Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist switching to Markdown instead of HTML for post formatting

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
I'm going to be flipping NewBuddhist over to using Markdown to format your posts instead of HTML very soon.

Why?

* It's easier to read in the commenting box as you're writing
* It's easier to remember & type than HTML
* It's gained widespread support and adoption
* There's really no downside I can think of
* Using these asterisks would've auto-formatted this into a nice list if it was enabled already

Functionally, very little will change for you. The button bar above the commenting box will stay exactly the same, it'll just use Markdown instead of HTML when you press the buttons.

Old discussions & comments will stay in HTML forever (including if you edit them).

Feelin' all technical and wanna learn more about Markdown? Here's the syntax guide: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax Don't worry - you don't actually need to read that to use it since the buttons will still work and do it for you.

Vanilla Forums (the software we use here) will probably start shipping with Markdown set as the default in the very near future. We're really in love with it and hope you all enjoy using it.
Straight_Mananataman

Comments

• Good choice.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    After looking at the docs, I see why! Good Choice!
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    is markdown better for mobile as well? because if so I say thank the gods :)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Jayantha said:

is markdown better for mobile as well?

Oh right, mobile. New theme deployed.
    BhikkhuJayasara
    And now it even works! :lol:
    BhikkhuJayasaralobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Lincoln said:

I'm going to be flipping NewBuddhist over to using Markdown to format your posts instead of HTML very soon.

I wish I understood that! :p

• * Wow
      * Thanks
      * Awesome
      * Bravo
    edited March 2014

Markdown!

• I'm still seeing html from the buttons, FWIW.

Test

Force-refresh and it should update. Probably just your browser cache. HTML still technically works, anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2014

Ah, yep, that did it. Thanks.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

How do I do pics?
    I used to use the attachment button below the comment box....
    it's not there anymore.

Linc

@Vastmind said:
    How do I do pics?
    I used to use the attachment button below the comment box....
    it's not there anymore.

Not sure how that got turned off; back now.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@Lincoln said:
    Not sure how that got turned off; back now.

Nope, sorry.

Something is extremely weird here. It's switching itself back off. Gotta be a weird conflict somewhere. Might take me a little while to track this down.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Welcome to Lincoln's very own twilight zone ....

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

We all have one @federica, but gotta thank him for it as his allows us to exhibit our own...

• The quote-capture function less useful than it used to be. For instance, if I click on "Quote" for this comment, only the last paragraph of the comment shows up in the editor, and that's not the part I want to respond to.

It would be nice if <blockquote> worked the way it used to, too. Now you need to put explicit <p>'s on all the paragraphs or they flow together. Blockquote is still pretty handy when you want to quote several paragraphs of text from somewhere.

I've noticed problems with the Quote plugin's implementation of Markdown. I'll have a look at it soon.

• Thanks, Lincoln.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Lincoln, it seems creating your own emoticons like this:

:D

or like this;

:)

no longer works, either....?

I gotta redo the emoticons plugin, it keeps breaking :/

It's a bit like painting the Golden gate Bridge, isn't it....?
    The moment you finish at one end, you have to re-start at the other....!

Vastmind

@Lincoln, Am I wrong in thinking, also, that the 'merge' facility has disappeared?
    When we tick the square box option on a post/thread, I seem to remember the 'merge' option being available.
    No longer....?

edited March 2014

@federica You can only merge discussions, not comments. It's still there once you tick 2+.

I was trying to merge the "Hi I'm a new member" thread started here, with the introduce yourselves begun by Brian.... I click on the box, and the 'merge' option is missing for me....

Oh hang on. I see where I went wrong. I opened the thread and tried to do it from the first post, rather than the 'recent discussions' list....

Ok. Got it.