Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dogma

the more I practise (Zen)buddhism the less I am being a buddhist (trying to define stuff through sutta's and conversation and reading).

I just live my life.

And yet...if I would never practise I would never get in that state of just being and living my life.

Kinda stuck in this dogma :D

imput?

Comments

• NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran

Religious beliefs are not necessarily dogmatic.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited April 2014

@Nevermind said:
    Religious beliefs are not necessarily dogmatic.

What if ideas were not dogmatic but only some people's interpretation of them?

I don't practise Zen (my teacher is Tibetan Gelukpa), but I also feel less prone to defining stuff, giving explanations, justifying myself, labelling myself... Am I streamlining to Zen?

• @Nevermind‌

This question wasn't about religion.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited April 2014

The only dogma is what you impose on yourself, its attaching particular significance to your religious view of buddhism.

The buddha never told you that 'YOU' had to "DO' "this or that", he said this is this and that is that, and if this is not perceived as that, then that is not perceived as this, and everything just falls away, to reveal: Y.o.U. (that's big you and LITTLE YOU, all in one).

He said:

Then he said, because we have reached 4, we need to start again, but lets make it a bit more interesting:

Then he said:

Don't believe me, believe yourself.

He was really in touch with himself you know.

Oh, and this is my minty twist ;) , seek a fresh perspective, if you find that you are mired in dogma, liberation is what you were seeking after all. But I didn't need to tell you that, you did. So go live your life full of dharma!

Mettha

BuddhadragonkarastiInvincible_summerZendoLord84
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2014

@iamthezenmaster said:

I just live my life.

And yet...if I would never practise I would never get in that state of just being and living my life.

imput?

Good!

Practice for me is at the moment 'dogmatic'. A few days ago I was busy and somehow forgot to formally meditate. A very rare occurrence. I would suggest that regular practice is eventually all we do. For most, at best, we need to do as much as possible to usefully engage with the path of liberation.

ZendoLord84
  • I didn't understand what the question is.

ZendoLord84
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@iamthezenmaster said:

the more I practise (Zen)buddhism the less I am being a buddhist (trying to define stuff through sutta's and conversation and reading).

I just live my life.

imput?

@iamthezenmaster

I think everyday might present a different answer but..

This was Dogens koan. It naturally stemed from the mistaken perspective that there is some significant you that could be stuck or unstuck.

Our ego/identity resembles a Carny's shell game where a pea is hidden under one of a number of moving shells and the shell hiding the pea only needs to be pointed out and turned over to win.
    No amount of thinking will allow you to choose the right shell hiding the pea because the very assumption that there is a pea under one of them, which is wrong, prevents anyone from ever winning. It's really just a mug's game where we are the mark.

A zen practice is just a path away from playing that game.

Invincible_summerZendoLord84

@iamthezenmaster said:
    Nevermind‌

This question wasn't about religion.

Oh, right...

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I'm not sure I see what the problem is? It is expected you will move away from labels and needs for support of certain types along your path. Your practice having got you to that spot is how it works. It's not really a problem, in my mind. I think I just do not understand Zen, LOL.

If you want to go from couch potato to race running, you train. Your first few days running are horrid and painful and you aren't sure what you are doing, or exactly why you are doing it. But you keep going, and eventually, what was once a torturous mile, is a breeze. Then you train more, and you run more, and when 5 miles was really hard one day now that is also pretty easy. You can look back to where you came from with a recognition that you had to train hard to get to where you are and the training did what it was supposed to.

The nice thing with Buddhism is, when you truly "got it" you don't really go backwards. You can't unlearn awareness (I don't think, and so I have read) so you can change from certain daily practices, to broader, life practices. It's a lovely part of training the mind versus training the body.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@iamthezenmaster said:

I would not consider that "being less Buddhist". I would consider that "progress" in Zen! But of course, that depends on how you hold your mind in daily life. :)

Now, if you started stealing stuff from your neighbors back yard or started being a jerk to the clerk at the store, that would definitely fall under "being less Buddhist". :)

Always liked this one: :)

Mumonkan, Koan 19: Ordinary Mind Is The Way

Joshu asked Nansen, "What is the Way?"
    "Ordinary mind is the Way," Nansen replied.
    "Shall I try to seek after it?" Joshu asked.
    "If you try for it, you will become separated from it," responded Nansen.
    How can I know the Way unless I try for it?" persisted Joshu.
    Nansen said, "The Way is not a matter of knowing or not knowing. Knowing is delusion; not knowing is confusion. When you have really reached the true Way beyond doubt, you will find it as vast and boundless as outer space. How can it be talked about on the level of right and wrong?"
    With those words, Joshu came to a sudden realization.

Buddhadragon
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Just my two cents:

If you want to be a Buddhist, do it.
    If you don't want to, do it.
    Isn't that the way things work already?
    Relax.

I think it is natural for old habits to cling like bubble gum on the sole of your shoe. OK, grumble a little if you like. But relax. Things walk away all by themselves. Pushing accentuates the problem rather than unveiling the answer.

Be patient. In an earlier time, Ummon came pretty close when he said, "When you can't say it, it's there. When you don't say it, it's missing." Of course "pretty close" is never close enough, but you already know that.

Relax.

Buddhadragon
  • @how‌
    I've warped into a Zen koan how awesome and not-wise of me hahaha

Addition:

Isn't it a buddhist 'task' to liberate all sentient beings.
    through buddhism that is.
    How can this be done if I get liberated myself and 'stop' living like a buddhist talking about it, discussing it on, reflecting upon it, showing it to others by action and non-action

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to abandon Buddha.
    But if we all truely followed his teaching and got to the core of being and buddha-nature there wouldn't be any buddhism left ??

And ofcourse: there would be no need for it anymore would be a logical answer.
    But this lasts for only a generation or two before or ego-driven nature rises up again and takes over.

But when the dharma is lost to ego, another buddha will arise!

Thats dharma for you. can't get rid of it.

It's egotistical to think you are responsible for liberating all sentient beings with your dogma, and humbling as well.

Good luck and thanks for being there

• While these verses are Taoist, I don't think they are any less applicable to Buddhism or any other practice. To me, this decries getting caught up in externals, superficialities, and rigid dogma:

Dualistic thinking is a sickness.
    Religion is a distortion.
    Materialism is cruel.
    Blind spirituality is unreal.
    Chanting is no more holy than listening to the
    murmur of a stream; counting prayer beads no more
    sacred than simply breathing; religious robes no
    more spiritual than work clothes.
    If you wish to attain oneness with the Tao, don’t get
    caught up in spiritual superficialities.
    Instead, live a quiet and simple life, free of ideas and
    concepts.
    Find contentment in the practice of undiscriminating
    virtue, the only true power.
    Giving to others selflessly and anonymously, radiating
    light throughout the world and illuminating your
    own darkness, your virtue becomes a sanctuary for
    yourself and all beings.
    This is what is meant by embodying the Tao. Hua Hu Ching Chapter 47

lobsterBuddhadragonjayne

@iamthezenmaster said:
    How can this be done if I get liberated myself and 'stop' living like a buddhist talking about it, discussing it on, reflecting upon it, showing it to others by action and non-action.

If no one practiced or spread Buddhism then it would cease to exist.

But if we all truely followed his teaching and got to the core of being and buddha-nature there wouldn't be any buddhism left ??

Why would that be?

... of course: there would be no need for it anymore would be a logical answer.

People will always have a desire for meaning.

But this lasts for only a generation or two before or ego-driven nature rises up again and takes over.

People will always have a desire for meaning.

Buddhism is self-liberating

• If your practice is Zen:

The Teachings: Ultimately a distraction
    Teachings describing what isn't.
    If the medicine is not correct the patient can get sicker
    Miss diagnosis and over using pointers (techniques, mantras, yantras, tantras) make for stuck pointers.

When pointers are overused past their expiration date
    Dogma prevails into fundamentalism
    The rigidity of should's fixed ideas and positions

An iron ox can not move
    Fixed positions imagining they should be fixed

A promise of enlightenment
    The reward for one-pointed bliss
    A promise of enlightenment.

Blind faith with hope
    A bitter combination.

The promise of enlightenment becomes a guarantee of eternal bliss
    The iron ox remains stuck without any movement
    Appreciate the pointers
    Throw away the should's of always place and position

Without rules
    Without right or wrong
    Without discrimination

When the 'I' dissolves the body is an empty corpse.
    Only illusionary consciousness remains although unnoticed

Pointers used after their expiration date become stuck pointers
    yielding dogma, rigidity and fundamentalist positions

The reward for one-pointed blindness
    A promise of enlightenment.

Blind faith with hope
    A bitter combination
    The promise of enlightenment becomes a guarantee of eternal bliss
    Throw the thorn away before it goes bad

Zen Saying: "Give up the stink of Buddhism."

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

Good way to get rid of dogmatic beliefs is to remind yourself that what's been passed on to you isn't a set of infallible holy scriptures or teachings, nor are human beings infallible. The teachings are meant to be pointers or guides to the reality that you can directly experience, and not something to believe on a faith basis (confidence is something different).

You should be able to put down the books, and see directly and/or infer through evidence how things really are. If you hold views that have no basis in your own experience except that they've been passed down through tradition... those views should be held as working hypotheses (if at all), not as truths that you will defend and expound as if you really know.

We should ask ourselves "What do I really know?" often, and differentiate that from "What have I been taught? What does Buddhism teach?". One of these should have much more weight than the other, no matter how highly we regard the Buddha or various Buddhist masters. And even then, we should leave some room for doubt, for error!

• I don't want to abandon Buddha.

Indeed.
    You have to be where you are.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@iamthezenmaster said:

how‌
    I've warped into a Zen koan how awesome and not-wise of me hahaha

Addition:

Isn't it a buddhist 'task' to liberate all sentient beings.
    through buddhism that is.

No.

lobster
  • atiyanaatiyana Explorer

@iamthezenmaster said:

I just live my life.

imput?

So many traditions stress that being a good Buddhist means you don't identify as a Buddhist.

What is the issue?