Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reconciling God with the Dharma

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    ourself said:

Even Hawkings admits that they misuse the term "nothing".

True, and modern physics now seems to have acknowledged that there probably was something "before" the Big Bang. Buddhism talks about beginningless time, that could well turn out to be nearer the truth.
    David
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Just a general reminder of the topic, people (no-one in particular):

The topic is Reconciling god with the dharma.

Discuss. Keep to topic, thanks.
  • Why the need for God ?

ourself said:

After many years on Buddhist sites and having witnessed innumerable discussions, I have come to the conclusion that any discussion about belief/non-belief, faith/non-faith in God as Creator or Maintainer or Ground of Being is futile and divisive. It leads, as the above shows all too clearly to disagreement rather than any real attempt to find common ground from which we can move forward together as even a Net sangha should. Each person asserts their view as "right" thus discarding all other views as "wrong": a fatal slide into dualism and verbal duelling.

I see that on other general religion forums but here we all seem to understand the difference between believing and knowing. It will only get divisive if people are too attached to their views. Then that maybe needs to be addressed eventually anyways.

However, this thread isn't about that. Its about whether the idea of God can survive a Buddhist understanding period.

I think it can as long as we leave the need for an absolute beginning out of it and don't assign a personality.

The question I always ask is why does God need to have created everything?

• ourself said:

The question I always ask is why does God need to have created everything?

Stephen Hawking seems to feel the same way. :p

I think a Deistic God can exist, but other deities, powers, energies create(d) everything we see. I think that if there is a God, it's just the substrate everything exists on, pretty much as Deism says. Though I don't believe this God did the actual creating. It's possible there are other deities that had a hand in creating or setting the rules in motion and stepped away. But who really knows? I think thinking on it too deeply gets us nowhere, because we don't really know. The Buddha taught how to escape all this, so I guess we'll find out the truth if and when we get there. :)
  • ourself said:

Every single scientist that tries to explain how something can come from nothing always end up having their so called nothing be something afterall.

Yes, as soon as you try to describe what nothing(ness) is, it has become something. Imo, nothingness does not exist.
  • ourself said: I think it can as long as we leave the need for an absolute beginning out of it and don't assign a personality.
    Certainly our limited definition of person or personality will not suffice, because this will be tainted by of our own egoism, fragmented individuality, and intellectualism which we project upon it. It has been said that the Holy Trinity is the crucifix of the intellect, and in approaching the persons of the Trinity one is three and three is one, and not 1=3, so it is about relationship and not about defining a personality.

That which has a beginning may beyond our measure or capacity to know or calculate, but that does not rationally negate it, particularly when its origins are of spiritual order. I have said before that which is temporal cannot also be eternal because it is a contradiction, and I have yet to hear any response that rationally can convince me otherwise.

If we just speak of physical and karmic laws what is their origin? They must be either without beginning (eternal), or emergent and developing implying that they too have a beginning but they can't be both eternal and temporal either.
    ourself said: The question I always ask is why does God need to have created everything?
    What I always say is who said there is or has to be a need? The eternal essence of the uncaused mind is entirely of a spiritual order, complete in and of itself and beyond the realm of terms. It is under no necessity to create anything. It is freedom. It is not subordinate to any laws either emergent or that have no beginning (eternal).

Creation out of nothing does not mean from nothing, but rather that it has no ontological foundation in itself. It is not complete in and of itself, but is causally dependent. It is not separate from God by location but only by nature for an image is not the same as its archetype.

It passes from not being to being by the creative act of God's free will which again is under no necessity to create. Once created order is brought into being it will not cease to be for the Word of the Lord endureth forever.

Anyway, back to the topic. I don't think there is such a thing as reconciliation with God and the Dharma, and not necessarily because what I have just posted, but rather something that dawned on me last night. The whole foundation of the middle path rests on the critique of two extremes. It is completely dependent upon them otherwise there is no point of reference. Everything is seen either as materialism or eternalism or some variation thereof, and it becomes necessary to fit anything that is correctly or incorrectly conceived as not being in accordance with the middle path into one of these two extremes, so Buddhists can speak of the eternal (without beginning) nature of the mind, but a Christian can’t possibly be referring to the same uncaused eternal mind because what he believes belongs to the extreme of eternalism.

As an aside, science should not be concerned with developing theories based upon disproving or proving that which is of spiritual order because that is not its true purpose otherwise it becomes something else.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Silouan said:

Anyway, back to the topic. I don't think there is such a thing as reconciliation with God and the Dharma, and not necessarily because what I have just posted, but rather something that dawned on me last night. The whole foundation of the middle path rests on the critique of two extremes. It is completely dependent upon them otherwise there is no point of reference. Everything is seen either as materialism or eternalism or some variation thereof, and it becomes necessary to fit anything that is correctly or incorrectly conceived as not being in accordance with the middle path into one of these two extremes, so Buddhists can speak of the eternal (without beginning) nature of the mind, but a Christian can’t possibly be referring to the same uncaused eternal mind because what he believes belongs to the extreme of eternalism.

Just asking... When I asked people to return and stick to topic... what was the difficulty, exactly....?

AFAICS, this is the first post, or portion of same, that has complied..... :mad:

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2014

Jason said:

Speaking of retinas, if the human eye evolved by design (rather than through blind material processes), it wasn't a very good one.

I think they are a lot of examples like that in evolutionary history. And if there was an "intelligent" designer, then why didn't he / she / it set things up so humans turned out all wise and peaceful, not subject to the ravages of old age, disease and death?

Or to put it in Biblical terms, why did God set up Adam and Eve to fail in the Garden of Eden? Why not let them eat apples to their hearts content and have an idyllic life, and make friends with devious talking snakes and unicorns and suchlike? ;)
    Or to put it another way, why not just put people straight into Heaven?!
    Yeah, that's one issue I have with the whole intelligent design theory. The design is pretty good, but it's not as good as could be, meaning the Grand Architect was kind of mediocre. Reminds me of when I went to have some groin pain checked out and the doctor concluded part of it may be due to a varicocele, then proceeded to tell me why the biological design of the testicles and how they form wasn't a very good design at all, forming high up in the abdomen and having to drop all the way down, causing all sorts of potential issues.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with believing that things can't come from nothing, and that God gives a plausible answer to where the universe comes from; but I certainly have a difficult time seeing an intelligent designer behind the world and human beings.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

vinlyn said:

But for me -- a science teacher who taught evolution and believes in it -- to believe that all life came from stromatolites (probably the most common belief of scientists), and that your heart, and your retinas, and your brain evolved by sheer accident from blue-green algae...well, I simply find that difficult to believe, as well.

Why so? It just requires gradual adaptation over geological time scales.
    There's no use in me repeating over and over again as you grill me that I don't find that extent of evolution logical.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    hermitwin said:

Why the need for God ?

I don't think there is a need for an ultimate being but that doesn't mean there is not or could not be one. Can one exist in light of the dharma?

An ultimate being doesn't have to have created everything. Heck, the ultimate being may still be in the process of waking up. That could be what drives evolution. What exactly is it that drives natural selection to select?

If the universe itself can be said to be guided by instinct then it doesn't matter if we need an ultimate being or not.

In my opinion, an ultimate being could be reconciled with the dharma but the God of Biblical fame can not.

Is there a decent word for the universe becoming self aware one aspect at a time?

Could we be living the infinite tales of Jataka?

The infinite avatars of a Vishnu-like consciousness?

In my view, if there is God, the first coherent thought would more likely be "WTF am I?" rather than "I AM".

Jason
  • Meta papanca.
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited February 2014

ourself said:

Every single scientist that tries to explain how something can come from nothing always end up having their so called nothing be something afterall.

Yes, as soon as you try to describe what nothing(ness) is, it has become something. Imo, nothingness does not exist.
    So reality is effected by how we describe it?

On topic though, I think if God is equated with unconditioned reality(Nirvana?), then God and Nirvana would kind of be the same thing... unless you think God must have some sort of conditioned quality.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    ourself said:

hermitwin said:

Why the need for God ?

I don't think there is a need for an ultimate being but that doesn't mean there is not or could not be one. Can one exist in light of the dharma?

An ultimate being doesn't have to have created everything. Heck, the ultimate being may still be in the process of waking up. That could be what drives evolution. What exactly is it that drives natural selection to select?

If the universe itself can be said to be guided by instinct then it doesn't matter if we need an ultimate being or not.

In my opinion, an ultimate being could be reconciled with the dharma but the God of Biblical fame can not.

Is there a decent word for the universe becoming self aware one aspect at a time?

In my view, if there is God, the first coherent thought would more likely be "WTF am I?" rather than "I AM".

That post shows an open-mindedness that I don't see too much here.

I was interested that at one point you seem to be mentioning god-driven evolution.

• swaydam said:

So reality is effected by how we describe it?

On topic though, I think if God is equated with unconditioned reality(Nirvana?), then God and Nirvana would kind of be the same thing... unless you think God must have some sort of conditioned quality.

In a way. If I try to envision nothingness as a dark empty void, I've given it attributes. Therefore it is no longer nothing, but something.

I think of God more as nirguna Brahman... without qualities. In that case God is a state, like Nirvana, or even, I daresay, like the Tao:

The Tao that can be spoken is not the Eternal Tao
    The name that can be named is not the Eternal Name
    The Nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
    The named is the mother of myriad things

They are all ineffable and indescribable. I think it's all really kind of trippy. :D
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    vinlyn said:

ourself said:

hermitwin said:

Why the need for God ?

I was interested that at one point you seem to be mentioning god-driven evolution.

Thanks. I guess I could have been but not by design. To me, the information had to exist before the intelligence.
  • So we can call gravity the 'god of attraction' ?
    Silouan said:

ourself said: I think it can as long as we leave the need for an absolute beginning out of it and don't assign a personality.
    Certainly our limited definition of person or personality will not suffice, because this will be tainted by of our own egoism, fragmented individuality, and intellectualism which we project upon it. It has been said that the Holy Trinity is the crucifix of the intellect, and in approaching the persons of the Trinity one is three and three is one, and not 1=3, so it is about relationship and not about defining a personality.

That which has a beginning may beyond our measure or capacity to know or calculate, but that does not rationally negate it, particularly when its origins are of spiritual order. I have said before that which is temporal cannot also be eternal because it is a contradiction, and I have yet to hear any response that rationally can convince me otherwise.

If we just speak of physical and karmic laws what is their origin? They must be either without beginning (eternal), or emergent and developing implying that they too have a beginning but they can't be both eternal and temporal either.
    ourself said: The question I always ask is why does God need to have created everything?
    What I always say is who said there is or has to be a need? The eternal essence of the uncaused mind is entirely of a spiritual order, complete in and of itself and beyond the realm of terms. It is under no necessity to create anything. It is freedom. It is not subordinate to any laws either emergent or that have no beginning (eternal).

Creation out of nothing does not mean from nothing, but rather that it has no ontological foundation in itself. It is not complete in and of itself, but is causally dependent. It is not separate from God by location but only by nature for an image is not the same as its archetype.

It passes from not being to being by the creative act of God's free will which again is under no necessity to create. Once created order is brought into being it will not cease to be for the Word of the Lord endureth forever.

As an aside, science should not be concerned with developing theories based upon disproving or proving that which is of spiritual order because that is not its true purpose otherwise it becomes something else.

• Just occured to me the book 'law of attraction' can be renamed 'law of God'.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2014
    vinlyn said:

ourself said:

I agree. It's an interesting perspective, and quite creative. I never though about it that way before. It could also explain why, if there is such a thing as god-driven evolution, why the design isn't perfect, since the being in question is driving things without full awareness.
    vinlyn said:

There's no use in me repeating over and over again as you grill me that I don't find that extent of evolution logical.

I'm not"grilling" anyone!
    In terms of the OP, I think that trying to reconcile God with the Dharma is always going to be problematic. There is probably a choice to be made.
  • Or one could follow Thomas Merton and assume that reality cannot be found in other than Silence..
  • Either there is a God or there isn't.
    If there is, he has not contacted me... yet.
    Show of hands , how many have received a message from God ?

• God was bored so he decided to write a role-playing computer game.
    The game is so realistic that the players dont even realise its just a game.

Jason said:

Speaking of retinas, if the human eye evolved by design (rather than through blind material processes), it wasn't a very good one.

I think they are a lot of examples like that in evolutionary history. And if there was an "intelligent" designer, then why didn't he / she / it set things up so humans turned out all wise and peaceful, not subject to the ravages of old age, disease and death?

Or to put it in Biblical terms, why did God set up Adam and Eve to fail in the Garden of Eden? Why not let them eat apples to their hearts content and have an idyllic life, and make friends with devious talking snakes and unicorns and suchlike? ;)
    Or to put it another way, why not just put people straight into Heaven?!
  • The game ends when you get into heaven.
    So, spinynorman, that explains why he cant just put everyone straight into heaven.
    Where is the fun in that ?
    hermitwin said:

Either there is a God or there isn't.

For someone that dismisses the notion, it's odd that you have preconceived ideas of what it is.

"A" God? Him?

• zsczsc Explorer
    Some Buddhists do worship devas. One tale about Shakyamuni's previous life involve a deva helping him out because he admired a courageous, kind action he was doing. Some devas are said to take a positive interest in dharma followers. It is generally accepted that they are still subject to samsara though, so they can have fickle emotions, so it's best to take refuge in a Buddha/Boddhisattva, and not get tied down to a specific deva that demands you be enslaved to them through perfect implentation of harmful rituals. Not all are like that though.

If someone said this already, my mistake, I don't have time to read the whole thread right now :)
    Jainarayan
  • How about many she-Gods?
    ourself said:

hermitwin said:

Either there is a God or there isn't.

For someone that dismisses the notion, it's odd that you have preconceived ideas of what it is.

"A" God? Him?

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    This short essay by Sir Francis Younghusband was offered in the spirit of the Upanishads, as I made clear at the outset in this Arts & Writings thread. No claims were made that "God" referred to anything like a "white-bearded gentleman ruling from a throne somewhere between Neptune and Plato," as Eknath Easwaran so aptly puts it in his book PASSAGE MEDITATION. He goes on to say, "When I use words like 'Lord' or 'God,' I mean the very ground of existence, the most profound thing we can conceive of. This supreme reality is not something outside us, something separate from us. It is within, at the core of our being —our real nature, nearer to us than our bodies, dearer to us than our lives."

Or as Younghusband says in the second-to-last paragraph I quoted above, “But this Greatest, Highest, Most is not something wholly outside us and apart from us, any more than France is wholly outside Frenchmen. It is an Ideal which is actuating, drawing, compelling, and impelling us. the Upanishads regard It as the true Self in us all. If we could delve deep down within ourselves to the profoundest depths we would find the Supreme Reality. Or occasions may arise when in a flash It is revealed to us. There, in each of us, is the very essence of the whole Universe— ‘nearer to us than breathing and closer than hands and feet.’ There may not be a distant, aloof, Divine Potentate who knows all and can do anything, but working through the world may be an all-pervasive Principle constraining the whole towards an ultimate Perfection."

That "Thumb-sized" divine being enshrined in all creatures that so many Upanishads refer to in those very thumb-sized terms is the reality whose realization is essentially in question, is it not? What the Hindus call the Self, the Atman, is just a manifestation of it: THAT Thou Art. God is not a Noun, in that sense —nay, The Self (God) is a Verb, an Active Doing.

In the Spirit of the Upanishads is offered this thought, then:

"But it may have been because Buddha had too great, not too small, an idea of God that he refused to restrict himself to a sharp definition of the Deity. There are certain things which are too great to be put into words. Who, for instance, would care to define love? Buddha did not presume to define God, but both he and his disciples were saturated with the conception of a Power behind the eye that sees and the ear that hears, and behind all the phenomena of Nature. They had no hard, cold, mechanistic, materialistic view of the universe. They never conceived of it as anything else than spiritual. They assumed as a matter of course that there was a great spiritual power driving through all things as through themselves, and making for ever higher perfection." —Younghusband

Meditating on the (TRUE) Self? Why does this have to be so Non-Buddhist? Just because of some Buddhist metaphysics, the sort of thing which Shakyamuni eschewed?

BTW, it's interesting that as late as 2007, the Oxford English dictionary still didn't have the words "nontheism" or "non-theism," whereas the word "atheist" appeared in print as early as 1571, according to my Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. Therefore Younghusband must be excused from not addressing that subject in his essay on the non-atheism of the Buddha. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nontheist
    Silouan
    "God is Love."

Love is not really a noun is it? If static, it is not really Love.

Love is a Verb and a doing only. Love is an Act, not a thing.

So, too, is God. Sit still and know.
    Silouan
    hermitwin said:

How about many she-Gods?

What ever floats your boat of course but unless many gods reflect one ultimate being or state of being, this isn't really what is being discussed.

"She", "He"... I personally doubt these labels could apply.
    ourself said:

Probably not, but the Bible says God made man in his own image, so...?
    hermitwin said:

The game ends when you get into heaven.

Or Hell! I think one advantage Buddhist mythology has over Abrahamic mythology is that in Buddhism the realms are temporary destinations, unlike the permanent destinations of Heaven and Hell. ;)
    Citta said:

Or one could follow Thomas Merton and assume that reality cannot be found in other than Silence..

Some mystical Christians take that approach.
    Silouan
    hermitwin said:

God was bored so he decided to write a role-playing computer game.

Yes, it does look that way. ;)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    “It is, however, in his attitude towards the idea of God that Buddha is most misrepresented. Because he refrained from making any sharp definition of God, and especially because he did not define Him as a Person —as a Father, for example— he is put down as an atheist and Buddhism is contemptuously tossed aside as unimportant. But it may have been because Buddha had too great, not too small, an idea of God that he refused to restrict himself to a sharp definition of the Deity.
    The one word that jumps off the page here is "maybe" but nothing much to support that other than the author's own ideas.
    Well though I don't see the word "maybe," seeker242, I think I see where you're coming from. Albeit, more to the point is that people come from different schools and often create their own schools of thought. But schools are so narrow and reek with partisanship, that so often they cannot see outside the box. Younghusband's essay is essentially just an essay offered to countermand the theistic naysayers of Buddhism. Sorry if it confuses anyone not capable of poetry. I guess that's what the Upanishads really are, though.

I daresay that Younghusband is expressing something that is essentially true. The precise poetic way he puts it rings true to me. It's not that I choose to see the Buddha permeated by both wisdom and love ("divinity," if you will), it's that I cannot see him any other way. And that's what "God" is —wisdom and love. The Chandogya Upanishad (7.4) puts it:

"When you look into another's eyes, what you see is the Self, fearless and deathless. That is Brahman, the supreme."

That resonates with me. My teacher used to speak of an old Christian hymn by that name, "God is Wisdom, God is Love." That has always stuck with me and now in the nursing home I often find myself saying to the old folks of both genders that I see God when I look into their eyes because God is Wisdom and God is love and that's Who I see when I peer.

I just cannot see a sterile or bland Buddha. There is no such thing as a mere bland Consciousness. No, it is a loving consciousness. In much the same way that you cannot separate the heat from the light that ride on the sun's rays (except mentally), so it is with consciousness. The Light is Wisdom and the Heat is the Love, the Affection, the Desire for the Good.

Surely Buddha and his disciples had a different concept of "enlightenment" than some nowadays would argue. I stand with Younghusband on this one.
    lobsterSilouanzsc
    seeker242 said:

“It is, however, in his attitude towards the idea of God that Buddha is most misrepresented. Because he refrained from making any sharp definition of God, and especially because he did not define Him as a Person —as a Father, for example— he is put down as an atheist and Buddhism is contemptuously tossed aside as unimportant. But it may have been because Buddha had too great, not too small, an idea of God that he refused to restrict himself to a sharp definition of the Deity.

Or alternatively:
    “It is, however, in his attitude towards the idea of God that Christ is most misrepresented......" ;)
    edited February 2014

ourself said:

The Bible? Why would we take the Biblical account of God into consideration? The idea of a supreme or ultimate being can be reconciled with the dharma but the Biblical character known as God?
    6 I have cut off the nations: their towers are desolate; I made their streets waste, that none passeth by: their cities are destroyed, so that there is no man, that there is none inhabitant.

7 I said, Surely thou wilt fear me, thou wilt receive instruction; so their dwelling should not be cut off, howsoever I punished them: but they rose early, and corrupted all their doings.

8 Therefore wait ye upon me, saith the Lord, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for my determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them mine indignation, even all my fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of my jealousy.

9 For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord, to serve him with one consent.

10 From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia my suppliants, even the daughter of my dispersed, shall bring mine offering.

-- Zephaniah 3:6-10 (King James Version)
    If this is the God in question then the answer is pretty obvious.

The only way this can be reconciled with the dharma is if God then turned to tempt Buddha appearing to him as Mara.

edited February 2014

seeker242 said:

Or alternatively:
    “It is, however, in his attitude towards the idea of God that Christ is most misrepresented......" ;)

Nonsense! It is quite clear that Jesus of Nazareth referred to God as "Father."
    Nirvana said:

seeker242 said:

Or alternatively:

There are some Christians who say that the New Testment was concocted by the early church and that all the stuff about God and miracles was added in later...now why does that sound so familiar? ;)
    edited February 2014
    Nirvana said:

seeker242 said:

Or alternatively:

Not really. It seems to clear to me that Jesus did not believe in the same idea of God that Abraham did.

If Jesus was not so oppressed then I don't think his teachings would have been tacked onto the Torah. He would have had his own distinct truth.

People always say Jesus was Jewish but if he was there would be no Christianity... It would all be Judaism. He was Jewish because Mary was Jewish but let's be realistic... To be Jewish, one really has to believe Judaism.

Put it this way... If the God Jesus talked about was indeed the same as the one from the Torah (or the "old" testament), then it must have gone through some heavy anger management course or something.

Forgiveness? Are you freaking kidding me?

"Before Abraham, I AM."

"Before"

In other words, Abraham didn't know what he was talking about.

Jesus was trying to establish a kinder and more realistic idea of God but the old ways just kept on seeping in from those seeking to gain power from his teachings.

The God that Jesus was talking about could be reconciled with the Dharma in my honest opinion but that is a far cry from the God mostly depicted in the Bible.

• The problem I have with Intelligent design theory is that it is an over articulation of what is essentially a mystery, and from what little I know about it, it appears ignorant of eastern patristic tradition regarding creation by assuming that the way things appear and the laws that govern them have always been that way since the beginning and that creation has no participation in its physical development.

Everything that has beginning presupposes a change, and the nature of Adam & Eve is in change. As part of creation they are not eternal by nature, so they are not God in perfect repose. Otherwise we would be speaking about some form of pantheism.

Tradition says that in the beginning they existed in paradise in a more divinized state, and their bodies were not of the flesh and blood we are familiar with today. It was their free choice in the garden to pursue sensuality, and as a result their bodies became progressively coarser.

Man is both spiritual and material, and being made in the image of God he has certain sovereignty with regards to creation. Not as a dictator or ruler but that of priest and servant whose purpose is to draw all of creation towards communion with God and divinization, but not by nature but through participation in God’s uncreated energies or grace.

Anyone familiar with the Agganna Sutta might see some parallels here, though references are different what essentially is being conveyed is generally the same.

Yes, male and female but spiritually speaking there is neither.
    Or Hell! I think one advantage Buddhist mythology has over Abrahamic mythology is that in Buddhism the realms are temporary destinations, unlike the permanent destinations of Heaven and Hell.
    I had better let my priest know that for 2000 years the Orthodox Catholic Church has been wrong in not asserting that heaven and hell are actual permanent destinations or locations.
  • hermitwin said:

Messages can be subtle. ;)

Silouan
    @ourself:
    Maybe I'm just dense, but I thought when you quoted someone you were responding to some assertion they made. I see nothing in what you've written that in any way relates to anything I've said. The stuff you've written is all about some hostile stance against the Biblical God or churchianity. I am only addressing the dharma here, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Forgiveness? I'm sorry, I don't follow. I think most of us Old Farts ( we've all been dubbed "Veterans") on NewBuddhist resemble the old Methodist preacher in his circular reasoning. No. Matter what the lessons were for the day, his sermons would always devolve to the virtues of infant baptism. "Any way but the Baptist way," for that devout Methodist.
  • zsc said:

Some Buddhists do worship devas. ...

Some devas are said to take a positive interest in dharma followers. It is generally accepted that they are still subject to samsara though, so they can have fickle emotions, so it's best to take refuge in a Buddha/Boddhisattva, and not get tied down to a specific deva that demands you be enslaved to them through perfect implentation of harmful rituals. Not all are like that though.

I revere and respect the devas, because I believe they have been good to me. I've long since abandoned the notion of "worship", or that they are jealous or anything but benevolent. Rather, I think of them as more powerful big brothers and big sisters. Of course, this applies to buddhas and bodhisattvas also. I believe I have a whole platoon of divine beings looking out for me.

• It is not God that changes but man and the root of the biblical accounts is primarily about man's relationship with God. His understanding and explanation of his experiences are in accordance with how he interprets that relationship, and we can even see this occurring with all the various comments and ideas people are posting, so it’s all about interpretation.

Generally speaking, with the incarnation of Christ, His crucifixion on the Cross, and resurrection man's relationship, interpretation and understanding are elevated spiritually toward its end, but that end has yet to be accomplished for in God there is no end.
    hermitwin said: Show of hands , how many have received a message from God ?
    Every time I'm pricked in my heart by my conscience. ;-)
    Silouan said:

I had better let my priest know that for 2000 years the Orthodox Catholic Church has been wrong in not asserting that heaven and hell are actual permanent destinations or locations.

Please say more on this, Silouan. Surely those who have realized themselves are already in heaven. There's a lot written on this subject in many wisdom traditions. I wish I could recall some passages right now.
    ourself said:

Not really. It seems to clear to me that Jesus did not believe in the same idea of God that Abraham did.

I think the stark contrast between the Old and New Testaments is quite revealing - it's like they're describing two completely separate religions.

hermitwin said:

Messages can be subtle. ;)
    True, though I suspect that how people have spiritual experiences is much dependent on the assumptions they have about it. So a Buddhist might talk about jhana or nature of mind, whereas a Christian might talk about the presence of God or Spirit - but perhaps the actual experience is not dissimilar?
  • zsczsc Explorer
    @ourself I think you mean the Tanakh? The Torah is comprised of the Five Books of Moses only.

(Sorry to be nitpicky but I had to call in sick from work and I'm bored okay? :P)
This discussion has been closed.