Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I Pad or paper?

BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe DiemSamsara Veteran

I don't own an I Pad. I don't own a Kindle. I love the smell of old books. And paper has no electronic alter egos in very specific situations, as demonstrated by the clip attached.
But natural resources are dwindling fast. We resort to recycling. Entire woods are disappearing.
What is your stance? I Pad or paper?

anatamanmmo

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran

I like an electronic book for bed; no noisy turning of pages or bright light to disturb Mrs Tosh.

But I prefer a book any day.

I think we should plant more trees.

EarthninjaBarra
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I've planted 7 in the past two years. I don't think the Highways commission was too happy about where i put them though.....

Earthninja
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Both.
    I own a lot of books. I increasingly don't buy them (except used books) except in ebook format. For a couple reason: #1 they are usually cheaper. Sometimes much more so. #2 It's much more convenient to bring my kindle with on a trip than to bring 4-5 books. #3 It saves space. I only have so much space, and most of my books I like to keep.

But "real" books will always be something I enjoy. I buy what I deem to be important types of books in real book format most of the time. If it's a series or collection or a book I am likely to study from more intensively I opt for real book format. It's just easier for me to retain the information when I am interacting with the book. However, I do find the kindle highlight option to be most helpful.

Plus the kindle offers many free books on things I am interested in, which is nice, and I can share the book with people (sometimes) by sending a link to email rather than having to borrow the book, and then wait forever to get it back or find they loaned it to someone else, or lost it. They are also nice for our library. We are in a small town, and our library has limited funds and space, so the lower price of ebooks helps make them available to more people and take up none of the limited space.

I hope they don't entirely replace books, and I don't think they will any time too soon. There is room for both, and in a world increasingly short on space and resources, I think it's a good thing to have as an option.

Also, because we live in a small town, it's handy to not have to drive 2 hours to the nearest Barnes and Noble to find a book, or have to order it. Sometimes one of my kids needs a book for a school assignment or something, and being able to get it so they can start working right away is a nice benefit.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

One thing that I think is impossible on an iPad or kindle; you can't find interesting notes in the margins... I have a couple of study books (English Grammar!) which belonged to my father when he was a young man and still studying. Some of the notes in the margins are quite funny, and give me an insight into my father's youthful humour, yet studious dedication to the subject.

Nothing I've inherited, of course...... :rolleyes: .

anataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I've planted 6 trees and I've lost count of how many shrubs in the last 6 weeks. Nothing beats the smell of an aged book though!

Hopefully, if everyone decides to go down the electronic route, trees will once more breathe a sigh of relief, as we regain equanimity. Not sure how Syria and Iraq will work out, but I really hope these wars on distant shores work out in favour of the suffering people, and NOT the controllers.

metta

And that has.....what... to do with ipad or paper.....?

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@federica said:
    One thing that I think is impossible on an iPad or kindle; you can't find interesting notes in the margins...

I have a real passion for the whiff of old books and all my books are heavily marked and underlined. I buy second-hand whenever possible, and the rare antique edition when available.
    Last Christmas, my Mom offered me a 1910 edition of T. W. Rhys Davids "Buddhism."
    The previous owner's name is scribbled in pencil on the first page: "Mabel Elliot 1910"
    My Mom wrote in pencil at the foot of the page:"From Mom with love, Xmas 2013"

@federica said:

(I was secretly wondering if it was just me, missing out on some sort of private English joke...)

@federica said:

Absolutely nothing

So, I was just wiping my butt on something. What's this thread about btw ... \ lol / ...

edited June 2014

@anataman said: Absolutely nothing

>
    So, I was just wiping my butt on something. What's this thread about btw...
    >

heh heh...I see what you did there......

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I use an Ipad, sometimes in a library so I can indulge in aged paper sniffing. :D .

EarthninjaBuddhadragonanataman

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2014

Paper. I'm a big note taker. Color coordinated notes and arrows and small drawn pics for reference. I've always been one that if I have to solve a problem/puzzle/riddle...I draw it out....even for retention.

I'm a visual learner .. :) ...

Ewwww...the eyeball!

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited June 2014

I used to have a Kindle, and it was a great investment. I could buy books (and get a ton of free ones they keep updating at Amazon) and have them immediately. Otherwise I might be interested in a book and lose interest before it actually got to my house, not being a big purveyor of bookstores. This way I'd dig right in. It might be bad if you look at it as instant gratification, but I read more books during the couple years I had that Kindle than I had read in the previous 7-8 years. It just made reading fun. Make that fun again.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I have been an avid reader since I was taking books from my dad when I was like 8 years old. My teacher took "The Shining" away from me when I was in 4th grade, lol, my dad was not amused. I read constantly. I usually read anywhere from 3-6 books at a time, depending. Dharma books, fiction books, kindle and not. Right now I am reading CTR's Bodhisattva book, The Yamas and Niyamas (Deborah Adele), and One (Richard Bach, I've read it multiple times) in real book format, and then Mr Mercedes (Stephen King), Ayurveda-The Science of Self Healing (Vasant Lal) and The Conscious Parent (Shefali Tsabary) in kindle format.

On Saturday my teenager is taking his college entrance exam in a city 2 hours from us, and I am utterly thrilled that I can spend 4 hours at the bookstore as a result, lol. I came from a kind of naive family. They knew lots of stuff, but all practical things, building, plumbing, and so on. Not that they aren't all great things to know of course, but even from a young age, I wanted to learn, and books were my way of being able to learn despite being born into a family that at the time could have cared less about learning anything about the world around them, and being part of a school district that was pretty meh as well.

So I will take reading in any form I can get it...except online. I have a very hard time reading much more than short article and forums online. There was actually an interesting study that came out recently saying people who mostly read online (not ebooks that follow a normal book format) and don't read books, lose the ability to normally read books, they cannot follow the format anymore, and have a hard time understanding what they read. Through practice it comes back, but I found it interesting that they lose it at all. I kind of expected reading to be like bike riding...you might be a bit rusty but just jump back in, but apparently if you train your brain to read in other ways, you somewhat unlearn normal reading.

Buddhadragon

@Vastmind said:
    Paper. I'm a big note taker.

I'm a visual learner .. :) ...

Ewwww...the eyeball!

I'm also a big note-taker and notorious underliner. Very visual too. Can remember quotations or telephone numbers just by closing my eyes and visualizing the paper on which things were written.
    The eyeball belongs to dear late Peter Cushing. He gave me many a sleepless night when I was a child! I must have watched all his horror films.
    I have come to realize that I can't even spell 'iPad' right!

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

I hate reading on my computer. It hurts the eyes after a while. My Kindle wasn't backlit, meaning it was just like reading paper (and the battery lasted forever, at least until my Kindle died :-/ ).

• Paper.. I love books! I have read a few on the screen, but I don't like it.. Hurts the eyes and it's more difficult to comprehend what the book actually says..

A while ago I saw a guy using some sort of reading-device in the bus though, and it looked pretty cool. It must've been that e-ink or what's-it-called, cause the screen was easy to read, didn't require a certain angle to watch and seemed "stationary" like a real book.. I could be talked into using one of those, but I'd still buy real books..

• footiamfootiam Veteran

@dharmamom said:
    I don't own an I Pad. I don't own a Kindle. I love the smell of old books. And paper has no electronic alter egos in very specific situations, as demonstrated by the clip attached.
    But natural resources are dwindling fast. We resort to recycling. Entire woods are disappearing.

Ipad and paper. Ipad or not, our natural resources are always dwindling.

• footiamfootiam Veteran

@dharmamom said:

Ipad and paper. Ipad or not, our natural resources are always dwindling.

And that folks, is a good example of recycling....

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran

I use my iPad all the time. For checking email, Facebooking and reading on line discussions. Easy to do at 7am when I've decided that I don't want to get out of bed yet. It's great to take traveling. Backlit is great for reading in bed cause hotel rooms usually have lousy lighting (for reading paper books) and if you have a roommate, the light won't bother them. When I was in Laos I discovered a great local mystery writer,Colin Cotterill, and I downloaded his book. Was reading a passage that took place in a Buddha cave, right after I visited that very cave!

I like to play online scrabble with my Facebook friends, and I find the Pages ap handy for taking notes and starting drafts of documents. I email them to myself and then continue revising the document on my PC.

Bic is still making a small fortune out of me.....

Toraldris

Bic is making a small fortune out of me, too. I buy them wholesale.

Toraldris