Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

TED Talk: Matthieu Ricard says altruism is the solution

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited January 2015 in Arts & Writings

What is altruism? Put simply, it's the wish that other people may be happy. And, says Matthieu Ricard, a happiness researcher and a Buddhist monk, altruism is also a great lens for making decisions, both for the short and long term, in work and in life.

http://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ricard_how_to_let_altruism_be_your_guide

personmisecmisc1

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

He said something that struck me...."You can get burned out with empathy"

So true......I know alot of people that haven't got past the empathy....to the loving kindess or action. They get burned out/feel helpless....

lobsterHamsaka
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

In case benefitting others isn't motivation enough in itself there are good reasons for being altruistic from a selfish perspective.

Vastmindmmomisecmisc1
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited January 2015
    That's the drawback to empathy for sure. It's all about feeling for others. We don't say we need to have empathy for our self first because we already feel our feelings.

It picks us up high when everybody is happy and it rams our teeth in the rocks when everybody is in pain.

I've never heard of compassion burn-out though so the compassion can care for that which may be overloaded by empathy.

Being a caregiver myself, I find it helps to do some Metta style meditation for me aimed at the suffering I would ease for others and the suffering I cannot ease.

Does that make sense?
    VastmindHamsaka
  • I think equanimity helps. So you can just be calm in the face of surrounding of others suffering. I have never been a nurse but I have lived with a partner who was an alcoholic and was quite miserable. I found that I could be cheery and share that calm with her and just let her be miserable. (not my current girlfriend, incidentally)

Rowan1980David
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    @Hamsaka‌ I know the feeling. I bowed out of being a volunteer advocate at the local rape crisis center after six years because of the feeling of being burned out. In retrospect, I think cultivating equanimity would've helped. I'm still slowly recovering from it.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

After 16 years (and 2 years out from the madness) - I've decided it might be time to go back to the world of medicine- meditation on the material and spiritual becomes a bit stagnant after a while!, after all what is it all about?

...\lol/...

Vacillating - but, with a completely different perspective, I might just go for it - not that I will gain any financial benefit, it's about the role I might play in others' lives.

lobsterVastmindsilver
  • Empathy turned up too high can lay you out flat so it makes sense that it's not an end in itself. It has to 'go' somewhere. I've never thought of that before.

One of the marvellous dharma teachings is empathy, care, compassion for ourselves. We must be aware of our real capacity for giving and how it may be leading to as you say burn out. If this happens we have not been empathetic and caring to the person we know best and have the primary duty to.

Vastmind
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited January 2015

@Rowan1980 said:
    Hamsaka‌ I know the feeling. I bowed out of being a volunteer advocate at the local rape crisis center after six years because of the feeling of being burned out. In retrospect, I think cultivating equanimity would've helped. I'm still slowly recovering from it.

Until we are Buddhas, I don't see how a person could just endlessly 'do' this kind of work. Until we are Buddhas there does seem to be a limit on the ole energy stores.

I had to accept this was true for me. Like, ram it into my head like a defense lawyer's final statement to the jury :D . This, after the prosecution concluded "But all those other nurses are still singing Zippedy Doo Dah after twenty years working with cancer patients!! I should be LIKE THEM!!"

Sorry. I ain't the one. And I mean that, I really AM sorry.

Rowan1980lobster
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2015

In my contemplation of compassion and empathy, I have to say my own mind goes in circles. Taking the broad view, the ability to shut down our emotion called empathy is a survival trait. Doctors and Nurses and others who work with suffering patients learn to shut down the emotional reflex to some extent, or you'd be driven crazy by the end of a bad shift. You focus on the job in front of you and that suffering person becomes a list of injuries or tasks. You don't really see the person anymore. It used to be worse. Before modern techniques the person would be awake and screaming while you cut off an injured leg.

But it has a down side. We can selectively shut down our empathy. A torturer uses the same inborn ability to directly cause suffering for the sake of causing suffering. Those people in the CIA who tortured the mostly innocent men after 9-11? They still loved their family and would have been horrified if they saw someone drowning a bag of kittens. They weren't monsters. They were all too human. But that person could go to work and drown "prisoner xyz" because he no longer saw the prisoner as a suffering being.

What I can't figure out is, how much of this is a choice and how much automatic due to something we're being forced to do.

silver
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@Cinorjer said:
    But it has a down side. We can selectively shut down our empathy. A torturer uses the same inborn ability to directly cause suffering for the sake of causing suffering. Those people in the CIA who tortured the mostly innocent men after 9-11? They still loved their family and would have been horrified if they saw someone drowning a bag of kittens. They weren't monsters. They were all too human. But that person could go to work and drown "prisoner xyz" because he no longer saw the prisoner as a suffering being.

I both agree and disagree with your statements. To the torturers, they're not causing suffering for the sake of causing suffering. They're trying to wrest information from those they regard as inhuman monsters who would gladly kill their families and countrymen. They've successfully dehumanized and demonized the object of their "interrogation" so they feel justified in tormenting them. They are indeed, all too human.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Cinorjer said:
    In my contemplation of compassion and empathy, I have to say my own mind goes in circles. Taking the broad view, the ability to shut down our emotion called empathy is a survival trait. Doctors and Nurses and others who work with suffering patients learn to shut down the emotional reflex to some extent, or you'd be driven crazy by the end of a bad shift. You focus on the job in front of you and that suffering person becomes a list of injuries or tasks. You don't really see the person anymore. It used to be worse. Before modern techniques the person would be awake and screaming while you cut off an injured leg.

>

Well said...I think my mind is right behind yours in that respect.

I can't help but think about the surgeon who did my triple bypass June 30th of last year, and how a few of the hospital staff mentioned that he was 'arrogant' -- I figured being one of the best and being considered arrogant may have a connection -- can one be 'the best' anything and not be looked upon as arrogant?

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2015

@nakazcid said:I both agree and disagree with your statements. To the torturers, they're not causing suffering for the sake of causing suffering. They're trying to wrest information from those they regard as inhuman monsters who would gladly kill their families and countrymen. They've successfully dehumanized and demonized the object of their "interrogation" so they feel justified in tormenting them. They are indeed, all too human.

Yes, and that's the problem I see with calls to "altruism" as the solution. People have throughout history done terrible things in the name of the greater good. It's not like the Golden Rule isn't supposed to be central to most world religions, for all the good it does.

The torturers thought they were the good guys, the ones who didn't refuse right off the bat because being the good guy means you don't torture even if they "deserve it". The Taliban think they're the good guys. We're all Good Guys.

I grew up with the Superman Ideal. It broke my heart to see the American Way is just as hypocritical as any other. We're the good guys. There's a line we're not supposed to cross, and situation be damned. We don't torture and we don't get some cowardly government lawyer to redefine torture and then say it's OK. But that's just me.

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

I think if everyone worked on compassion they would end up as better human beings, solving many of the world's injustices. The problem is convincing people that practicing compassion towards others will actually make you happier. Most folks see some form of materialism as the path to greater happiness.

Cinorjerperson