Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Alcohol

13»

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran

Woe is me. I am definitely in the non virtue camp.

Jeffrey
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@anataman said:
    I'm lost now - what is the problem with alcohol?

There is no problem with alchohol. If there's a problem it's with people and their puritanical belief systems.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

@anataman said:
    I'm lost now - what is the problem with alcohol?

It disturbs the mind, Results in increase in delusions and mindless actions, Wastes our human life.

That's the problem.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Sorry @Chaz, I was being rhetorical, and had lost the thread, so I'm about to pour myself a G&T!

so who is up for a laugh ... \ lol / ...

Why not take Pratimoksha vows and abandon Intoxicants ? Got to try and practice virtue sometime :)

Start now before its to late.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2014

@anataman said:
    Sorry Chaz, I was being rhetorical, and had lost the thread, so I'm about to pour myself a G&T!

so who is up for a laugh ... \ lol / ...

Me, Me!! (raises hand).... I thought you'd never ask. And please...pour me a damn drink!

.. :banghead: .... lololololol

anataman

Because the rules are for fools @caz‌.

VastmindJeffrey

I'd join you but I've been fighting a kidney stone for the last week and vicodin doesn't play nice with scotch.

My urologist did perscribe beer, though.

I wonder what our more puritanical friends will say about that? I'm taking drugs that mos def lead to heedlessness. My doctor thinks I should be drinking beer. I'd rather drink scotch. I'm like, the worst Buddhist, ever.

Vastmind
    edited July 2014

Hey, @vastmind, heres chew yew! Sorry, I didn't realise which glass was mine.

edited July 2014

@Chaz...ouch. ....... Feel better. .. :) ... OH yeah...your heedless on those little bad babies.....hahaha...No drink for you...you just sit back and laugh....hahaha

Chaz

2 litres a day water the rest is what you want too imbibe, its a simple prescription

@anataman said:
    Because the rules are for fools caz‌.

Why does abiding by virtuous discipline make one foolish ? :)

@Vastmind said:
    Chaz...ouch. ....... Feel better. .. :) ...

Thanx! I will, given time. Meanwhile I could use some tonglen. And an oxy.

Who is making up the rules? - its not me! But if you would grant me something, your question suggests that you have virtue.

edited July 2014

@caz said:
    Why does abiding by virtuous discipline make one foolish ? :)

It doesn't...don't worry. He was just breaking the tension....It's a funny saying, that's all.

Continue to do what you feel is right....We know and hear your stand on this issue....

If you want to hear me admit to being without virtue...in all fairness...put your dirt on the table too. You may not drink...but your not perfect. Are you willing to put your uglies out on the line for us to de-construct? ......We're in this together. There is just as many 'bad' things you do as I do. Jump in the ring...let's get on equal footing. It's easy to not partake in the every day conversation here, and put yourself out there so we get to know you and your interaction with the world/people, but then... just jump on when it's time to put people in line.

@Chaz - TONGLEN - hang on in there...

Vastmind
  • NeleNele Veteran

When I was first reading about Buddhism and learning to practice, I abstained from alcohol for months. Now, about two years later, I occasionally drink one or two drinks. But I know for certain my mind is clearer with no drinking at all. I love how clear and calm things become when I've been a week or so without alcohol! --Someone said this discussion is akin to the meat-eating, rodent-killing threads and I think that is indeed true. We know these things are frowned upon if not downright forbidden by most schools of Buddhism, yet most of us tailor our morals and actions to our own lifestyle; we throttle up or down according to our comfort level with the precepts.

TNH believes in no alcohol consumption. He says (I paraphrase) that even if you think it has no affect on you, it could affect the people around you as they detect even small changes in your behavior.

But I don't think I'll ever abstain from alcohol completely. Our species seems to have quite a penchant for mind-altering substances. I acknowledge and respect that aspect of this body!

Jeffrey
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

I think this tread has run its course. Everyone has their own opinion on the matter, and it's ultimately up to each individual to decide what is right for them.

My advice for those who like to drink outside of certain Vajrayana practices, the fifth precept is a precept for a reason, and it's worth thinking about.

And for those who don't, the Buddha said that only one "whose mental fermentations are ended, who has reached fulfillment, done the task, laid down the burden, attained the true goal, totally destroyed the fetter of becoming, and who is released through right gnosis [i.e., an arahant], cannot possibly transgress these five principles"; so rather than casting verbal stones at those who occasionally do unskillful things, maybe we should try to be encouraging instead.

We're each heir to our actions, born of our actions, related through our actions, and have our actions as my arbitrator, not the actions of others. Just some food for thought.

Jeffrey
This discussion has been closed.