Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wise speech

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

It is amazing how many times lately I have caught myself verbally criticising someone at work (who is not around) to the person I sit next to only to find later it wasn't their fault or, in the latest case, actually a mistake I had made!!!!

Wise speech indeed......

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Yep this was me three weeks ago......

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2014
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

A forum like this is a great place to practice Right Speech. If you can learn to self-moderate in a place where there are no real-world consequences for what you say (such as getting fired), then you'll be better prepared to do the same in your real-life interactions.

Bunkslobstervinlynyagr
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

...a place where there are no real-world consequences for what you say (such as getting fired),

>

I wouldn't bet on that, said the Moderator....

Kundo
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited April 2014

@federica I didn't mean no consequences here on the forum. ;) I don't even mean no consequences at all in real life... we affect each other by what we say here, and that can translate into harmful speech or actions in our lives (if not just hurt feelings, which is bad enough). All I meant is there's much less to lose here, and less harm that can be done (generally speaking). People are free to speak their minds on NewBuddhist in a way they'd never attempt at the workplace (for instance). That amount of freedom means we have to be even more careful about what we say, and it's a great opportunity for practice! If we can master ourselves here, we'll be able to control what we say in real-life situations all the easier.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I know what you meant.
    I was just lightening the mood....

edited April 2014

@federica Yeah I kinda figured but it was still an opportunity to drive the point home if anyone missed it. If we're mindful we can make all sorts of things part of our practice, because in the end our practice is about establishing a new relationship with all of our experiences (all phenomena). Hidden gem.

Bunks
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

This happened to me today.

We have these work carts that hold all our casefiles we are currently working..and I use them for sorting cases into certain piles...anyway, I came back from lunch and 'my' cart was gone. The person took all the cases off and stacked them in my cubicle and just walked off with the cart. Well, I proceeded to stand here and say " dang, this is a shame...who took my cart? All they had to do was ask me...I would have given it to them. I already gave up the new carts that HR brought down to us...man, you give people an inch and they take a yard. They act like it's theirs to take".

I caught myself then. Wait a minute. I'm acting like it's mine and I bought it. I have no idea why this person might have needed it or whatever. Come to find out a little old lady who works in my unit came and got it...and I love her to death and would give it to her anyway. :) I just walked over to her cube and made a funny situation about it.
    I said " Ms. Pat...I heard you took me for everything I had, and I'm not scared to fight a little old lady...I was talking mad trash about you and your posse"...hahaha ... She busted out laughing and started to apologize and I said, don't you worry. She needed the cart to walk clear over to the other side of the building, and I was loud talking bec of something I thought was 'mine' ....anyway... If it was anyone else, I might not have learned the lesson so tough, hahaha....but I ate such a huge piece of humble pie bec it was her. I'll think twice before ever saying something about my cart being taken.

JeffreykarastiBunks
  • Come to find out a little old lady who works in my unit came and got it...and I love her to death and would give it to her anyway.

Exactly so.
    It is always the little old lady, the grown up toddler, the confused crustacean, the person worthy of metta, mostly ourselves who exasperates us.

Increase in Metta, anyway you can . . .

OM MANI PEME HUM

It's not your cart.

:p

Vastmind
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Of course, then there's the other side of the coin I experienced each year when a few teachers would move on to another school or retire, etc. Some of our teachers felt they could just take anything they wanted and move it to their room. Often leading the school to have to buy some new equipment. I'd call that a Precept or Commandment -- stealing.

edited April 2014

@lobster...so if I hear you right.... all kinds of people, mostly ourselves increases our frustration. I agree. More metta for me for feeling so bad about it and more metta for her or anyone else that would frustrate me. True! Metta is always the answer, isn't it? .. :) ..

HHDL speaking....sorry, I had a hard time with his accent. .. :o .. I only understood bits and pieces. I think he was explaining the wisdom I got from this.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@Vastmind I have had a similar thing happen lately, too. It turned out multiple times actually that people I felt I bumped heads with, actually had something in common with me, and that made me more likely to be gentle and understanding with them. Which is true, isn't it? That we are more likely to be nice and think the best of someone, even if they are having a bad day, when we know even a little something about them that makes us more likely to like them? Now to find a way to expand that to everyone. Really, as humans, we all have many things in common, and we should all be kind to each other because of it.

Vastmindyagr
    edited April 2014

The main lesson I took from it was like the OP....I just assumed it was somebody else and went off at the mouth. ( I know, it's not like somebody else wouldn't have made it any better), hahaha, but bec I didn't stop and think and breath first, I ended up loud talking someone I really like at work....and it was my attachment/fault to begin with.

Gratitude to Ms. Pat for the teaching I recieved. .. :) ..

I thought it might be relevant to the OP bec it's easy to talk about people you don't know or aren't close with...but when the wrong speech lands on the person you would never go off on...it's humbling.

Bunkskarasti
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

You're right @Vastmind‌.

The person I was critical of was in another city and I notice that there is a real divide within the business I work for between the two cities that it operates in. It is very easy for us to have a go at the faceless person in the other office!

Vastmind
    edited April 2014

Yep...our left hand never knows what our right hand is doing....and I have to remind myself that it's the disorganization and work processes that are creating the confusion and frustration, and sometimes lack of knowledge/training.... but that falls on the institution....it's not the other person. Most of the time they are just as frustrated at the processes or lack of oversight as I am. Ms Pat was pretty frustrated that she had no available cart to walk a gazillion miles in order to transport THIER work. Not hers.
    She didn't make it personal. I did.

@Bunks

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2014

HHDL speaking....sorry, I had a hard time with his accent. ..

If the Dalai Lama with his accent had taken our trolley, we would probably feel pleased . . . he no doubt has some important use/teaching about the meaning and use of everyday experiences.

Can we manifest Chenrezig with practice of the mantra? Does a trolley have to have four prayer wheels to be useful or our mouth silenced by mantra?

At the moment I am learning to 'speak' robin as they are nesting in the garden. Getting the body positions right by mimicing their behaviour. Not sure I will be carrying worms in my beak to the nest, however it would go down well . . .

In the crazy cructacean world, putting mantra on wheels, good words/worms in bad mouths is part of the fantasy . . . that leads to . . . did you guess? The real . . .

http://www.dharma-haven.org/tibetan/meaning-of-om-mani-padme-hung.htm

OM MANI PEME HUM

Vastmind

Well, why didn't you say that the first time? .. ;) ..

Gotcha. As usual, I need to practice the mantra more for it just to pop up on the spot in the middle of a trolley controversy, hahaha. Ever work for congress? This may take a couple of lifetimes...hahaha. Thanks for the clarification. .. :) ..

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Hey when you live in the real world this is normal. It has been 5 days and I have not spoken something with ill will in mind. However, I'm not in the real world at the moment...