Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bodhisattvas???

I am rather confused by the idea of a 'bodisattva'. The intension is, I believe, to strive for the liberation of all sentient beings. This seems to imply that the number of sentient beings is finite. I conclude from this that the universe, as we understand it, is not infinite? Does 'all' perhaps refer to some event much more localised in time and space?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2014

It's infinite actually. Even on the tip of a hair there are infinite numbers of Buddhas surrounded by their Bodhisattvas. Sorry I have heard some talks where this view came up but I never internalized it so I cannot explain it.

This does not talk about Budhisattvas but it does mention what a Buddhist student might mean by there being infinite Buddhas in each pore of the skin.

Unfortunately I don't recollect the minute she talks about it.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    It's hard to say for sure of course but if all sentient beings alive today were awakened then perhaps it would follow that our children would be able to grow up to be awake too.

It seems like an impossible quest but that may be the point and/or part of the illusion.
  • I've always thought the number of sentient beings as infinite, innumerable.

• @Nerima said:
    I've always thought the number of sentient beings as infinite, innumerable.

Hi Nerima, so do I. Does that mean that a bodhisattva must remain so, equally infinitely?

• Hmmmmm. I think I read somewhere that when a person takes his/her Bodhisattva vows, they promise to help ALL sentient beings, no matter what.

Kundo
  • @rocala said:
    I am rather confused by the idea of a 'bodisattva'. The intension is, I believe, to strive for the liberation of all sentient beings. This seems to imply that the number of sentient beings is finite. I conclude from this that the universe, as we understand it, is not >infinite? Does 'all' perhaps refer to some event much more localised in time and space?

Wow. This is an amazing point. Nobody's every thought of this before, here; not in the last few years, anyway. Definitely a head-scratcher.It would take a lot of bodhisattvas working together to liberate all the sentient beings that are alive in this moment, AND the ones born the next moment, and the next.

We don't have a head-scratch emoticon anymore....

Sunspot5254
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    @‌Cinorjer

well said.

"even heavy weights are made light through pratice"
    BunksVastmindBuddhadragonsilver
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Cinorjer said:
    And there's new ones created every minute of every day and will be till the end of time.

Really? I thought they were already here just in different form?

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@rocala said:
    I am rather confused by the idea of a 'bodisattva'. The intension is, I believe, to strive for the liberation of all sentient beings. This seems to imply that the number of sentient beings is finite. I conclude from this that the universe, as we understand it, is not infinite? Does 'all' perhaps refer to some event much more localised in time and space?

You have to think pragmatic here.
    If you decide to take the Boddhisattva vow, and lead a boddhisattvic way of life, the vow would imply to do as much good as you can, to all the people that happen to cross your path.
    The idea of infinite here, to me, would imply that we don't make distinctions between the people we do good for and not.
    We simply do good, and vow to help liberate, every sentient being that comes our way.

CinorjerJeffrey
  • I think someone (maybe not the author) shared the starfish story at a college graduation speech.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited December 2014

@Jeffrey said:
    I think someone (maybe not the author) shared the starfish story at a college graduation speech.

I tried various ways of googling just now and found several variations scattered around, none exactly like the one I ended up with. I like my version better :)

• I liked yours @Cinorjer‌