Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

having hatred towards evil people

13»

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    I don't think any of really knows what we'd do in such extreme circumstances. That's the whole problem with these hypothetical scenarios.

Indeed.

vinlyn
  • @federica said:
    Hey, I'm sorry - you're both right, but don't shoot the piano player, it was WanMin's fault!! :D

Curiosity killed the cat I guess, I take the karmic responsibility.

Nerimalobster
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

Anything that annoys you is teaching you patience. Anyone who abandons you is teaching you how to stand up on your own two feet. Anything that angers you is teaching you forgiveness and compassion. Anything that has power over you is teaching you how to take your power back. Anything you hate is teaching you unconditional love. Anything you fear is teaching you courage to overcome your fear. Anything you can't control is teaching you how to let go.

~ Jackson Kiddard.

lobsterJeffreymmoAllbuddhaBound
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm sick n tired of being such a know-it-all! :p

BuddhadragonWanMinAllbuddhaBound
  • I thought it was interesting how Alan Watts talked about feeling "hate"... he tries to explain that there are no wrong feelings, just wrong actions.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Jason said: "...But people often forget that compassion is just one of many mental states we're encouraged to develop, each having its own use. If there's nothing we can do, if things are beyond our control or capacity to endure, for example, then we need to also develop equanimity—the even-mindedness that remains neutral in the face of experiences that we simply can't change."

>

There was so much good stuff in your post, but this stood out to me as the heart of it. (*)

• Isn't aversion to suffering and problems somewhat the first step to freedom? We seek freedom so we practice dharma?

It's constantly repeated that we all wish to be free from suffering and to have happiness in dharma teachings.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2015

@Vanilli said:
    Isn't aversion to suffering and problems somewhat the first step to freedom?

(Lobster puts on thinking cap)

Yes.

It is VERY difficult to have compassion for the KKK, child molesters or Hinayana Buddhists :p - we have to try as suggested, to know the racist, the misogynist and the dharma psychopath are suffering.

Not easy, indeed not required or advisable to associate with those we should have aversion towards.

Apart from the evil Hinayanists (probably a good place to start), hanging out with sangha and practitioners is preferable.

Simples.

NB: No Theravadins were harmed in the production of this post.

mmopegembaraKundo
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

samvega & pasadadosa