Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Art just ego?

2»

Comments

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited September 2021

Is Art just ego?

At times the ego can be very artful...

lobster
  • I will tell you that a good proportion of the previous respondents in this thread, have not been present for some consideable time; one has even died.

That would make an excellent art expression, 'Watch me die'. Look forward to not going to this at Tate Moderna. Perhaps artists are preparing their latest virus originals?

So we have the uses of art:

• Expression
    • Issue Focus
    • Art as beauty, preference, form, emptiness, photography substitute, commercial investment, devotion etc etc ad infinitum dada samsara

The question is one of attention, distraction and attraction.

Buddha is Art

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Art can also be inspiration… Buddhist and Christian art is mainly meant to be this.

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Don't forget 'art therapy' for the examination of the ego/self and its various dysfunctionings. Is that ego driven, or not?

lobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

The first thing that went through my head when seeing the thread this morning was the album by Guns N Roses called Use Your Illusion. I've never liked their music much but I like that title.

Our uniqueness is a gift and our art is a tool just as using any tool becomes an art.

I think that when we learn about ourselves we can better understand others but at the same time, the more we get to know others, the more we learn about ourself because we are unique aspects of the same reality.

People learn in different ways and one persons self expression can be the catalyst for anothers awakening.

lobsterRen_in_black
  • Art from an arrogant or selfish mind is ego.
    Art from compassion, from the heart is ego free.

lobsterShoshin1