Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Markdown - just how CAN I use it?

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited May 2014 in NewBuddhist.com

I want to use Markdown to post - but clicking on the link just takes me to a page explaining what it is.

I believe @Lincoln would like to promote its use much more widely here; so, how do I go about using it?

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

Using the Button Bar above the comment box automatically inserts it. You just type it in the comment box, otherwise.

For instance to do bold in HTML (what we used before) you'd type: <b>bold</b>

In Markdown it's: **bold**

It's not much easier to remember, but it is easier to type than all those angle braces.

edited May 2014

Typing a list is 1 thing where Markdown really kills HTML.

This is a list in HTML:

<ul>
    <li>item 1</li>
    <li>item 2</li>
    </ul>

This is a list in Markdown:

`* Item 1

• Item 2`

Either produces this outcome:

• Item 1
    • Item 2
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

`so I just click the 'c' button....

bold`

italic

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Good grief, how much easier is that?

Doofus here never bothered to investigate the C button.
    Never occurred to me.
    Well, it wouldn't, would it, not with my techno-blindness....

``* item one

• item two
    edited May 2014

The 'C' button is specifically for doing code examples like I did above. It just puts backticks around something, and anything inside the backticks isn't formatted. Caveat: it doesn't work with double line breaks :)

Hmmmmm....
    So...sorry... How do I actually IMPLEMENT Markdown...?

God you must think I'm a whole new type of thick....

edited May 2014

bold

italic

• item

*item too

What's the #tag for?
    Is it the same as @Linc‌....?

And I have to say, the paragraphing/ line spacing is a problem.

edited May 2014

I don't follow. You don't "implement" it - it's just the way your comment is read & formatted.

The #tag is a search feature. Click it. //edit: ha, it doesn't work right. I should probably remove that.

(Why is my listing not working like yours??)

You have a double line break in the middle. Single only.

I did a single to begin with. Got the same result, hence my trying to insert another line space...

*list one
    *list two....

That was a single return....

Oh goodness.. I am posting from my phone, I should have said from the start!

There is a space between the asterisk and the first letter.

I would think posting from a phone would make a difference...Sony XPERIA...chrome.

And any hope for emoticons?

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited September 2014

A new addition to markdown is supposed to be strikethrough, activated with double-tildes before and after the text (i.e. foo would give you foo). For some reason it doesn't work here.

I think @Linc has come across some minor glitches... smileys are probably the least of his problems. Spacing is an issue, and even using one asterisk before and after text, makes a difference.
    I'm using a single asterisk before and after this word:

see?

It has the same effect as the underscores...

see?

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

That is an optional part in markdown, both above work the same. There were two subversions of markdown developed, one used underscores, one single asterisks. @linc implemented BOTH here.

edited September 2014

Why? There seems little point, in my opinion....

It's an inconvenience when people feel a need to use asterisks to make specific effects... For example, when people want to sigh.... the intention is lost as it becomes an italicised word.

Basically 'Markdown' works differently to any other formatting on any other website, and frankly, some find it bothersome.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:
    Basically 'Markdown' works differently to any other formatting on any other website, and frankly, some find it bothersome.

I've marked it down. :p

I rest my case. :p .

SarahT

What happened to "the customer is always right?" :p

@SpinyNorman said:
    What happened to "the customer is always right?" :p

"....Bloody-minded, rude, opinionated, arrogant, foul-mouthed, insolent and patronising - but never wrong!"

I thought customer service was supposed to be better across the pond? :p

It's excellent. Providing the customer does exactly what the store demands of them.... :p .

The service industry here is not regarded with as much professional respect as it is in the USA.
    There's a fine art to Customer Service, and up until recently, it seems, being in the Public Service sector was a cause for pride in one's work, in America.
    That flavour may now be changing, if it hasn't already, but the same (previous?) level of pride has never been existent here.

My irritation is with phoning call centres. The other day, at the end of another frustrating and pointless conversation, the "customer service advisor" ( yuk! ) was obviously reading from some inane transatlantic script and said in a bored voice: "Is there anything else I can help you with today?"
    Me ( wearily ) "No, you still haven't helped me on the problem I keep phoning you about. You're the fifth person I've spoken to, and you all say something different and none of it makes any sense."
    Advisor: "Oh well. Have a nice day!"

Humph. I suppose that's the modern idea of good customer service?

Well, as to liking markdown? I find it a mess. But then I am used to html.

I don't even know what html is. Or rather I used to know but then lost interest. ;)

edited September 2014

If you want asterisks to print, backslash them: \*test\*

Creates: *test*

Same goes for any punctuation you want to print that triggers Markdown.

It's more common for asterisks to represent emphasis than an action, hence the default.

• SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

Why do I find that, when I select emoticons, I seem to get type rather than a picture? Let's try it here:

:banghead: :dunce: :banghead: :hiding:

OK - so first three work but the last one?

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited September 2014

@SarahT You need to put something after the last one if there's no text following it. I usually do the HTML code for a space, which is &nbsp; (but some people use a period).

;)  
    :)  
    :D  

:banghead: :dunce: :banghead: :hiding:

Is there a list of these emoticons somewhere?

edited September 2014

@SpinyNorman‌ There's a smiley face drop-down box at the top-right of the editor, and it brings up a 5x11 grid of emoticons.

edited September 2014

edited September 2014

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    SpinyNorman‌ There's a smiley face drop-down box at the top-right of the editor, and it brings up a 5x11 grid of emoticons.

Doh!
    :rolleyes:

I used to use that, then it disappeared and....anyway

EDIT - so why isn't :rolleys: working above??

Ok.
    end of sentence.
    space.
    Emoticon.
    space.
    full stop (or period, as the USA puts it.)

here we go. :) .

edited September 2014

@SpinyNorman said: Doh!

... :rolleyes: .
    >
    I used to use that, then it disappeared and....anyway
    >
    EDIT - so why isn't :rolleyes: working above??

It is now....

@federica said:

I'll have a go.
    :rolleyes: .

Aha! Thanks @AldrisTorvalds :D  

Any hints for remembering what html is for a space? :eek2:  

@SarahT hmm "AND" you want a space, so the &... then the NB part can make you think "NewBuddhist", and the SP part "Space", don't know about the ; at the end.

I just remember it from having to use it. Practice makes perfect.

Like! Thank you

:cool:  

We're doing some fixes for emoticons very soon.

Our forum software has a much better way of doing them now, but your humble administrator hasn't taken the time to painstakingly translate all our emoticons one-by-one to the new system yet. :) Soon.

Quit with the 'humble'... You deserve a medal for the work you do here, @Linc. :) .

lobster

@federica said:
    Quit with the 'humble'... You deserve a medal for the work you do here, Linc. :) .

He can give himself a special badge. :p .

Toraldrislobster

A new editor should help out :)

• @Linc said:
    A new editor should help out :)

(*)

Very cool. ##Wonderful

Doing my best to create

a heading

ah of course . . . you can not use it mid sentence

Just when you thought it was idiot proof, along comes a better idiot (c'est moi)

Emoji, well the old unique ones might come back sometime then? Not in a rush, mind you, @linc.

• I like 'going dark'/stealth mode . . . try double arrows on right of toolbar . . . looks like we iz evolving . . . ;)