Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Please - Help. A woman's life is at stake.

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I know I'm asking a lot, here, but: Please share this as much as you can, via whatever medium you choose. This has got to stop.
The more people know about this - and take action - the more it will help.
Go to the 'Amnesty International page link, and fill out the protest letter. You can even add your own message to the existing pre-written one.
Keep it polite. But please - do it. You don't need to subscribe, and you don't need to pay anything. But if you do nothing, this woman will certainly pay with her life, for things we take for granted, here....

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I signed

federica
  • CittaCitta Veteran

I had already signed.

federica
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

thanks.
    I will admit that I signed more than once, but then again, I have several different email accounts.

I am not suggesting that makes me better, or that others should do likewise.
    I'm merely saying I managed to do this, because of multiple email accounts, that's all.
    There is no inference there.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I signed the US version but I can do this one too, can't hurt!

Earthninja
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

done

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

OK.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

How about a human's life is at stake?

I signed.

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Signed! I can not believe in this day and age an entire country can put a law down that violates human rights. Wow.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2014

Latest, seems to indicate a delay in the sentence:

However, this isn't a cancellation of the sentence. So pressure still needs to be kept up to prevent this human (Happy now, @Chaz?) from being killed.

I notice Amnesty International AND the BBC both refer to her as 'a woman'.

Perhaps you'd like to take it up with them too.

Woman, man, animal same thing :) this saddens me. Great job sharing @federica I sincerely hope petitions help. Media coverage internationally would be great.

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

Signed and spread.

Thanks, @Victorious - thank you to everyone....

@federica said:
    Latest, seems to indicate a delay in the sentence:

However, this isn't a cancellation of the sentence. So pressure still needs to be kept up to prevent this human (Happy now, Chaz?) from being killed.

>

I notice Amnesty International AND the BBC both refer to her as 'a woman'

And that makes it ok?

The thing is, if you read your request, it sounds like the issue is that a woman shouldn't be facing injustice is what's important. What differenece does it make what the gender is? Injustice is injustice.

In our society we strive for a politically correct level of gender equality and neutrality, which I happen to think is a Good Thing. That works until it becomes socially acceptable or correct to ignore that equality and neutrality in order to make a point, or arouse sympathy. A pregnant woman should NOT be executed. The father of that womans unborn child should not be executed. No difference. Do not try to arouse my sympathy by trying to make one execution sound more heinous and barbaric than another.

@federica - I live in a country where people are executed for various crimes on a frightfully regular basis. Men as well as women. This is wrong. Everything about it is wrong. Drawing attention to one aspect, or another, especially on something as relatively meaningless as gender, only distracts from the the real issue.

It's not that a woman is going to be executed. Its a human, a person, a sentient being that's about to be executed. To focus on a particular gender suggests that only that gender faces injustice through execution. We all face it.

Now, can you watch more that one minute of Cloud Atlas? I can't. My family of feral Puja Tables, down in the crawl space, has been watching it over and over for the last week. It reminds of the story about the reclusive millionaire, Howard Hughs, and his obsession with the movie, Ice Station Zebra - sitting in a screening room, alone, peeing in milk bottles and not bathing for months on end. Kinda creepy. I've tried to talk to the feral Puja Tables, to get them to stop, but they merely laugh manaicially, throw up seven times, march in a circle chanting, .........

Say it now, and say it loud .....

All I want is for them to go back to the Shrine room.

I need sleep.

Yes, I think you do.

ToraldrisvinlynEarthninja
  • Signed. I read this story a few days ago and thought the law is insane, the guy gets lashings yet a pregnant female gets a death sentence, pure insanity.

At least two more from buddhist.se.

A tip. Seems one of them contacted the embassy in stockholm too. I'll do the same.

/Victor

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

My only quandary is: how many more women could be in this woman's situation all over the world and we'll never probably hear about?

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

@dharmamom‌ We can't do much about stuff we don't even hear about, all we can do is act on what we do know.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@dharmamom said:
    My only quandary is: how many more women could be in this woman's situation all over the world and we'll never probably hear about?

That's saddening but at the same time, I find it empowering when I hear people standing up. As few as 20 years ago, we wouldn't have heard about any past our closest cities.

Thanks, @federica‌

Buddhadragon

@dharmamom said:

And how many men, too? Victims of injustice, all. Unknown. Unremembered. Unnamed. Murdered without Reason by a bloodthirsty and vengfull State to satisfy the lust of a rabid mob.

betaboy

@Chaz: if you have drum to beat, I suggest you do so, and I recommend it.
    But this thread isn't about you, or your views, and balancing the equation just to make your politically-correct view satisfied.

It has a point.
    The point is to enrol support for a woman who is being horrendously treated, by men, in a patriarchal society using religion as a feeble and poor, not to say utterly invalid and redundant, excuse.

If you don't like it, that's just tough.
    But quit hijacking the thread, simply because your PC sensibilities are 'offended.'

@federica said:

The point is to enrol support for a woman who is being horrendously treated, by men, in a patriarchal society using religion as a feeble and poor, not to say utterly invalid and redundant, excuse.

And your attiude is unforgivably sexist.

Men are executed by men under equally bulshit excuses with far greater frequency.

How about a little compassion?

• DobsDobs Maine, USA Explorer

The purpose of this thread as I see it is to raise a voice to help a being in need. I find it unfathomable that this could degrade into an argument.

EarthninjaToraldris

@Dobs said:
    The purpose of this thread as I see it is to raise a voice to help a being in need. I find it unfathomable that this could degrade into an argument.

No, right from the start, this is about a woman being treated unjustly by men.

That such a heinous situation should boil down to a sexist male vs female issue is what's unfathomable.

@Chaz‌ it's not a sexist male vs female issue.

The thread was raised to help a human who may die because of a free choice they made.

You just didn't like the way @federica‌ put the title. Maybe she/he is sexist, maybe not.

@federica‌ is trying to help someone, we should do the same!!!

VictoriousBuddhadragonToraldris
    edited May 2014

@Chaz said:
    That such a heinous situation should boil down to a sexist male vs female issue is what's unfathomable.

>

There is, or was nothing remotely sexist about it, and neither did anyone else feel it was - until you mentioned it.
    And it still isn't, simply because you imagine it to be.

And I beg to differ, k?

edited May 2014

@Earthninja said:
    Chaz‌ it's not a sexist male vs female issue.

Yes, it is. Gender is differentiated from the OP and someone later made specific reference to treament of a woman at the hands of men.

The thread was raised to help a human who may die because of a free choice they made.

Did you read the OP? It's about a woman.

I contend that the REAL issue has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with gender.

You just didn't like the way federica‌ put the title. Maybe she/he is sexist, maybe not.

Perhaps and as you say, and perhaps not.

federica‌ is trying to help someone, we should do the same!!!

No doubt of that, but it is still what it is.

@Chaz said: And your attiude is unforgivably sexist.

>

Seriously, this really goes to show how little you know me, or even pay attention...

Men are executed by men under equally bulshit excuses with far greater frequency.

>

I am aware of this, but firstly, this thread is about a different topic, and secondly, I don't think you've ever garnered support for them here, yourself, at all, in the past, have you?

How about a little compassion?

>

That's the point of THIS thread.... isn't it?

@Chaz said: I beg to differ, k?

>

Of course. That as ever, is your prerogative.
    As I said, as you feel so strongly about it, I would recommend you open up a thread to discuss it.

vinlyn
  • signed and shared, thank you for raising our awareness.

@Chaz, I understand your point and your argument certainly has a place, but I don't see how bringing to light one case with a specific story, is sexist.

I personally don't like how the media used the fact she is pregnant to somehow make her life appear more valuable. I don't mean that to sound insensitive, I signed several petitions and I agree with doing all possible to save her life, pregnant or not. But the law in Sudan has always been that pregnant women are not executed, and usually when that happens it is not carried out until the baby is also weaned. Not that that makes the conviction and punishment any less heinous. But the media for several days twisted it to make it sound as if the baby would be executed along with the mother, which isn't the case. The several days after the story made the news it was the horror over the fact they wanted to execute a pregnant woman that made it such a big story. If she wasn't pregnant, if she wasn't Christian, would it have been such a big story? Somehow, I doubt it :( Thinking about it, I had a lot of questions like Dharmamom did, what about all the rest? Her story is very sad, and I hope somehow the world can make a difference and save her and get her and her family out of the country. But it is also sad that a lot of people around the world find her life more valuable than others who have met the same fate just because she is pregnant and they were not. (and I'm only comparing her to others like her with similar cases, not the guilty true criminals)

The last few years, Sudan has 300 people on death row, with an average yearly execution rate of 7-10 people. Not that even one is ok, mind you.
    The US, on the other hand, has over 3000 people on death row, with 40-70 average executions. We remain one of the countries with the highest execution rates, lower only than a handful of other like Iran, China, North Korea, and Yemen. We're in good company.

I'm not trying to make a comparison or in any way say this women's life isn't worth helping because others are not helped. While I am not a fan of the death penalty no matter what this case is exceptional because of the supposed crime she committed. But it's just good to keep perspective, and remember that of the 3000 people on death row in the US, 150 or so of them are likely completely innocent. And eventually will die in prison or be executed for something they did not do.

Jeffreyzider_red
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Yes and guys can't wear pink. I want to wear pink. :'(

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

I signed. Thanks all for passing this opportunity along.

When I was coming up, "human" was an adjective and an adjective only. We kids didn't quite know HOW we were Beans, but were universally informed by the grown-up authorities that we were "human beings," even though the latter word was a bit hard to pronounce. There was a lot of dignity in that, we thought in our simple child ways —and I still think that way about the term and have a distaste for using the former adjective ("human") as a noun.

To substitute the word "human" for "woman," seems a little trite and crude to me. But I wouldn't correct anyone for using the term. In a quiet moment, though, I might share the term I used with another if I thought it might be of interest.

@Jeffrey said:

>

I beg to differ....

• Gender was not even a thought for me. It happens to be a woman, but remove the "wo" and I would have signed anyway.

edited May 2014

Has the Sudanease Gov promised to release her? I read it in the swedish news just now.

Here it is! Looks promising. Great news!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27651483

Why is 'to free' in inverted commas?

Hmmm... something fishy going on here.

Sudan is apparently bowing to outside international pressure, but they won't want to lose face or look as if they're backing down. That would fly against their stringent adherence to Islam....

I'm waiting until she's interviewed by the BBC/CNN in total liberty, before I pop the cork....

Victorious
    edited May 2014

@Jeffrey said:

You are in luck! :).

Real Men wear Pink!!!

mmoJeffreyKundo
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2014

update :

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/23/world/africa/sudan-woman-freed/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I admit...I'm glad this is over. The Christian conservatives here were using it as an "example" of how Christianity is under fire and they are not being allowed their religious freedom.... even though they are the majority here and squeeze the hell out of the rest of us.(captive audience?) ....don't get me started .. :grumble: ...

Chaz
  • CittaCitta Veteran

I hope and pray its true this time...it seems to be.

Social media pressure played an enormous part.

That's us, folks (and I would assume, several million others too) but we did our bit.

And our bit helped.

well done everyone, and thank you all so much for your individual efforts to bring this injustice to a positive result.

VastmindCittaKundo
  • CittaCitta Veteran

A nasty game is being played...

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

I spoke too soon .....

• CittaCitta Veteran

She was apparently arrested by 40 ( FORTY !! ) security officers.

I read the articles earlier today, but have they said what they claim to have arrested her for this time? Cripes.

@Vastmind said:
    I spoke too soon .....

>

Me too.... Although my personal gratitude still stands...

• CittaCitta Veteran

Looks like another campaign is needed. There is real evidence that it makes a difference..

Oh, I agree... but I don't think those who protested before are going to let up now - not when it appeared that "victory" was theirs and it was snatched from their grasp by frankly inhuman and totally unacceptable tactics....