Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is important?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited January 2014 in General Banter
Is eating god (Eucharist) or being vegan important? Should we beat up bullies (compassionately of course)? Chant ourself stupid? Cram our mind with factoids and internet memes? Discuss how many jhanas make a bhumi or who is more enlightened than our favourite guru or philosopher?

Won't somebody think of the children?

Important to me is an enlightened world that knows what is important . . . what is that again . . . ?

:wave:

Comments

• jaejae Veteran
    being happy and kind to yourself is a good start, less learning and more doing, 'this' life is short enjoy it.
    Theswingisyellow
  • anandoanando Explorer
    Hi, yes we should talk aboutBuddhism and the teaching of Gotamo Buddho. But not the way people do, in the spirit of the (fold path. It`s if someone reached the state of consciousnes of an arhat or arhant and if he/her can tell others what to do, to rech the
    same state of mind, because there is this very one life where we can get rid of the cycles of reincarnation and suffering.
    anando
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Choosing a cyber perfection over that really demanding outside world?.
  • Hi, yes we should talk about Buddhism and the teaching of Gotamo Buddho.
    Indeed.
    Right speech is bringing us back to the important task at hand. Is that having a laugh or enjoying ourself continually and being as happy as we can? Which I would suggest is the non working methodology of most of humanity . . .

Buddhism can be used as a [insert present understanding]. Buddhism also has the potential to overcome our self importance, lesser priorities and enable what is important. I think I read that in a book before they became redundant. ;)
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    What is important?

Not being a dick
    DairyLamalobsterWonderingSeekerHamsaka
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    anataman said:

Having a sense of humour especially with the British weather

This reminded me of a Monty Python quote:
    [ in dour northern accent ]
    "If you couldn't see church steeple, it were raining. If you could see church steeple, it were about to rain."

:D
    Theswingisyellow
  • What is important?

Not being a dick

Easy for you to say. You're a girl.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    so only guys can be dicks!

I rest my case, thank you!!

:lol:
    Kundo
  • Girls can't be dicks but they can be bitches. Both are rude expressions.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    not necessarily.
    It depends on humour and context.

My H calls me his 'bee-atch.. and occasionally, if we're having a pseudo-sparring match, I'll call him a dick-wad.... It all depends.....

:)
    jaelobster
    edited January 2014
    Jeffrey said:

Girls can't be dicks but they can be bitches. Both are rude expressions.

So much being read into a statement. Don't over think things.

Let me rephrase What is important?

Don't be an arsehole.

Better?
    Jeffreylobster
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Don't be an arsehole.

Better?

Yes, unless one is full of shit.

pommesetorangeslobster
    Hamsaka said:

Don't be an arsehole.

Better?

Isn't that a given?

I _AM_ an Aussie after all ;)
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hamsaka said:

Don't be an arsehole.

Better?

Isn't that a given?

I _AM_ an Aussie after all ;)
    Hey! Speak for yourself.......my posts on this site are always insightful and life changing

;)
    Kundo
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Ahimsa is important. :)
    And modest. Don't forget modest. :D
  • Hamsaka said:

Don't be an arsehole.

Better?

Many a true word is spoken in jest.
    In Sufism this is known as 'unloading'. In a sense we are full of opinions about what Buddhism is: half digested teachings, misunderstood practices, hallowed wisdom such as, 'you can't do it without a teacher/blessing from the Dalai Pope franchise/sitting on the floor'. Then we have the evangelicals. 'Wot I does is the proper way' . . . apart from Bunks of course . . .
    Bunks said:

Hey! Speak for yourself.......my posts on this site are always insightful and life changing
    ;)

and now back to the important stuff . . . possibly . . .

:wave: