Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is this place for me?

MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful AgnathiestCT , USA Veteran

Hi everyone ,new here! Been in recovery since 91working a 12 step program. About 7 years ago I felt the urge to go deeper with my prayer and meditation. I don't really pray so deeper exploration into meditation seemed key. This lead me to books by Anthony DeMello, Thich Nhat Hanh , Eckhart Tolle, J. krishamurti ,etc. I didn't find any thing with religious and spiritual trappings to appeal to me. I settled on a strictly mindfulness based practice. Jon Kabot-Zinn does this wonderfully . I'm wondering(though I'm fairly sure I'm the only one who can really answer this) if " newbuddist" is the right fit for me though I welcome thoughts. I still have the same "issues" with formal practice and such as everyone else. Bob

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Welcome @MeisterBob‌ - you'll find the whole spectrum on here so I hope that at least some of what gets discussed will be of interest.

Kundo
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

As far as I can tell this place is made up of all sorts of different people. You're right @MeisterBob‌ , you're the only one who can know if this is the right place for you. It's not like you have to hang out here all the time or anything, it's a resource just like anything else.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Check it out for a while, see if enough of what is discussed is of interest to you. We have people here who are not Buddhist at all, those who are Buddhist mixed with other beliefs, those who are brand new Buddhists, and those who have been Buddhists for decades. They all have wonderful things to offer, and the things that don't speak to you, you can just let them go and not worry about them.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

:)

Hi.

This is the right place for everyone. However not everyone is here yet. ;)

It as mentioned and as you say, up to you. Walk with us a while, find out. Decide.

ZenshinJeffreyVastmindDandelion
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran

I don't know where you'll find a friendlier bunch to offer advice if you ask, or just plain chew the fat.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Hi Bob! Nice to meet you.....

Is this a place for you? ... There's only one way to find out......

See you around .. :) ..

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Hi @MeisterBob‌ and welcome.

I've been here for some time and I still wonder if it's the place for me :D

In metta

Bunks
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2014

@MeisterBob: welcome. i have been here for quite some time now, and i know it is not the place for me, yet i am here - so kind of addictive place - so be cautious, now you have been warned :D

regarding emoticons - top secret - don't tell anyone - these emoticons never work, specially when you want them to work and complaining does not work either :-/

KundoBunksBuddhadragon
  • MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

Thank you everyone for the warm and compassionate responses! Checking in on a community such as this may prove helpful in focusing my intentionality! Bob

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Like the others said, whether this place is for you or not, it's up to you to find out.
    Though I hope you find what you're looking for, as poet Rilke more or less said (I'm awful with quotes), until you find the answers, learn to love the questions!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@how said:
    Welcome MeisterBob

The two main membership requirements are...

The ability to respectfully communicate with others and

to never divulge that our moderators type naked....

I take it you want to sit in the naughty corner?
    And you can put that feather duster down too for a start!

Hi @MeisterBob‌, nice to meet you! Sorry about the naked bit. Is my slip showing...? :D

anatamanKundo