Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Cognitive dissonance/compartmentalization

Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal DhammaWe(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
I've been thinking about this topic because of various conversations I've had with people over the past few weeks. A girl I was talking to was exalting the glories of yoga - how she does it every day and how it's great at stress relief and becoming mindful, yet I've seen her stress out and speak/act unmindfully more than others who don't do yoga. A friend of mine believes in saving monkeys and stray dogs/cats (and talks about how sad it is that humans don't care about these animals), but shamelessly glorifies eating meat. These are fairly mundane examples, but I think my point is made.

I know that we as humans are a messy tangle of contradictions. No one is perfect. However, I think it's problematic to have these double-standards and contradictory actions. Shouldn't we live according to our beliefs? If we don't, what use are our beliefs but a way to bolster our identity and ego?

I think many Buddhist teachings (not that I can name specific ones, as I'm not that scholarly) basically discourage this, as we should be living the Dhamma in every aspect our lives. The Eightfold Path is such because we have to walk it, not just read it. Mindfulness is for both on and off the cushion. Monks at Wat Pah Nanachat do more daily chores than seated meditation for a reason.

Do you think compartmentalization or cognitive dissonance have a place?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    I thinks that each of just does the best that we can and the path towards suffering's cessation is a graduated process. I suspect with sharp enough eyes and courage, some levels of compartmentalization and cognitive dissonance might be spotted in any of our shadows right up to the end of that path.
    Invincible_summerlobster
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    There are a couple of people in my life who always come to mind when I listen to or read dhamma stuff. They pop into my head as perfect examples of delusion and self deceit (the examples on the tip of my fingers would be a text wall). It occurs to me to question why examples of my OWN delusion and self-deceit do not pop into my head nearly as easily.

Is there a place for these things? Obviously it's there. I tend to think my own delusions and deceits are just a tad different than the glaring ones exhibited by 'those others'. I have unique reasons and needs, you see, thus when I do X my intentions are different or more benign than theirs are.
    Invincible_summerVastmindYik_Yis_Yiilobster
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    how said:

I thinks that each of just does the best that we can and the path towards suffering's cessation is a graduated process. I suspect with sharp enough eyes and courage, some levels of compartmentalization and cognitive dissonance might be spotted in any of our shadows right up to the end of that path.

Hardheartedly agree. Speaking from my own experience, I am not doing the best I can. I can always do better. I also contradict myself more than I can count, but I try to be mindful and focused, but it is difficult, but I try. That's the best I can do, and that is keep trying and trying and trying. Good thread!!
    Invincible_summerlobster
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    One partial explanation – I think – is the way our actions relate to our conscious considerations.
    It looks (in my own mind) like my thoughts determine my actions.
    Often though, it works the other way around. My thoughts are attempts to rationalize my behavior.

When I talk about who I am (so reasonable, so friendly, not perfect though, but modest…) I am talking about who I am inside of my head; about my self-image, my delusions.
    Behavior is something else.

I think there’s some famous research about people giving electrical shocks to fellow participants in a test. Eighty percent of all people will give extremely painful and sometimes lethal electrical shocks when an authority (the researcher for instance) tells them it is okay and that they should proceed.
    But when you ask people how they will behave they will all tell you that they are the twenty percent who will stand up to the authority and stop the test without hurting someone.
    DaltheJigsawInvincible_summerNirvana
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    So I think we all agree that we all compartmentalize to varying degrees. But what I'm getting at is - what do you think we should do about it?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

So I think we all agree that we all compartmentalize to varying degrees. But what I'm getting at is - what do you think we should do about it?

I think we have to be very honest with ourselves in a non-judgemental way, ie develop self-awareness, aka mindfulness.

VastmindInvincible_summer
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    A friend of mine has 'Semper ambulare dictum' on her inner wrist, under her watch-strap.

It's a Latin translation of 'Walk the Talk'.

(I think there may be variations, but her uncle is a Catholic priest - apparently, he gave her the latin term.)
    Invincible_summer
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited March 2014
    We all have some bullshitters in our group.
    Usually the ones that are shouting the loudest are
    trying to convince/remind themselves.. Yes, they can
    get on our nerves...but that's when
    we remember to get back to worrying about what and
    how we (ourself) do things. If you have determined that
    you will carry yourself in a certain way most of the time...
    stick to that. It will keep you busy enough. Too busy to
    correct others, in fact. hahaha

...just take note of your assessment, try not to judge,
    and keep it movin' :)

Invincible_summer
  • "The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."
    F. Scott Fitzgerald.
    Great comments guys.
    Was getting to click 'insightful' on everyone . . .

One of the best ways to combat our tendency to judge others is to find value in the opposite of what we strongly believe.
    Nobody tries to display ignorance, opinion, conflicted judgments but we do. This becomes more subtle but is always there apart from the Heavenly Buddha who is just delightful and luvvly.

Eventually we might develop the ability to scrutinise our certainties objectively and dispassionately.

Mr Cushion always knows when I am wrong and judgemental. Every time I open my mouth. Easy for him not to say . . .
    Invincible_summerNirvana
  • yagryagr Veteran
    I have heard it said that when we examine ourselves and try to grow, we move from:

Unconsciously self-centered to
    Consciously self-centered to
    Consciously not self-centered to
    Unconsciously not self-centered.

Each step is a step on the path moving forward and brings us closer to the final result. Similarly, when I began meditating, my posture was 'wrong', my breathing was 'wrong', etc., but had I not been willing to take those first unskillful steps, I would never have reached a point beyond.

Something else that came to mind while I was typing this was a story about William Penn (who the American state of Pennsylvania is named after). He was converted to Quakerism which was notably non-violent. The fashion of the day was for men to wear a sword by their side but William began to feel uncomfortable with this obvious sign of violence while he was committed to non-violence. He asked the man who converted him what he should do and the man suggested that he wear it as long as he could.

Shortly thereafter, William determined that he could no longer wear it.
    Invincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2014

So I think we all agree that we all compartmentalize to varying degrees. But what I'm getting at is - what do you think we
    should do about it?

Each of our respective Buddhist practices are our efforts to address this.
    What part of this is not acceptable to you?
    VastmindInvincible_summer
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited March 2014

Be in touch with the Dao.
    Don’t follow thoughts and ideas but find the connection with your inner wisdom – the wisdom without words - instead.

It can’t get any woollier than this, I suppose. ;)
    But I’m serious –sort off. I really think our self-images are pretty worthless and it’s better to just forget about them.
    I’m looking for the reasons for my actions in my heart; or deeper even in my gut, just not in my head. Not too much anyways.

Feel free to shoot me. I know this doesn’t sound very solid.

• NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    zenff said:

I think there’s some famous research about people giving electrical shocks to fellow participants in a test. Eighty percent of all people will give extremely painful and sometimes lethal electrical shocks when an authority (the researcher for instance) tells them it is okay and that they should proceed.
    But when you ask people how they will behave they will all tell you that they are the twenty percent who will stand up to the authority and stop the test without hurting someone.

Because good people don't do bad things. This is why religious folk are especially susceptible to cognitive dissonance. Religious folk are moral, well, at least in theory. The important thing in regard to this topic is that they are supposed to be moral.

If a Buddhist were in the experiment mentioned above they would get to a certain point where they would question the morality of harm they were causing. A religious follower would most likely have a tendency to go too far, because religious followers are, at least to some significant measure, dependent on authority figures. Having gone too far, they would (unconsciously) experience cognitive dissonance, and depending on their degree of self-reliance, values, and other factors, they would make an unconscious decision to either admit the mistake to themselves and stop, or to justify their actions and continue. Remember, good people don't do bad things, so if a good person (a religious person) did a bad thing it MUST be someone else's fault. The person getting the electrical shocks must be a bad person in some way and deserving of the harm caused to them.

Never think that you're a good person.
    Invincible_summerNirvana
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

I think we have to be very honest with ourselves in a non-judgemental way, ie develop self-awareness, aka mindfulness.

yagr said:

I have heard it said that when we examine ourselves and try to grow, we move from:

Unconsciously self-centered to
    Consciously self-centered to
    Consciously not self-centered to
    Unconsciously not self-centered.

zenff said:

But I’m serious –sort off. I really think our self-images are pretty worthless and it’s better to just forget about them.
    I’m looking for the reasons for my actions in my heart; or deeper even in my gut, just not in my head. Not too much anyways.

Nevermind said:

Never think that you're a good person.

Sounds like a key is to develop insight and begin to drop the "I" or ego in everything.

How does a Buddhist live according to their beliefs without making those beliefs an identity (aka ego) bolster?
    federica said:

A friend of mine has 'Semper ambulare dictum' on her inner wrist, under her watch-strap.

It's a Latin translation of 'Walk the Talk'.

Easier said than done! I guess this is where "wise companions" come in handy.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2014
    @Invincible_summer
    Perhaps beyond an unrelenting practice,
    the wisest companion can simply be a fearless questioning of everything,
    if only to coax ones identity into facing the fruitlessness of it's own dream.
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Just embrace your contradictions.
    Live like a real human, inconsistent and wonderfully messy.
    Enjoy your freedom and ability to think one thing, but to do something else.
    VastmindJeffrey
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    The problem with compartment thinking is that it's a fine line between one compartment and the next. Sometimes, even a overflow and that blows the borders.

It's odd and I know what you mean. It screws with my head when I see someone talk about how they could never eat a dog while munching a burger.

One thing I'll say is don't obsess over it because that kind of thing has driven folks mad... I recommend reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" if you havn't already.
    Invincible_summer
  • I've been thinking about this topic because of various conversations I've had with people over the past few weeks. A girl I was talking to was exalting the glories of yoga - how she does it every day and how it's great at stress relief and becoming mindful, yet I've seen her stress out and speak/act unmindfully more than others who don't do yoga. A friend of mine believes in saving monkeys and stray dogs/cats (and talks about how sad it is that humans don't care about these animals), but shamelessly glorifies eating meat. These are fairly mundane examples, but I think my point is made.

I know that we as humans are a messy tangle of contradictions. No one is perfect. However, I think it's problematic to have these double-standards and contradictory actions. Shouldn't we live according to our beliefs? If we don't, what use are our beliefs but a way to bolster our identity and ego?

I think many Buddhist teachings (not that I can name specific ones, as I'm not that scholarly) basically discourage this, as we should be living the Dhamma in every aspect our lives. The Eightfold Path is such because we have to walk it, not just read it. Mindfulness is for both on and off the cushion. Monks at Wat Pah Nanachat do more daily chores than seated meditation for a reason.

Do you think compartmentalization or cognitive dissonance have a place?

I don't know about this compartmentalization or cognitive dissonance thing, sounds like such tough nuts to crack but we, each have our own idiosyncrasies. It does not have to be Yoga. I am not surprised if there are Buddhists too who as you put it, 'shamelessly glorify' Buddhism. Life is a contradiction. When we are mindful, we are aware of the contradictions and we watch them and let it go, respecting them sometimes and sometimes glad too, that we are not entangled in their web. Buddhism can just be our guide in life, we have to steer our ships according the situation.
    Invincible_summer
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Where Cognitive dissonance/compartmentalization gets its place:
    Nevermind said:

"Because good people don't do bad things." This is why religious folk are especially susceptible to cognitive dissonance. Religious folk are moral, well, at least in theory. The important thing in regard to this topic is that they are supposed to be moral.

You beat me to it, @Nevermind! You hit the nail on the head about the religious. They are "tied" (religio) to ideas and superstitions that make them feel in many ways removed from the masses of humanity or what-have-you. And, of course, we all find ourselves there at least at times. Life would be Unthinkable without having some delusions of Grandeur some of the time, would it not?

It is only in hindsight that we can see some of our errors, but when we find ourselves caught up in the midst of activities, "We ARE the Good Guys!"
    Invincible_summer