Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A place to begin or to begin at all

I starting looking into Buddhism when I found some of the ideas seemed similar to how I see myself and the world but I also see differences. I am trying to determine where I am at and where Buddhism will take me. What is the end goal as far as the psyche of someone who has achieved all that is to be achieved? I would like to see if that is something that will be beneficial.

Where I am at...

I have not learned how to meditate. Acceptance is simply a part of who I am. I refine my desires to make way for my greatest values. My emotions are very dim but definable. I am calm, purposeful, and content. I do not achieve great happiness nor do I suffer sadness. To me empathy is something I work toward. Dissociating myself from people is easy and natural. Empathizing is learned. I can be connected to people when I need to understand them but separate and judge the situation purely objectively. I do not dislike anyone. I see no enemies. I see nothing to dislike. I see only self destruction and I pity them. I do not see anything as being able to penetrate my contentedness. I do not see anyone's actions or emotions or the worlds circumstance as being able to affect me as my emotions are mine and not theirs. They can take not take my will no matter how much they strip from my body.

Perhaps in all this I am arrogant. Perhaps I have yet to see real pain. Perhaps I am not so impenetrable. I can only say that I have no fear. I am most defined by objective reasoning. Even my emotions are of my making and of my choosing. What could I change in myself that would make me a better entity for those around me? Is my goal in empathy enough? Will it serve? Should I even desire to want to change people no matter how good it seems to be for them?

Comments

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited May 2014

@Grayman What are you looking for? Buddhism isn't going around trying to gain converts. It's not threatening you with damnation if you don't believe X, Y and Z. It's a tool for those who recognize the inherent unsatisfactoriness of human existence, the great rat race to find happiness in all the wrong places (and never for long). Some people just don't experience much unhappiness, and to them I would say "good, no worries then!".

• GraymanGrayman Veteran

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    Grayman What are you looking for? Buddhism isn't going around trying to gain converts. It's not threatening you with damnation if you don't believe X, Y and Z. It's a tool for those who recognize the inherent unsatisfactoriness of human existence, the great rat race to find happiness in all the wrong places (and never for long). Some people just don't experience much unhappiness, and to them I would say "good, no worries then!".

It seemed, when watching a video, that there was an end goal 'state of mind' that Buddha was trying to achieve and I was trying to determine the details of what that is.

I am not interested in god, creation, or afterlife. These are not of any importance. I am interested in 'state of mind'. I am interested in a connection between man in consciousness. I am not just looking for happiness. I seek to feel all emotions including the sadness of others so that I can share in them and understand them. I do not see sadness as a bad and painful thing to be avoided. I see it as something to accept as 'not enjoyable itself' but the aspects around it are so profound and important that I in a way do enjoy sadness. It allows me to feel connected to mankind in a deep way.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited May 2014

@Grayman In short, the Buddha was seeking an end to all human suffering. Turns out it's all mind-made, and if you get your head right about the nature of mind/everything and change your routine (Noble Eightfold Path), including meditation, you can gradually lessen the suffering you experience in life (ideally completely eliminate all anxiety, frustration, pain, etc.). Lots 'o information available out there on the internet, I'm not even sure where to point you.

BuddhadragonanatamanInvincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Well...

If you are presently most defined by objective reasoning, then Buddhism can show you the limitations of such an identity.

&

The end goal as far as the psyche of someone who has achieved all that is to be achieved would be....... sufferings cessation.?

anatamanInvincible_summer
  • GraymanGrayman Veteran

@how said:
    Well...

The end goal as far as the psyche of someone who has achieved all that is to be achieved would be....... sufferings cessation.?

Something that cannot be explained...

If come up with an idea of what it could be, how would you define it personally?
    Where is you current path leading you, if you do not mind me asking?

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran

The enlightenment of all beings. As per the Bhodisattva vow.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2014

@Grayman

Meditation (my path) illuminates my part in sufferings cause and how, in each moment, I can bring about it's cessation or not. It allows me to explore that what I had formally assumed was "Me" is little more than the inertia of habituated impulses designed to protect something that never needed that protection. It is a process that slowly softens and dissolves my identity boundary's to reveal an ever widening existence. I liken it to moving from thinking that I was a separate water droplet, to finding out there is just an ocean.

Meditation takes it from the theoretical to the experiential. I do not expect any of this to sound attractive to you, in fact from the objective reasoning perspective, it should sound delusive or identity threatening. I mention it only to warn you of what you might discover should you seriously take on what you now declare yourself to be inexperienced in.

My current path is simply another footstep towards bringing resolution to ever subtler karmic inclinations that continue to dream they are separate from a wider existence.

Invincible_summer
  • GraymanGrayman Veteran

@how said:
    Grayman

Meditation (my path) illuminates my part in sufferings cause and how, in each moment, I can bring about it's cessation or not. It allows me to explore that what I had formally assumed was "Me" is little more than the inertia of habituated impulses designed to protect something that never needed that protection. It is a process that slowly softens and dissolves my identity boundary's to reveal an ever widening existence. I liken it to moving from thinking that I was a separate water droplet, to finding out there is just an ocean.

Meditation takes it from the theoretical to the experiential. I do not expect any of this to sound attractive to you, in fact from the objective reasoning perspective, it should sound delusive or identity threatening. I mention it only to warn you of what you might discover should you seriously take on what you now declare yourself to be inexperienced in.

My current path is simply another footstep towards bringing resolution to ever subtler karmic inclinations that continue to dream they are separate from a wider existence.

Thanks for your reply.

I am not certain I understand fully but is this what you mean...
    Meditation is a method for connecting to that which is the source of all consciousness and to arrive one must remove themselves from individuality.

Meditation takes it from the theoretical to the experiential. I do not expect any of this to sound attractive to you, in fact from the objective reasoning perspective, it should sound delusive or identity threatening.

Delusive, maybe but we all are entitled to our delusions. A mind cannot function without attributing some form of meaning when their objectively is none. It is a contradiction none can be fully rid of until they die.

As far as individuality. That is valuable to those who desire life and existence. It cannot fully be rid of but such subjectivity is to be reduced in order to achieve some form of objective reasoning. Objective reasoning is to exist outside of desire.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@Grayman

Yes.
    Put another way.....

It is simply learning how to allow phenomena to arise, live and pass on unmolested by the habituated impulses that define our identity and offers the chance to experience existence beyond the constraints of our conditioning.
    It is a partaking of an intelligence that transcends our own limited mentality.

BuddhadragonInvincible_summer
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2014

@Grayman: You can view Buddhism as a psychological system that helps you come to terms with personal affliction and make skillful choices about your life. Happiness and suffering are your own making according to which thoughts and actions you choose to nourish.
    Buddhism is basically a practical system, so getting the theory right only helps if you intend to extend it to your interactions with the world. Knowledge per se won't take you too far unless you put all the theory into practice.
    Meditation and loving-kindness are an integral part of Buddhism. Meditation enables you to gain in knowledge (hopefully in wisdom) and insight to help you make good decisions about your life, among other benefits. We know the list of benefits of meditating is long.
    Loving-kindness, on the other hand, helps you develop empathy with other people, realize that we're all on the same boat and share the same aim to be happy.
    It is a very personal path, so comparing yourself to others, "pitying them" as you say, won't help you much in your progress, or gain more insight into your own shortcomings. You'll be better off minding your own garden.
    Compassion, by the way, the spin-off of loving-kindness, also applies to yourself for slipping-up sometimes. We're human.
    Personally, I don't find overintellectualization very helpful either. As the saying runs: "Your actions speak so loud that I can't hear what you say."

lobsterBarra
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

My take: Buddhism is not objective: How objective could anyone be when hitting a thumb with a hammer? On the other hand, Buddhism is not subjective either: How subjective could anyone be when hitting a thumb with a hammer?

Objective and subjective have to do with separation. Buddhism does not separate things. On the other hand, prattling about "oneness" is just another aspect of the separation game.

Saying what Buddhism isn't is easier than saying what it is. But if I had to guess, I guess I'd guess that Buddhism is just a way of realizing and actualizing the understanding that existed before all these delicious habits of mine attained liftoff.

That ... and perhaps the wish to stop living like a zombie.

• CittaCitta Veteran

@genkaku said:
    My take: Buddhism is not objective: How objective could anyone be when hitting a thumb with a hammer? On the other hand, Buddhism is not subjective either: How subjective could anyone be when hitting a thumb with a hammer?

Objective and subjective have to do with separation. Buddhism does not separate things. On the other hand, prattling about "oneness" is just another aspect of the separation game.

Saying what Buddhism isn't is easier than saying what it is. But if I had to guess, I guess I'd guess that Buddhism is just a way of realizing and actualizing the understanding that existed before all these delicious habits of mine attained liftoff.

That ... and perhaps the wish to stop living like a zombie.

Sorry, but if I was exploring Buddhism and came across that I would probably log off and try something else. Something comprehensible that did not depend on sophistry.

@Grayman I would suggest that Buddhism is not suited to everyone.

Something clearly has led you here. But you describe yourself as happy and contented.

Perhaps you could consider putting all this on the back-burner.

It may be that it some point you might feel the need for medicine.

When we are aware only of feeling well and full of energy we see no need for what ever might fix us.

anataman
  • Woah93Woah93 Veteran

@Grayman Have you ever fallen in love with someone? I have experienced most of my "intense" subjective emotions during those times. Including grasping, avoiding, pleasure, pain all wrapped up in one compact serving!

• GraymanGrayman Veteran

@Woah93 said:
    Grayman Have you ever fallen in love with someone? I have experienced most of my "intense" subjective emotions during those times. Including grasping, avoiding, pleasure, pain all wrapped up in one compact serving!

I found it was not love. Love is so much more pure. That was desire and not just sexual but an ideal image of what I thought I would get from love.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Perhaps in all this I am arrogant.

Perhaps.

Invincible_summer
  • GraymanGrayman Veteran

@lobster said:
    Perhaps.

:)

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

Sit, watch your breath, drop the concepts about where you going.