Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Which of the 5 precepts do you have the hardest time with keeping?

2»

Comments

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@lobster said:
    Always be aware that people - trolls is only a word a Hinayanist would use - are coming with different baggage, just as we can be kind in preparation for the hidden wonders of our own dark corners ...

Trolls are not wonderful when they want to intellectualize their own fallacies and mock other people's comments.
    Hinayanists? Theravadins? All of us are Buddhist, who cares =)

vinlynlobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@DhammaDragon -- I imagine I get called a lot of things behind my back, but I always kind of hoped "Buddhist" wasn't one of them. :)

lobsterBuddhadragonShoshin
  • geniegenie Explorer

@DhammaDragon said:
    Are you a troll, @genie? Your comments in general are making me think that you not only are not a Buddhist, but also that you have little idea of what Buddhism actually is.

I decline your gifts. =)

lobsterWalkerDavid
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@genie said:
    I decline your gifts. =)

LOL
    Buddhist! :p

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@genie said:
    I decline your gifts. =)

Good, looks like you have learned something, after all...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:The Mahayana encompasses and predates the Theravada and they should be reminded, whether that causes offence or not.

You can probably get treatment for Hinaphobia from the National 'Elf Service, like aversion therapy where you get increasing exposure to Hinayanists to reduce your sensitivity. ;)

lobster
  • geniegenie Explorer

@genkaku said:
    DhammaDragon -- I imagine I get called a lot of things behind my back, but I always kind of hoped "Buddhist" wasn't one of them. :)

Look on the bright side. They could've called you Christian.

lobsterWalker
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran

@genie said:
    Only the first two ................... and the last three.
    Seriously, it's not important to keep precepts. Truth sets us free, not man-made morality.

X + not-X + cliche = zzz

• DaozenDaozen Veteran

Lobster is living in the past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinayana

We must not confuse Hīnayāna with Theravāda because the terms are not synonymous. Theravāda Buddhism went to Sri Lanka during the 3rd Century BC when there was no Mahāyāna at all. Hīnayāna sects developed in India and had an existence independent from the form of Buddhism existing in Sri Lanka. Today there is no Hīnayāna sect in existence anywhere in the world. Therefore, in 1950 the World Fellowship of Buddhists inaugurated in Colombo unanimously decided that the term Hīnayana should be dropped when referring to Buddhism existing today in Sri Lanka, Thailand, Burma, Cambodia, Laos, etc. This is the brief history of Theravāda, Mahayāna and Hīnayāna.

lobsterZenshin