Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Monkey mind and my world view breaking down.

Hello,

Since I am meditating I am enjoying it really looking forward to it, I am afraid I might get to attached to my practice and meditation.

At the same time I am thinking in the style of 'oh no now for the rest of my life I always have to spend time meditation.'

I also think 'Oh no no more alcohol.' So on and so on, that I sometimes think let's give up and just drink and chase as much pleasure as possible. It keeps gnawing at me, did any of you ever feel like this or experience such a thing? I think it's just a thing I feel because I am beginning etc. But I wanted to talk about it and ask you people.

I am very sorry for all the topics I make, but I have no place close to me no sangha nothing.

Comments

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Hi, @Rhodian!

If you don't allow the monkey mind to hop from one extreme to the other, and gear for Middle Path, you'll probably settle down better in the new positive life that you want to create for yourself.

You have been through a lot already, so you don't need to bring on more suffering into your life.
    Alcohol once in a while, a pleasure once in a while is okay, as long as you don't end up feeling more dissatisfied or frustrated in the end.

Happens to everyone. Only last Friday was I threatening my hyperactive son with packing my suitcase and fleeing to a yoga retreat in Thailand.
    Another Mum in distress had one such day too, so for a moment we were indulging in fantasies of Thelma and Louise fleeing the household routine :)

JeffreyCinorjerKundo
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Rhodian says:"Since I am meditating I am enjoying it really looking forward to it, I am afraid I might get to attached to my practice and meditation."

>

Even though I haven't been at it much longer than you (maybe 1-2 months), I've come to think of it as every bit as important as brushing my teeth.

ShoshinCinorjerBuddhadragon
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

^indeed. Meditation is another part of self-care, the same way feeding yourself, sleeping, seeing the doctor/dentist, whatever else you do to care for yourself. It's not an indulgence to care for the mind as well as you care for the body. But, one can become obsessed in a way that is unhealthy even to the healthiest of subjects. Brushing your teeth is important. But if you do it 25 times a day out of fear or obsession, it becomes something else entirely. Balance :)

Cinorjer
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@Rhodian said:
    Hello,

Since I am meditating I am enjoying it really looking forward to it, I am afraid I might get to attached to my practice and meditation.

At the same time I am thinking in the style of 'oh no now for the rest of my life I always have to spend time meditation.'

I also think 'Oh no no more alcohol.' So on and so on, that I sometimes think let's give up and just drink and chase as much pleasure as possible. It keeps gnawing at me, did any of you ever feel like this or experience such a thing? I think it's just a thing I feel because I am beginning etc. But I wanted to talk about it and ask you people.

I am very sorry for all the topics I make, but I have no place close to me no sangha nothing.

I've always taken Ajahn Thanissaro's advice that being attached to meditation is a skillful attachment.

mmolobsterHamsakaCinorjer
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I've always taken Ajahn Thanissaro's advice that being attached to meditation is a skillful attachment.

@Jason -- Go ahead and give it a whirl but don't be surprised if it doesn't pan out.

• This feels so familiar to me, especially the alcohol.
    Sometimes the issues are the symptoms not the problem. I rarely meditate now and I drink far to much. Except when I am away from home when the opposite is the case.
    So please look at other factors not just the obvious ones.

Cinorjer
  • consistently meditating for a couple of years is better than meditating often, but stopping and starting. if I could pick something to get attached to I would rather it be meditation than most anything else just as I would rather be attached to exercise than eating fast food.

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited December 2014

@Rhodian,

And remember: when it comes to life's pleasures "Everything in moderation!" (The middle way)...

CinorjerBuddhadragonmmoKundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Did someone call?

Oh.... wait....... :grinning:

CinorjerKundo