Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Coincidence?

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
So my neighbours over the road are having a party this afternoon and have the stereo cranked up.

I am ok with this but after a few hours it gets a bit annoying.

So I decide to leave the kids in front of the TV and go sit in front of my shrine and listen to a nice lam rim chanting prayer to calm the mind.

Sure enough ten minutes later when I come out the music has been turned down! Coincidence?
Vanilli

Comments

• Yes and it's the solstice too!

BunksRowan1980lobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

The more I tread down this path, the less I believe in coincidences.
    Things like this are happening to me all the time.
    Whatever that is (sinchronicity?) I'm not sure you can call it coincidence :o

silverKundo
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited December 2014

The more I study statistics, the less I think coincidences are anything other than probabilities in a system where there are many things going on. :) It could be a subconscious thing too... becoming aware on a subconscious level of the sound lessening, and that leading to the conscious feeling/decision that it's time to head back. We're not often privy to our subconscious machinations and how they sway our actions, and "intuition" is born there too. Knowing without knowing why.

BunksRowan1980Buddhadragon
  • Don't know.

If it happens a lot, then that is OK. If it does not happen . . . that is OK.

With regular practice it can get very noticible sometimes . . . and that is OK too.

no Mr Cushion . . . you are not a magician . . . OK magic happens all the time . . . granted . . .

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Bunks said:
    So my neighbours over the road are having a party this afternoon and have the stereo cranked up.

I am ok with this but after a few hours it gets a bit annoying.

So I decide to leave the kids in front of the TV and go sit in front of my shrine and listen to a nice lam rim chanting prayer to calm the mind.

Sure enough ten minutes later when I come out the music has been turned down! Coincidence?

Yep, pure coincidence.

• Nope

CAuse and effect

Dependent Origination La

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited December 2014

It's not coincidence. It's somekind of conspiracy. B)

Recently I feel like I’m Jim Carrey in “The Truman Show”.
    (He sees for instance how a movie light falls on the beach and so the next newspaper mentions, and explains, this mysterious event. It’s an accident but it gets included in the script of the show. The director improvised to keep the illusion alive for the main character that he is living in a real world.)

I once in my life changed a Wikipedia page. It was the English page about “Black Pete” two years ago. It mentioned that there was a debate about Black Pete because some people thought the character was racist.
    I removed that remark because I live in this country and know what debates we have and I never ever heard anyone at all “debating” the subject of Black Pete. I thought the idea of such a debate was utterly absurd.

Boy was I wrong.
    The months and years that followed the subject split the nation in two and we were close to seeing riots over it this year.
    All of that because I had the nerve to change one sentence in my entire life in one stupid Wikipedia page!!!
    ( http://www.theweek.co.uk/world-news/61376/black-pete-harmless-tradition-or-racist-throwback )

Last Friday evening I bought something in the shopping centre of our town. When I got home I said to my wife that it was too quiet out there. “These shop-owners are losing money on Friday nights”.
    Saturday morning on the front-page of the local newspaper: “Opening hours on Friday-night to be reconsidered”.
    That’s my falling movie light. This can’t be coincidence.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

http://www.radiolab.org/story/91684-stochasticity/

This is a great podcast on randomness. It may help shed some light on the situation.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@zenff said:
    It's not coincidence. It's somekind of conspiracy. B)

I once in my life changed a Wikipedia page. It was the English page about “Black Pete” two years ago. It mentioned that there was a debate about Black Pete because some people thought the character was racist.
    I removed that remark because I live in this country and know what debates we have and I never ever heard anyone at all “debating” the subject of Black Pete. I thought the idea of such a debate was utterly absurd.

Thanks @zenff.

Strangely enough I had never heard of Black Pete until about two weeks ago when I came across a chocolate version of him at my local chocolataire.

These things normally happen in three's so no doubt I'll come across him again at some time soon.

• @Jeffrey said:
    Yes and it's the solstice too!

Oooh, does that mean the days will start getting longer now? YESSSSS!

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I'm awaiting being hired by two part time jobs, so money is tight AND I have a prescription to pay cash for (no insurance). I went to pick it up tonight, and was feeling anxious about spending the money. The pharmacist asked if I have insurance, and I said I was in between jobs, so I'd be paying cash. She did . . . something, and applied some kind of credit I earned from shopping there for the last decade and made my out of pocket 11 dollars.

Which made me think of your thread @Bunks :) Yep, nothin' but coincidence, but dang, what a timely one!

While there I ran over to the baby section to see if I could find a breast pump piece for my DIL. I noticed me feet felt so FLAT, I was walking like a duck. Looked down to realize I'd never removed my filthy, smelly, slip ons I put on to tend to the flock. The crust of brown haloing each foot was definitely poop. I was glad to get home :) Oh, and grateful too.

BunksToraldrisBuddhadragon
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Well, @Hamsaka, that calls for an 'Insightful' AND a LOL!

• Remember there is a difference between epiphany and apophany
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

We are pattern seeking creatures. When the universal pattern or Tao or being 'in the zone' emerges we think it is significant . . . that is one of our patterns of behaviour . . . :)

BunksBuddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@lobster said:
    We are pattern seeking creatures. When the universal pattern or Tao or being 'in the zone' emerges we think it is significant . . . that is one of our patterns of behaviour . . .

The Chinese have found alternating but recurring patterns in Change and encapsulated them in the Yi Ching.

The Yi Ching proposes ways to interact in a changing world by tuning in to the energy of the moment and adapting ourselves accordingly.

The theosophists uphold that the Occultist "conquers the Universe and therefore himself by detailed knowledge of its laws and processes."

Bunks