Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Racism in Buddhist America

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@silver said:
    I've noticed it is kinda whack! :D

And, of course, sometimes I'm kinda whack (although not for the same reason many people are out here in Colorado...pot).

silverShoshin
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2014

@Frozen_Paratrooper said:
    I think it's a pretty undisputed fact that Americans have a preoccupation with guns in a way our cultural cousins do not.

I beg to differ. I think SOME Americans have a preoccupation with guns. I've never known anyone anywhere who had a preoccupation with guns, and I've lived in 3 states. And I don't define hunting as having a preoccupation with guns. There's a high rate of hunting rifle ownership in Sweden and Norway, for example, and Germany and France. But those are the "cultural cousins" who you characterize as not having a preoccupation with guns.

So I don't know who, or where, all these gun-preoccupied Americans are. They're not anywhere, where I've lived. Oh, wait--certain neighborhoods in Oakland, CA. I'll give you that. And military and some ex-military like yourself and that mom who just got shot with her own gun by her 3-year-old toddler. She was in the military, and kept one of her guns under the living room sofa, right where a little toddler would find it.

But gun owners in the US are in the minority, and if you don't count those who only have hunting rifles, you're down to even a smaller minority. So the sweeping assumption that Americans have a preoccupation with guns is quite disputable.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Dakini said: "...mom who just got shot with her own gun by her 3-year-old toddler. She was in the military, and kept one of her guns under the living room sofa, right where a little toddler would find it."

>

Military wife or not, she wasn't the brightest bulb doing that. For starters, yeah the spot she chose to put it in was all wrong like totally, plus you're supposed to keep the guns and ammo separately and if you do keep a loaded gun, by all means find a smarter place to put it!

• @silver said:
    Military wife or not, she wasn't the brightest bulb doing that. For starters, yeah the spot she chose to put it in was all wrong like totally, plus you're supposed to keep the guns and ammo separately and if you do keep a loaded gun, by all means find a smarter place to put it!

Well, not to mention the fact that you're supposed to keep guns under lock and key, with the key well hidden.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Dakini said:Well, not to mention the fact that you're supposed to keep guns under lock and key, with the key well hidden.

This is true...this is very true.

We all know what an imperfect world it is, and I realize that people are going to get ideas about what to do in a 'what if' potential scenario in their homes or wherever, and in the case of the mom shot by her 3-year-old, she probably should've discussed her thoughts and ideas about this course of action with her husband or whomever - she probably would've gotten some good feedback on it.

The thing is, people can do all sorts of things that they think are constructive, but sh*t happens anyway sometimes.

I'd sure like to know what went through her mind about why she thought that was the best location she could come up with.

• @silver said:
    I'd sure like to know what went through her mind about why she thought that was the best location she could come up with.

Yes, it's definitely one of those "what was she THINKING?!" -type occasions. Unfortunately, we'll never know. And that poor child will really have some psychological fallout to deal with at some point, once the impact of his actions dawns, and he comes to understand what happened.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2014

On the OT, I wonder how many of you would consider it your duty as a Buddhist to step in if you saw an out-of-control cop beating on someone? Would you be willing to risk being arrested for interfering with a police officer? How about a couple of racist bullies picking on someone?

I honestly don't know what I'd do because I'm not the bravest person in the world. But I believe my practice would call on me to try.

Vastmind
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Fascinating stuff. Overall, there's been a downward trend in householders owning guns. Not much of one, but it's there.

Gun culture in America is not pervasive, it condenses itself in pockets and areas. It happens to be that there is huge money and votes to be had in perpetuating citizen ownership of guns. Leave it up to an American to vote based upon high drama rhetoric like gun ownership, abortion, gay marriage. They come out in DROVES just for those issues. There are too many to number who'll vote against their own food stamps and state funded health care just to keep their guns.

@Cinorjer said:
    On the OT, I wonder how many of you would consider it your duty as a Buddhist to step in if you saw an out-of-control cop beating on someone? Would you be willing to risk being arrested for interfering with a police officer? How about a couple of racist bullies picking on someone?

I honestly don't know what I'd do because I'm not the bravest person in the world. But I believe my practice would call on me to try.

I'd worry more about getting shot by the cop nowadays.

@Hamsaka said:
    Fascinating stuff. Overall, there's been a downward trend in householders owning guns. Not much of one, but it's there.

I think what's happening is that fewer people are owning guns, but those who do are owning more guns. It really gets to be an obsession for many.

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    To @Cinorjer‌ 's point, I'd record a police interaction myself. In the case of non-officers being overtly racist, let's just say that despite being almost pathologically shy, I also have a busted social verbal filter and an even more busted tolerance for BS. :p
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Cinorjer said:

I would step up. Not just because I'm a Buddhist, but because it's wrong and I hate seeing people abusing positions of power.

But I firmly DO believe that stepping in is a Buddhist thing to do.

_ /|\ _

Rowan1980Buddhadragon
  • @Hamsaka said:

The problem may not be so much whether citizens can own guns or how many or even what kind of gun. The problem is that the guns are unregistered and really easy to get. So unbalanced people can have an arsenal of military weapons. Or individuals can purchase many guns to be smuggled out of the country, and no one is keeping track.
    The gun lobby wants to keep it that way because they don't give a damn who gets the guns as long as business is good. For some reason a lot of Americans buy into it. Mainly because the NRA has convinced them that any kind of control will lead to their guns being taken away.
    That's the way I've read it from all the recent discussions about gun control that happen after each latest mayhem in your schools down there
    If someone can't sleep at night or cut their lawn without a loaded gun at arms reach, that's their problem. They should have as many guns as they need to feel safe, I suppose.
    It becomes my problem when no agency is keeping track of gun sales and ownership and unregistered handguns and other illegal weapons are pouring across the border into Canada and Mexico.
    According to Chaz the guns will come from somewhere if not the US. I ask, where is that?
    The USA is the source.

I've read articles in the past where lots of different places manufacture guns, like Russia, Israel, Germany, all sortsa places. I'm sure there's a brisk trade among them all.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2014

@Cinorjer said:

I think one would have to have some awfully skillful means to diffuse a situation like that. I think in most cases I wouldn't be up to the task. Though I have stepped in in minor situations. It's a matter of assessing the situation and deciding if one has something effective to contribute, or whether the situation is beyond one's capacity to do anything. Proceed with caution. I'd say that being a witness to an incident could be helpful, if police are called. Someone wrongly accused could use an impartial witness.

silverCinorjerSarahT
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2014

I thought the topic was "Racism in Buddhist America" (though why America should be singled out on such a multi-national forum begs further question....) :wtf:

HamsakalobsterChaz
    edited November 2014

I don't even know what "Buddhist America" is. But it's still been an interesting thread.

edited November 2014

@vinlyn said:
    I don't even know what "Buddhist America" is. But it's still been an interesting thread.

Yeah, me neither....I've enjoyed it.

We have meandered a bit, though.

vinlyn
  • @vinlyn said:

It means America's Buddhist communities (sanghas, whatever). Racism in Buddhist communities in the US. But the topic could just as easily apply to Buddhist circles anywhere: Australia/NZ, England, Europe, wherever there might be sanghas where there could be a lama who's neither of European heritage nor of Asian heritage, but from some kind of marginalized community. The backdrop for the topic was the recent unrest in relation to racial issues in the US.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

He's an exactin' kind of guy that vinlyn . . .

• In Europe – what I have seen - there are hardly participants in Buddhist groups form “marginalized communities”.
    Maybe that’s a cultural thing.

Buddhism appeals to Westerners who are looking to fill the spiritual void left by Christianities decline. People with Caribbean or Islamic roots have different problems and need different solutions.

I’m just guessing here.

@zenff said:
    In Europe – what I have seen - there are hardly participants in Buddhist groups form “marginalized communities”.

Buddhism appeals to Westerners who are looking to fill the spiritual void left by Christianities decline. People with Caribbean or Islamic roots have different problems and need different solutions.

I’m just guessing here.

That's very stereotypical.

• If you have bettter ideas I'm open to them.

edited November 2014

Not every Buddhist practitioner in the West is a disillusioned Christian.

A better idea might be to not generalise.

Buddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Right, well, I know it's a bit late in the day (I have had my mind on other stuff) but can our American members please bear in mind that other countries exist and this forum is extremely varied in its membership? We get quite a few threads on USA internal matters which I for one find a bit insular and exclusive. Racism is a global issue and I have never come across racism or any subtle hint of it, with specific regards to Buddhist communities. I personally think sexism is a more serious issue....

KundolobsterzenffCinorjer
  • @dhammachick said:
    Not every Buddhist practitioner in the West is a disillusioned Christian.

A better idea might be to not generalise.

And I hope I can mention “cultural differences” without being politically incorrect.

edited November 2014

@zenff said:
    And I hope I can mention “cultural differences” without being politically incorrect

Yep, you were doing well till the next sentence. I didn't consider it politically incorrect, just plain ignorant. _ /|\ _

• @zenff said:
    In Europe – what I have seen - there are hardly participants in Buddhist groups form “marginalized communities”.

I’m just guessing here.

Well, people like that are fairly rare in Buddhist sanghas in the US, too, but they're a growing group. And now we're getting to the point of even having teachers from minorities other than Asian. I think Buddhism can appeal to anyone. Look at how popular Buddhism is with people raised with Judaism. The potential is certainly there.

zenffKundo
  • Racism is a global issue and I have never come across racism or any subtle hint of it, with specific regards to Buddhist communities.

I would suggest in the UK, Buddhist groups are predominantly not representing the local chav populace. Buddhists tend to be white and middle class, even when situated in very working class and ethnically not lily white areas.
    Why do certain groups feel less able to attend?

Racism, class (in the UK) is sometimes very subtle.

In some parts of Europe we have a sense of other that might baffle. Greek and Turkish Cypriots. Catholic and Protestant Irish and so on.

Degrees of prejudice are unbelievable. For example my brother in law can identify an Irish Catholic by demeanor, gait, use of language etc. As a Protestant he has to know 'the enemy'. His mother refused to sleep under the same roof as his best friend - a Catholic. Buddha and Holy Mary Mother of Cod protect us . . . His friend had to leave.

Demonising 'other': police, child, parent, alcoholic, crazy, gun owner, white trash, banker (those accursed scum - oops o:) ) etc is a human trait. We can not see racism or demonisation or acknowledge it because on some level we have blind spots . . . I am sure I do . . . for example those accursed non cushion lovers . . . ;)

Group mentality. Mob mentality. Think how many groups you belong to. On some level we exclude and include based on our circumstances. Who do we identify with?

. . . and now back to other issues . . .

Shoshin
  • Hee. The subject of the new conversation reminds me a very funny comedian Reginald D Hunter (a black man raised in the US but living in Britain) and what he says. "They have racism in Great Britain, but they're not very good at it."

VastmindShoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2014

I like Reginald, very dry humour. It came up "This video is not available in your country", very ironic that. :p

CinorjerDavid
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

The youtube link worked for me....I did get a snow screen at first....

I wouldn't call this racism, but at some Theravadan temples there's been a little bit of an attitude of how can you be Buddhist, you're not Asian.

@vinlyn said:
    I wouldn't call this racism, but at some Theravadan temples there's been a little bit of an attitude of how can you be Buddhist, you're not Asian.

>

To be honest, I don't know why you wouldn't consider it racist, because a person doesn't have to be beaten or shot to prove racism.....the attitude is one exclusivity and rejection.

@silver said:
    To be honest, I don't know why you wouldn't consider it racist, because a person doesn't have to be beaten or shot to prove racism.....the attitude is one exclusivity and rejection.

I guess because when I think of racism I think of looking down on or hostility, or denying rights. Where this is more a duh, I don't get it attitude.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"Racism in Buddhist America"

Where people (and isms) are involved, there's bound to be conflict....

edited November 2014

@vinlyn said:I guess because when I think of racism I think of looking down on or hostility, or denying rights. Where this is more a duh, I don't get it attitude.

I don't get it! :D

I guess I figure that no matter what the scenario is, between what two types of people, the ones making the other ones feel unwelcome, is a stone's throw away from common courtesy and respect, and denial of basic human rights, etc. ?

yup...I ain't getting the Reginald Hunter video either. How ironic is that? Can't be the real reason.... It's a UK video..... isn't it?

Someone, put a shilling in the meter!!

Kundo

@silver said:
    I guess I figure that no matter what the scenario is, between what two types of people, the ones making the other ones feel unwelcome, is a stone's throw away from common courtesy and respect, and denial of basic human rights, etc. ?

Ah, you see, these were Thai Theravadan temples, and even though there was the feeling that I couldn't be Buddhist because I wasn't Thai/Asian, I was still welcomed in.

@vinlyn said:Ah, you see, these were Thai Theravadan temples, and even though there was the feeling that I couldn't be Buddhist because I wasn't Thai/Asian, I was still welcomed in.

Okay ... They welcomed you - but you sensed that feeling some how? I'm just curious and am trying to understand the fleshed-out scenario - how you got that feeling.
    :)

@silver said:
    Okay ... They welcomed you - but you sensed that feeling some how? I'm just curious and am trying to understand the fleshed-out scenario - how you got that feeling.

Well, there were a few times when people actually said, "How can you be Buddhist? You aren't Asian." Or "How can you be Buddhist? You're American."

Other times it was just a tad bit of awkwardness, but once I would tell of my time in Thailand they would relax and it would be a fairly nice encounter.

I've found over the years that when Thais speak English it's often a rather unfiltered version. "You're fat." "You're bald." "How much do you earn in a year?" "How much did that shirt cost." There isn't a connotation to many such statements, it more just a statement.

Nirvanasilver
  • @federica said:
    yup...I ain't getting the Reginald Hunter video either. How ironic is that? Can't be the real reason.... It's a UK video..... isn't it?

Someone, put a shilling in the meter!!

Try going to youtube and searching for him. You might get a version your copyright gatekeepers let you watch.

I checked him out on You Tube. I wasn't bowled over. He was okay.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

I have a bunch of clients who I see once a year who are cops from a variety of ethnic backgrounds. Every passing year seems to have them all feeling a bit more isolated from their neighbors than the year before.

I do sometimes wonder if this is actually more of a human phenomena with population densification like those experiments with aggressiveness in rats when they are overcrowded.

SarahTHamsaka

I have to say, he do play 'de black/racist' humorous card a lot.... "Oh, dat's a white thing, innit...?" and "Yeah, us blacks do the bowing thing real good...."

@how said:
    I have a bunch of clients who I see once a year who are cops from a variety of ethnic backgrounds. Every passing year seems to have them all feeling a bit more isolated from their neighbors than the year before.

Do they ever think it might them? Or do they always assume it's the general public?

• There is always hope . . . but it has to be generated . . .

http://boingboing.net/2014/11/28/white-cop-black-boy-hug-at-po.html

• howhow Veteran Veteran

I don't know @vinlyn

This is just me spending an hour with them where they often conversationally speak of job stress, being overwhelmed by the paperwork requirements, feeling unsupported by both the judicial system and the public at large and having to be more careful with whom they socialize with.
    I do not see specific blaming so much as them feeling an ever increasing need to better protect themselves from everyone else.

This discussion has been closed.