit to the National Association of Mental Illness.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    1. A couple of NA school charities
    2. National Cancer Society
    3. A couple of organizations that help injured vets
    4. Heart Association
    5. Boys Town
    6. Special Olympics
    7. Save The Children
    8. (I've forgotten the exact name at the moment, but) an organization that is similar to Doctors Without Borders
  • ShakShak Veteran
    I prefer to give on a much more local level. The family in town who has a child with cancer, the family who lost their house to fire. When the Boy Scouts or Cub Scouts knock on your door during their Scouting for Food Drive give big. At our local food pantry the scouts are the single largest source of food donations for the year. I understand that not everyone agrees with national BSA policy, those kids do an awful lot of good work in their communities. In my community all are welcome and encouraged to participate. I give of my time very freely to our local troop.
    matthewmartin
  • ShakShak Veteran
    Actually, I think when we give our time and labor it can be much more meaningful.
    Vastmind
  • 1.FistulaFoundation
    2.SmileTrain
    3.DAV

Each of the above do a good job and the majority of donations go those in need.
  • wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I don't entirely trust any charity organizations but they do serve their purpose I suppose. If I had the extra money to give away, I would much rather enjoy the actual giving. You could hand out gifts to the people that desperately need it. In your free time you can go to a school for the handicapped and hand out school supplies for example. You can see where your charity goes. This is much more rewarding IMO.
    BunksVastmind
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Random homeless people, Local Buddhist temple, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, AKA PETA :D
    cvaluematthewmartinVastmind
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Shak said:

Actually, I think when we give our time and labor it can be much more meaningful.

I agree with you @Shak.

Unfortunately with work and a young family I don't have the time to give to organised charities.....however I think the time spent with my kids and wife is charitable!

Thankfully I earn a good income so financially, I give to:

1. World Vision

2. Red Cross

3. Doctors Without Borders

4. Homeless people (either throw them a couple of bucks or buy them food / coffee). Lately with this brutally hot weather in Australia I buy a couple of bottles of cold water and hand them out to homeless folk at lunch time.

5. The church I meditate in

6. Geelong Food Relief Centre

7. Asylum Seekers Resource Centre

8. Oxfam

9. The Buddhist Society of Victoria for the building of a Forest Monastery.
    cvaluematthewmartinVastmind
  • Thanks @JamestheGiant for this link:

http://www.buddhistglobalrelief.org/ organised by Bhikkhu Bodhi

I really like what they do. I will add this organization to my charity list.

Thanks @Jainarayan, I like ASPCA too and will add it to my list of donation.
    Jainarayan
  • I am broke!!!!!
    A good fix to be in.
    May your riches increase. I will dedicate/donate my morning merit/practice to your wealth. You certainly make good use of it.

OM YA HA HUM

:clap:
    Vastmindcvalue
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Books for Africa
    Red Cross
    Hope House (local for children affected by HIV/AIDS)
    nearby homeless shelters
    Le Bonheur Children's Hospital
    Bunksmatthewmartincvalue