Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

American justice rant

2»

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@person said:
    Most of what I thought of saying has been said, I just want to throw my hat in the ring on the side of the legal system in this case.

The girl not only thought about, talked about, and made plans to aid terrorists actively engaged in military activity she took definitive actions to make it happen.

I can see the danger of the slippery slope here heading into thought crimes and '1984' but, in this case, I think the law got it right.

>

Yeah, for once. It's hard to know, and deal with some of the incredible missteps before 9/11 - it really is. Conversely, it's easy to criticize 'authority' when there are so many people in a position to speak up but are discouraged by that same authority that says 'we'll handle it.'
    :#

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I realise I did not get the whole thread and am happy to admit that - some points I still don't get btw, so @just_so‌ I see your point, but I stand by my point that you have made a judgement based on your personal belief and understanding - both fallible; 4 years?

Really? lets look at other beliefs and misunderstandings! 10000 words to justify with references please. Then compare and contrast with that poor saudi Badawi blogger 12 years and 1000 lashes...

or this for being a woman and wearing trousers:

Everything is relative...

• This is a woman who attempted to materially support and actively join in a military capacity an organization which has routinely committed genocide, enslaved women as sex slaves, tortured children and girls to death, and committee more atrocities than any terrorist organization perhaps in history.

It's a shame she is not being locked up longer.
  • Count me biased as I have friends who are in the Kurdish defense forces, but she was aiding an organization that would make the Nazis blush.

I am GOB-smacked by that STATEMENT

You are a demon!

Let me reveal your level of ignorance: you do not understand buddhism at all and have no level of compassion other than self-gratification. I would never like to meet you, as you are compulsive, on a spiritual level - non-forgiving, etc. etc.

But As I am a compassionate being: Come and have a cup of tea mate! If you have a sense of humour (sadly I doubt this) perhaps we could have a cup of tea whilst I whip my wife for being a woman! Physical violence is not justified unless you have a taste for it?

I am happy to taste flavoured teas...

but no tease

...\lol/...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ok, that's enough. People have a right to opinion, but inflammatory comment is unacceptable.

@Frozen_Paratrooper‌, kindly remember where you are. Sometimes, certain opinions are best left unsaid or better suited to "neutral" websites.

@anataman - don't throw all your toys out of your pram, ok? Calm down.
    If you don't like a post, flag it, don't get into a scrap.

ok

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Personally, I prefer the approach Denmark is taking. I think in these kinds of cases, it's better than simply locking them up, which could further radicalize teens and young adults and will do nothing to help reintegrate them into society.

lobsterJeongjwa
  • @Frozen_Paratrooper said:
    Count me biased as I have friends who are in the Kurdish defense forces, but she was aiding an organization that would make the Nazis blush.

<3

Well clearly you are not a demon but are in the military and therefore must justify your side. Being independent of bias is difficult when actively involved in a side. You are still teaching people to kill and practicing dharma?

We all start from where we are. As a tree hugging cructacean I know we have Buddhists in the hell realms - picnics by karmic arrangement . . . ;)

Yours is a hard job. :'(

silver
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@lobster said:
    Well clearly you are not a demon but are in the military and therefore must justify your side. Being independent of bias is difficult when actively involved in a side.

IMHO, this is a wee bit condescending.

We all have "a side". For example, we tend to associate as a Democrat or a Republican or (eek) a Tea Partier. Or we see ourselves as a moderate or a liberal or a conservative. Or an internationalist or an isolationist. Or a Buddhist side or a Christian side. Or...well, it goes on and on. Sometimes "our side" is whatever our general mindset is. In fact, to not have "a side" is to lack foundation.

Jeffreylobster
  • Mandalas. A center principle and the exchange with the outside world arranging and manifestations.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@vinlyn said:IMHO, this is a wee bit condescending.

>
    We all have "a side". For example, we tend to associate as a Democrat or a Republican or (eek) a Tea Partier. Or we see ourselves as a moderate or a liberal or a conservative. Or an internationalist or an isolationist. Or a Buddhist side or a Christian side. Or...well, it goes on and on. Sometimes "our side" is whatever our general mindset is. In fact, to not have "a side" is to lack foundation.
    >

I think being in the military is quite a bit different than the types of 'sides' you're mentioning here and I think it makes a big difference and explains his response quite tidily.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Silver, it just means that he's in the middle of something while many of us are just standing on the sidelines. It doesn't necessarily mean that his viewpoint is any more or any less accurate.

I look at some of our posters here -- including myself -- and see how predictable we are in our responses to various threads. For example, there's one poster here who writes very well and has a higher than average grounding is his or her logic than most. He or she is also virtually totally predictable. We all have what I am calling "sides". And -- as Westerners -- we pretty much have the freedom of our thoughts and speech.

lobster

There was a time - a long time ago where I would've been more polarized on the issues and I certainly understand what you just said, about " It doesn't necessarily mean that his viewpoint is any more or any less accurate," @vinlyn. It just struck me as talking about apples n oranges - fwiw.

Yeah, we can be predictable for sure, but one of the things that drew me to study the Buddha and Buddhism is all the room in the universe is there for us in which to 'change' and see everything and yet each stands wherever they are and in a very logical sense, wherever we are and how we see things is 'allowed'.

• To me, the compassionate solution is always to try and help rather than punish. In the US our solution for most crimes is incarceration, regardless of mental illness. Only if someone is deemed mentally incompetent do they receive any mental health care, and even then it is hardly any better than prison. All that incarceration does is exacerbate mental health issues and increase animosity towards the State.

If this woman didn't hate the USA before, she does now. Therapy might have helped, 4 years in jail will serve to "radicalize" her further.

• IMHO, this is a wee bit condescending

:)

Yes. No doubt. As far as I am aware @Frozen_Paratrooper‌ is on active military service as an instructor.

If engaged in effective warfare, even if practicing equanimity, I assume one must be biased against the enemy. I may be wrong as I have no military experience to base my bias on.

That may be a wee bit more condescension. So be it. :'(