Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

a poem

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

This poem crossed my bow again yesterday and I kind of liked it:

Slip me down between the waves,
Beneath the needs, before the craves.
Slip me down and make me free
As apples falling from the tree.
RodrigoToraldrisyagrThailandTom

Comments

• NeleNele Veteran

Nice. The plural noun in the final sentence is a bit jarring to me...likening oneself to a single apple would resonate nicely though. Thank you.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2014

No, @Nele.... the singular would imply that only one apple is free. That's conditional. All the apples are free; therefore freedom is unconditional; it applies to all, regardless. It is not selective, or particular, it is there for ALL to have.

anataman
  • ZeroZero Veteran

It's good.
    Last line doesn't fit in well with the theme. From slipping and wave to tree and apple.
    Maybe 'indiscernible from the sea' or some such.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I can't find the original author, for some reason (The Great God Google has failed!!)

Perhaps we could find him/her and ask them what the last line's all about then..... :D

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited April 2014

@federica They come and go, what's it to them? It's about being carefree, before the needs and cravings of the delusional mind arise. Apples don't cling; when it's time, they fall freely from the tree. At least that's my interpretation of it. It is kinda jarring going from talking about ocean waves to talking about apples... (as @Zero mentioned).

• yagryagr Veteran

Funny how we care. I'm going out on a limb here and say it doesn't matter to the apples.

Oh wait...

Toraldris
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited April 2014

@genkaku You're not the same "genkaku" (Adam Fisher) from this blog site, are you? ... http://genkaku-again.blogspot.com/2013/06/slip-me-down.html

On that one, "genkaku" admits in the comments to being the poem's author. Seems a heck of a coincidence to me! :D

edited April 2014

I was about to get all philosophical and 'Self/not-self-ist'...But I don't want to work that hard..... :D

Toraldris
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2014

_between the waves, the xx, the weed

above the clouds, the raves, the fall

bolster free, up and for ever

a far shored landing in the empty forest_

Right.

Thanks.

No...really.

Thanks.

• ZeroZero Veteran

@federica said:
    I can't find the original author, for some reason (The Great God Google has failed!!)

Perhaps we could find him/her and ask them what the last line's all about then..... :D

Assumed it was @genkaku's...

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@zero ... assumed correctly.

oh, so you're the culprit.... "God didn't make the little green apples, it don't rain in Indianapolis in the summertime...."

Explain yourself!! ROTF......

Zero
    edited April 2014

@federica -- I will gladly explain myself right after you explain bubblegum.

:)

edited April 2014

Hang on...I have to pull it off the bed-post, where I leave it overnight.....

@federica -- That is one of my all-time faves!!!!