Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

OK: Tecchie assistance required.....

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited January 2014 in General Banter
OK: General plea for some help: Am currently using a Apple MacBook laptop.

Opened it up this morning and.... the top toolbar is now absent, unless I shove the cursor up to the top edge, to make it appear, whereas it was a fixed feature yesterday. I keep seeing hints on line about 'right-click on the toolbar, select properties....' only, when I right-click on the toolbar - nothing appears and I don't know where dafuq to find 'properties'....!

Secondly, the google Chrome page with all the different tabs/webpages is now reduced in size and I keep having to enlarge the page by using the zoom/fill screen feature in the tools section.
This all worked perfectly well yesterday, and today, is showing these problems. The bad thing is - this is not MY computer. It belongs to someone else, and I want to leave it as I found it! Can anyone help me rectify these problems, please??

Bear in mind I'm not technically minded so simple answers with words of no more than 3 syllables - and the rightful owner is worse than I am, so I don't want to leave it for them to discover the problems, because they will just panic!

Comments

• matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Could it be this?
    First, move you mouse to the top of the screen, then the menu bar should appear temporarily. Then look at the top right of the menu bar, the should be a pair of diagnal arrows that are highlighted, usually in blue. Click it, problem solved.
    ref: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4750134

• I know next to nothing about a mac. But if someone does and also has a mac they can do screen sharing with you where they take over your screen and can fix things on your computer.

Does anyone have a mac who knows what they are doing?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Could it be this?

First, move you mouse to the top of the screen, then the menu bar should appear temporarily. Then look at the top right of the menu bar, the should be a pair of diagnal arrows that are highlighted, usually in blue. Click it, problem solved.
    ref: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4750134

Nope. No blue arrows, nothing...

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Paging @Lincoln.
    Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Bumped

May someone come help our Aunt Fede......please!!!!
  • Have you tried restarting it?

My work got me an MBP last week, so I have been learning my way around it. I would be happy to take a look via google hangouts screen sharing.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "have you tried restarting it"..... :lol:
    people aren't getting this - it happens every single time I start it up!!
    That's the problem - it happened out of the blue, one day, when I fired the damn thing up, and I can't get it to revert to the way it was!!

There is no such thing as a 'restore system' on an AppleMac either, as there is in Microsoft.... And there is absolutely no way on this earth, or any other planet, dimension parallel universe or plane of existence that I can obtain the 'start-up disk'....

Thanks @fivebells, though...... :D
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    go to menu bar click view then scroll down and click exit full view
    Hopefully that is the apple menu bar sorted
    edited January 2014
    size the Chrome browser window to the desired size (clicking mouse on the edge of the window) and then click and hold 'cmd Q' then reopen chrome - this will have fixed the sizing issue?
    No. In both cases.
    what menu bar are you talking about is it the chrome menu bar, finder or another

I am surprised the chrome window size did not fix it as this is a known bug
    can you get a screen shot of your menu bar view tabs

you need to use an image capture programme like'Grab' which is on the mac

then capture the image using the timer function under Capture in the file menu - but then to upload the image you need to convert to a .jpg - easy if you have photoshop because you can then upload it and save as a jpeg image

like this:

you can also use an online image converter if that is a problem http://image.online-convert.com/
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1558235

the only other thing to do if you've got the balls for it (if its not your computer you'll wipe all the cached pages and passwords etc) - is to go to:

Chrome

Preferences - which brings up the settings and then click on the hyperlink: advanced settings at the bottom and then go down to the last button reset browser settings.

Alternatively update it to the latest version and if that fails, uninstall chrome and then install it again, remember to export all your bookmarks/passwords etc to another browser like safari first, they can always be imported again later. Cant offer anything else. Good luck.

• Missed that part, @federica. Still happy to take a look via google hangouts, if you want. I'm traveling all today starting about an hour from now, though, so it would have to be Friday.
    @anataman - everything you just explained went completely over my head, and I haven't got a clue wtf you are talking about. I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for things like 'grab' or even how to use it.

I tell you, technology has left this quasi-sexagenarian crawling about blind and deaf....All I know is that the 'commands' along the very top grey bar starting from the left, are as follows:

Apple symbol, then Chrome File Edit View History Bookmarks Window Help.
    To the right are a load of symbols, denoting different programmes, I would guess....

The first is apparently 'dropbox'... but as to the rest, even when I put the cursor on them, no identifying label appears. I don't have a clue what they are....

Beneath it is a standard chrome page/screen with symbols of various frequently-used web pages.
    Directly under the top toolbar, is another bar with various 'bookmarks'.

Both the toolbar and the bookmarks bar disappear when I move the cursor down the screen. If I go to the top of the screen with the cursor, they appear again, but if I have tabs open, and i click on one, the top of the tab disappears, together with the toolbar/bookmarks bar.

What the hell is a 'Google hangout'....?
    OK - you are as techie as my wife - useless!

When do you need this sorted by? I've got tomorrow am free!
    I am pretty sure I know whats happening and its down to your settings and some cumbersome finger work, and because for the next 24 hours I will become aMACman just for you. Sorry couldn't resist the pun. I'll PM you with my number and talk you through it if you can cope with a man sighing because well thats men do!

mettha
    You're in the UK, right...?
    Yes. I have a space in my diary probably between 10-11 GMT... but will have to confirm around 9 am. Currently my BT landline is down at the moment, but am assured it will be fixed by 3 feb 2014. because thats what happens when you want to help someone out, everything becomes challenging but I like a nice challenge.
    Ok.... I'll PM you my number, or you PM me yours.....

Perhaps life was easier when...
    Vastmind
    Definitely..!

Just to advise everyone:
    After having engaged my very own personal Computer whizz-kid techie, I can now happily announce that through trial and error, clicking and selecting, opening and closing windows, tabs and any other options, we arrived at a conclusion:

It's phukked.

That is to say:

The laptop is very old.
    Chrome keeps updating and installing new..... thingies, but it means that at one point, Chrome's updates proved too much for this old laptop, and reached a point of 'incompatibility'.
    In othe word, the laptop can't cope with anything this new from Chrome, and now functions in a way only it can.

Ho-hum.... Ageing has its downside....! :D
    anatamanVastmind
    edited January 2014

last joke I promise!
    federicaVastmind
    Hey you promised not to be harsh on me @Federica - for 1 month (damn why is February the shortest month of the year!)
    Thank you so much for all your help... even though the conclusion was that there actually is no conclusion, that's a conclusion in itself.

Man, that's deep..... :D

At least now I know what to tell the owner.

It wasn't me, I never did it!!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    It's karma!
  • This thread is a good lesson on dependent origination. :p
  • Google hangouts screen sharing and remote access.

Hangouts demo

I'm using hangouts to help teach a guy in the Philippines to program. It's very handy.
    It's good, and sounds like you are employing it in a positive way, but I would be reluctant to let anyone I didn't know or trust explicitly access my computer remotely. That's why I have a firewill - keep everyone out there on the net and not playing on my nut.

Apart from the NSA of course who have access to all my secrets courtesy of google, apple and microsoft (how you doing boys in the background there, found anything useful - no thats my kids DT homework - he's designing a roman catapult. btw I suggest you don't go to that file marked 'empty.exe', in the 'selfless' folder, it will quite literally blow your mind) there that should keep them busy for a while whilst I remove the really important files.

federica
    edited January 2014
    Now this is odd....
    I'm in safari, right?
    Just one web page/tab open. I minimise window by clicking on the top left-hand centre button - the yellow one.
    The screen reduces in size to half. So I can now also partly see the desktop.
    I then select the green button with the presumed intention of expanding the image to fit the screen again - and it only increases by about 10%, and now I can't get it to fully fit the screen any more...

WTF gives....?!
  • try hitting the yellow instead of the green. It might be a toggle.
    OMG... I - FIXED IT!!

Even the problem in Chrome - toolbar, bookmarks bar - all back, functioning and working!

I noticed three tiny diagonal lines right in the very bottom R/hand corner of the screen image... very faint, could hardly see them.... I thought - "hang on, those lines are not purely decorative - they don 't show anywhere else, so it's not a 'pretty pattern'....!"

So I clicked on them, "pulled"... and the image expanded to fill the screen!
    It was off-centre though, and too far to the right - so I played around with the cursor, placing it here and there... and then, suddenly, the whole image moved... so I aligned it to the left edge, and pulled on the three small diagonal lines again -and - HEY PRESTO!!
    It worked!!

The image now fills the page and it's all working - both in Safari AND Chrome!!

That is so cool!!
    VastmindJeffreyZeroanataman
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Now back away from this computer and hand it back intact to the owner while it is still working!
    Nah... I'm getting distinctly blasé about this now..... If anyone needs any help....

:lol:
    lobsterVastmindZeroanataman
    Incidentally, I see the same pattern of diagonal lines in the bottom R/H corner of the comment box...and it works the same way....
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    What!!!The quiet before the storm/the last couple of days of panic were actually stimulating/ the computers owner isn't really that good of a friend/ I wonder how much jam this computer really has?
  • federica said:

Nah... I'm getting distinctly blasé about this now..... If anyone needs any help....

:lol:

Feel superior while you can. The machines will win . . .
    http://www.ahajokes.com/com093.html

I had to install three versions of Linux to get SecondLife to work acceptably just yesterday where were you when I needed you . . . wait . . you don't know what I am talking about do you . . .

You can take a mac product into an official mac store and they should assist you for free. However that superior feeling of having done better than the techies and other helpers is priceless . . .

federica
    My machine is winning help! ... I am getting the error message
    here (NB) that I need to enable Javascript....I have already gone through
    my browser settings and the box is checked. I also have restarted it, hehe.
    How will I function here without my emoticons ? The horror !!! (Yes, I can still
    post and talk) hahaha
    Can't edit...I'm adding here....Seems to work other places...maybe our
    admins are dusting and vacuuming. I love to see men clean...hahaha.
    I'm off to run errands and I'll try again later....
    Ok...must not be an admin thing.....I see other people trucking
    along.....I'm still injured....I'll call some friends and see what I can
    figure out.....
    edited February 2014
    Same error messages.....I can work fine on all my other
    sites...just not NB ..... I've installed java again....but nothing changed.
    Any suggestions? Damn...you guys know this is my spot! I can't do
    anything here now *sad face* To be cont.....

Sorry guys...I wont post about it again...It must be something with
    Chrome, I just tried my AOL desktop shortcut and it gives me some
    of my options back....edit and the little tool bar above the comment
    box. No emoticons. Oh well. I think my smile face will still pop up
    if I do it manually.... :)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Vastmind, if I could help you I would. After you fix my slow connection speed, I'll fix your emoticons!

Hey, guess what. I don't think it's you. My emoticons aren't working either.
  • emoticons down on Ipad, typing them in manually and they still appear :) eg : ) no space. Lincoln is up to something . . .
    Them techies ;) xxx
  • Down with emoticons!
    Just say no to emoticons!
    F*ck emoticons!
    Vastmind
    edited February 2014
    Look at that Vastmind!..... Did we really need 4 posts?
    That girl needs to be more patient sometimes.....
    hahaha :)
    vinlyn said:

Vastmind, if I could help you I would.

Thank you for that.