Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Insomnia and meditation

Does any of you know of any possibility that meditation could help with insomnia?

Thanks

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Not specifically, although your position may help... raise your feet a little way above your hips, and do a complete body scan.... then recite a mala. I find this sends me off in no time....

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Traditionally samatha meditation is an antidote to the hindrance of restlessness and anxiety, so that might help. It depends of course what the cause of the insomnia is.

Earthninjalobster
  • mmommo Veteran

@federica‌, what is Mala?

@SpinyNorman‌, is Samatha meditation to be done before sleep?

It is just sometimes, I got trouble not being able to sleep. I don't get dizziness or headache in the morning. But I feel that I don't get the sound sleep.

I know everything around me at night. So am I turning into light sleeper? What is light sleeping anyway.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

This is a Mala. I use one often.

mmo
  • mmommo Veteran

Oh :D prayer beads. Parents are visiting me and bring one for me. Will try that tonight.

Thank loads

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@mmo‌

I find that sleep, like meditation, is simply a reflection of how I live my life.
    Determining changes to the quality of my sleep or my meditation, has always depended on the quality of attention paid to each moment of my day.

DandelionmmoBuddhadragon
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Do you have specific things on your mind when you can't sleep @mmo? Are you anxious about specific things?

lobster
  • @mmo said:
    Does any of you know of any possibility that meditation could help with insomnia?

Thanks

Yes. If not sleeping. Meditate. Funnily enough, the more meditation, the more time awake . . .

What you are perhaps concerned with is rejuvenating sleep helped by 'yogic sleep' . . . yoga nidra . . . or you could try reading dharma books instead of z z z . . . (the worthier and more boring the better . . . sutras always put me to sleep) ;) .

doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-nidra-sleep

Daily exercise practice always helps one sleep better . . .

Bunks
  • mmommo Veteran

@bunks, Yes. I do have issue. It is a failed relationship which I am trying to let go of for the past year. He has moved on easily though. At first I got depressed for some time. Meditation and having friends and family around help me cope with this issue a bit. But I am left with occasional sleepless nights.

@lobster‌, thanks, I will try that reading thing as well. Before, I plays some Ajahn brahm youtube video and listen while I am in bed.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I'm sorry to hear that @mmo. You've probably heard it 100 times but here's 101: time heals.

At some stage in the future you'll get over it.

Good luck!

• mmommo Veteran
    edited August 2014

@federica‌, just want to say that you describe my problem well. I have been chasing or trying instant cure or fix to my issue, after some time getting stuck in it. I like your post and respect you for taking time to review my situation.
    Thanks.

lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@mmo said:
    SpinyNorman‌, is Samatha meditation to be done before sleep?

It might help. You could try focussing on the breath for a while, alternatively feel your weight on the bed which is a way of grounding yourself.

mmo
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@federica said:
    This is a Mala. I use one often.

Mine is always either tied around my left wrist or hanging around my neck.

@mmo: I do believe time heals. But you have to help with the healing.
    Try to let go, fill your day with interesting activities, go out with friends, give yourself the chance to meet new men...
    Only you can make it work.

mmo
  • There is always a space in which healing can visit. Notice and rejoice in the space. The space is always there.

• @Jeffrey said:
    Notice and rejoice in the space.

Strangely most of us are attached to our dukkha. We wish to pick at the scab. Play with our wounds.

Putting into place the means for practice, space, tranquility, emotive health, dream awakening would mean . . . well what?

Decide. Implement. Be on the path.

We all knew that right? :wave: .

mmo
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Meditation does rest the brain in much the same way sleep does (but probably not immediately if you are just starting out)
    get some fresh air, sunshine, and exercise during the day. It helps a lot with sleep later on.

lobstermmo