Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What makes one a Buddhist ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora,

Well apart from the obvious taking refuge in the three jewels...What is it that makes one a Buddhist ?

Metta Shoshin :)

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora Jeffrey,

Good answer...

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

Jeffrey's answer is good, but ....

What I was taught was that being a Buddhist is defined soley by Refuge.

That said, you should practice, too.

As you will see shortly, there are those who will differ with my definition.

Shoshin
  • MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

Don't know. I might be taking refuge in the jewels without knowing them as such though. ..

ShoshinBunksKundo
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

If you follow Buddha's teachings and call yourself a Buddhist as a result, that's good enough for me. Most people I know who call themselves Buddhists either have taken refuge (with a teacher or on their own) or are planning to do it at some point.

I was thinking about this question today, actually. I dipped my toes in the waters of several different faiths along the way. And every time, I had the same question "what makes you a X?" For me, it was always asking for the purpose of wondering if that is where I was. Could I call myself an X yet?
    But when I found the path that I belonged on, I never had to ask that question.

ShoshinvinlynBarra
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2014

I like Jeffreys answer because it implies that what makes a Buddhist, a Buddhist, is not just someone who took the refuges but is the one who is still taking the refuges.

ShoshinKundo
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I think anyone who is a "Buddhist" for long enough begins to wonder how it would be possible to not-be a "Buddhist" ... at which point you can stop wondering and do something useful ... like sell Tupperware.

ShoshinKundoHamsaka
  • woods93woods93 Explorer

I think what makes someone a buddhist is traits. Being kind, helpful and understanding. Meditation and practice is very important but is useless unless shared with others.

ShoshinBarraBuddhadragon

Kia Ora,

So on a personal level what does it mean to take refuge ? And what does one practice when practicing ? When does practice stop being practice and become a way of life ?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@woods93 do you mean expressing those traits along with identifying as a Buddhist? My mother in law is wonderfully kind, helpful, and understanding. But she is a devout Catholic and wouldn't probably want to be called a Buddhist just because she had those traits ;)

@Shoshin said:
    Kia Ora,

And what does one practice when practicing ? When does practice stop being practice and become a way of life ?

From a Mindful Agnostic POV- Mindfulness. The practice begins and doesn't stop. Bob

Shoshin
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Taking refuge is to live in the flow of the universe. From your side you are going to work hard and investigate. From the universes side Buddha will keep calling to you.

From the heart sutra:

When the Blessed One has said this, venerable Sariputra and noble Avalokitesvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, that whole assembly and the world with its gods, humans, asuras, and gandharvas rejoiced and praised the words of the Blessed One.

So we know that all of the Buddhas get happy when someone understands the dharma.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

The real question implied is what makes one a proper or real Jeffery, Howard, Lobster, Shoshin, Cushion or Buddhist? Apart from name calling, trust in the path, walking the walk . . .

Nothing makes one a Buddhist. Even the Buddha did not go in for name calling . . .

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.036.than.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dona_Sutta

JeffreyBuddhadragonKundoEarthninja
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Taking refuge makes you a Buddhist. Your practice makes you a Buddhist.
    But if I had to choose one thing, I'd say your actions make you a Buddhist. Buddhism is a belief that entails practice, not just learning.
    As the old adagio goes "Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear what you say."

CittaKundo
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

@genkaku said:
    I think anyone who is a "Buddhist" for long enough begins to wonder how it would be possible to not-be a "Buddhist" ... at which point you can stop wondering and do something useful ... like sell Tupperware.

And frankly my response is if you had spent the last decasdes selling tupperware you would not have to beg for money on your blog under a picture of yourself dressed as a Zen teacher.

Irritating twaddle.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@‌ Citta

Your response to Genkaku's light hearted post was uncharacteristically harsh.

What's up?

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited May 2014

Otherwise Citta is only characteristically harsh then?

Aaargh this markdown is killing me. How do you get the smileys to work?

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

@how said:
    @‌ Citta

Your response to Genkaku's light hearted post was uncharacteristically harsh.

In truth ?

I am pretty much tired of the same old expressions of superiority over 'ordinary believers, who apparently need putting in their place' by the use of paradox, made constantly by someone who has a picture of his own zendo himself dressed as a zenteacher on a blog which constantly puts down all the other people dressed as zen teachers. And constantly decries the very idea of Buddhism.

What's up?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ok, guys, I get it, but let's stay cool, ok?

Kia Ora,

Sabbe Dhamma Nalam Abhinivesaya - for if you cling you suffer...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Thanks @Shoshin‌, but I've been doing this for nearly 10 years... I'll ask if I need help...

...;)...

@federica said:
    Thanks Shoshin‌, but I've been doing this for nearly 10 years... I'll ask if I need help...

...;)...

Kia Ora Federice,

I don't doubt your knowledge, experience and commitment...Good on you....And keep up the good work...

Thank you. :0)

(and it's 'federica'... Only important, because placing the "@" symbol IMMEDIATELY before a member's name alerts them to mention of them in a post: but the replication of their forum name has to be exact.)

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2014

@Shoshin: a little less Pali for us rookies here, please...
    Brackets and translation would come handy, too .. :eek2: ..

Well, to be fair, the translation did follow, but it wasn't clear that it WAS the translation...

@dharmamom said:
    Shoshin: a little less Pali for us rookies here, please...
    Brackets and translation would come handy, too .. :eek2: ..

Kia Ora Dharmamom,

Sorry about that... Sabbe Dhamma Nalam Abhinivesaya=(Nothing Whatsoever Should Be clung To !) It's the only Pali sentence I like to use because of its great importance when interacting with others-especially when differences of opinion come into play as they often do in such forums, it's important to just drop it/let go before any unwholesome mental baggage starts to accumulate...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Well apart from the obvious taking refuge in the three jewels...What is it that makes one a Buddhist ?

It reminds me of that old joke: "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" ;)

federica

For some reason this quote seemed relevant.

A student once said: "When I was a Buddhist, it drove my parents and friends crazy, but when I am a buddha, nobody is upset at all."

Jon Kabot-Zinn

federicalobsterKundo

In brief: Don't talk - do.

MeisterBobBuddhadragonKundo
  • wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited May 2014

In short, oneself?

No.... Because some other smart-ass apart from me will tell you that a Buddhist knows there is no 'self'.....

wangchueyMeisterBobBuddhadragonKundo

I thought that was how you become Pope....

Zenshin

@Jason said:
    Easy peasy. :)

Kia Ora,

Cheque's in the post.... :D

(Yeah, right... Like we haven't heard that one before....)

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

Define "Buddhist" and then you'll understand what makes one a Buddhist! :)  

Picky picky.....

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    Define "Buddhist" and then you'll understand what makes one a Buddhist! :)  

Kia Ora,

Easy peasy. :)

A person who has sent Jason a cheque for $200 US and received in the post an Official Buddhist™ membership card ! - :D

BuddhadragonBunks
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

@Shoshin‌ Well that counts me out. Oh well. Maybe next year!

Jason

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    Shoshin‌ Well that counts me out. Oh well. Maybe next year!

Kia Ora,

I was told the $200 US is a special discount price on for this month only...- ;) --

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

If you act now you can also be Christian and Zoroastrian for this singe price of $200..

Shoshin
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

And with a one time payment of $201.00 we can now offer you a life time
    Buddhist registry ) with a magic decoder ring for Zen Koans.

Notice to reincarnating Tibetans. Transfers are now available with proof of original purchase.

ShoshinKundoBuddhadragon
    edited May 2014

I see you have all conveniently omitted to mention the pound of flesh payable, and Branding-of-the-buttock ceremony any New wannabe Boodhist has to submit to..

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2014

Really Federica
    Ya want me to send another copy of my buttock brand.... again?
    I am beginning to think there is more to this than meets the eye

KundoBuddhadragon

Stop moaning and just sit on the copier, will you...!?

howShoshinBuddhadragon

@how said:
    And with a one time payment of $201.00 we can now offer you a life time
    Buddhist registry ) with a magic decoder ring for Zen Koans.

Notice to reincarnating Tibetans. Transfers are now available with proof of original purchase.

Kia Ora,

I wasn't told about this special offer when I signed up, so can I be upgraded...Make me one with everything -- :):D

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

For a one-off payment of £100 you will be franchised to teach SMS ( Spiny Meditation System ), though you will need to purchase your own equipment ( comfy chairs, snacks and widescreen TVs ).

The robes. Don't forget the robes. You can't be a bona-fide Buddhist without the robes...