Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kites and mindfulness

Any kite flyers on here? I just bought a couple of kites to take on vacation with us at the end of the month. The last kite I flew was a dime store paper kite maybe 45 years ago.

I'm thinking this could be a good low tech, inexpensive hobby that encourages mindfulness.

I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

lobsterVastmindanatamanShoshin

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

Love it.

What a great idea. <3 I saw a kite today or is it a kestrel? ;) It would hover and then plunge dive. Here it is hovering.

mmm ... look forward to your experiences. How wonderful.

KennethEarthninja
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Flying kites is so classy, I would have so much fun that I would forget to be mindful.

lobsterdantepw
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

I sure remember those dime store kites. Lots and lots of fun. Though sometimes we sure expended a lot of effort for what seemed a rather short flight.

• KennethKenneth Veteran
    edited June 2015

@grackle, yes, they didn't come with tails so you had to improvise. A lot of guess work getting it right. I remember tearing strips off an old bed sheet.

OK, here is where Spiny or lobster or somebody is supposed to jump in with "You had bed sheets? Sheer Luxury!" :D

VastmindWalker
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

They take Kite-flying very seriously in Japan...

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I am a horrible kite flyer! We used to put them on fishing rods so they were easy to let out and reel in, lol. But we have a billion trees here, very hard to find any large span of openness to fly kites in without quickly losing it.

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

We did that too @karasti . =) You can actually buy reels custom-built for kite-flying. Haven't flown a kite in ages. Maybe I'll surprise Mrs. Walker with a kite day this summer!

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Not sure how much sense it makes without the context of the movie in which it appeared ("Saving Mr. Banks") but "Let's Go Fly a Kite" is pretty jolly.

lobsterKenneth
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well, The scene from the actual movie, Mary Poppins, is equally fun....

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Both films are great fun. One is about how the author https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._L._Travers came to allow her book retoned into an animation/real action hybrid musical by Dizzeeknees

'We luvs ya Mary Poppins' (said in my best van dyke cockerknees)

Kenneth
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:> Well, The scene from the actual movie, Mary Poppins, is equally fun....

I love that film, especially the fake cockney chimney sweeps. ;)

federica
  • ZeroZero Veteran

@Kenneth said:
    Any kite flyers on here?

I'm thinking this could be a good low tech, inexpensive hobby that encourages mindfulness.

I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

Yes - now and again - I still buy single string kites and take them out - available at all good pound shops near you!
    The double string ones are better as they can be controlled more easily... and lots of fun swooping about at under a fiver.
    There is also potential for high tech and expensive when considering serious kites used for kite surfing and such - they can be used to jump over stuff... which was much more feasible when I was younger and the joints didn't mind being pulled and slammed about.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Yes! Mary Poppins clips/references!!! A little cheer up I needed. :awesome:

• breaks out in song * "Let's go fly a kite"
    silver
  • KennethKenneth Veteran

@Zero, yes, I'm amazed by the variety of kites that are available. I bought a couple of "beginners" kites. One of them will handle strong winds. I'll be flying them at 5000' (1524m) above sea level and years of visiting there tell me the winds can be strong, but usually pretty steady. With a kitesurfing kite I might catch up with Mary Poppins and her umbrella or perhaps even the Flying Nun B)

@SpinyNorman said:
    I love that film, especially the fake cockney chimney sweeps. ;)

Ah yes...The Dick van Dyke school of Cockney accents has a lot to answer for....

Click on "Download waveform: Goodbye-Mary-Poppins-Dont-stay-away-too-long.mp3" and be enthralled by how a Cockney really does (NOT!!)sound..... :lol:

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2015

Hahaha...you guys can never resist making fun of his attempt...hahaha...I'll be over chalk drawing on the sidewalk...nevermind you guys :D * breaks out in another song *

Oh no you didn't!! I still watch the flying Nun on antenna tv every week-end! Yes, the whole idea is cheesy as hell, but I love the Sisters at the Convent San Tanco!

• KennethKenneth Veteran

@Vastmind said:

Oh no you didn't!! I still watch the flying Nun on antenna tv every week-end! Yes, the whole idea is cheesy as hell, but I love the Sisters at the Convent San Tanco!

Cheesy, yes, but redeemed by the awesomely cute 20 year old Sally Field. Now, "My Mother the Car", THAT was cheesy..