Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Flesh, Bone and Blood

Flesh, Bone and Blood

Flesh, Bone and Blood are composed of Living cells.

Living cells are composed of Carbon based and Inorganic molecules

Carbon based and Inorganic molecules are composed of Atoms.           

Atoms are composed of Protons, Neutrons and Electrons.               

Protons and Neutrons are composed of Quarks, Leptons and Bosons. Electrons are elementary.

Even the most fundamental particles that we are aware of may simply be composite particles which continue beyond the point we will ever be able to observe.

We are That, from which all fundamental particles have arisen. We are not the forms which have arisen as a result of the universal principle. We are the Totality. Forms are shadows which appear within us.

How can apparently organized particles  floating in a vast ocean of particles be an individual person, living an individual life? If you could observe this knowledge prior to your mind's concepts, you would feel the ridiculousness of it all.

Particles desiring? Particles living? Particles wanting happiness? Particles wanting to be free?

Absurd!

The only thing that human beings do that may be considered natural is eat, sleep, drink, piss and shit. But even that they wrap up in concepts (scented toilet paper, designer and specialty foods, clothes designated for sleep, etc). Every aspect of a human beings life is wrapped in fantasy.

Let us suppose that the one who knows, consciousness did not arise from any elementary particles but was itself elementary. Even in this case it would have still have had to arise from some fundamental base source. And that source from which it arose is the real you. Because even consciousness, in this body, is not permanent.

We only imagine ourselves to be living beings, living a life. There doesn't seem to be much individuality in this universe. Everything seems to be composed of increasingly smaller aspects. So what is this notion we have in our minds regarding individuality? The very nature of individual form is an illusion. Form also does not exist. What we refer to as form is the human brain interpreting. Pasting images onto groups of atoms. A fantasy projected into our mind's eye.  The fact that the energy contained within atoms is such that two solid objects cannot pass through each other, creating the illusion of a solid form only intensifies the illusion.

If there are no organisms to perceive, there is no thing to perceive. There are no forms and these apparent forms have no appearance. A visual appearance is simply light (photons) interacting with groups of atoms, which are interpreted by the brain as having some visual characteristics. In the absence of light, nothing can be seen. Is it that light illuminates an object's appearance? Or is it that, the end result of photons (light) interacting with groups of atoms is being interpreted by the brain as images in one's mind. Creating characteristics onto that which is without characteristic? There is really no form out there. Only our brain creating images, which has no reality beyond our imagination.

In either case one can never be certain because we can only know through our own senses. Which is only an interpretation.

We can never know this, so-called existence beyond this body's senses and whatever is sensed is only an interpretation. Imagine that there exists technology, which could be connected to the brain of any living organism. This connection would allow us to witness life through the eyes of another species.

What would happen?

Let's imagine it's an insect with compound eyes (10- 20,000 corneal lens per eye). So we connect this tech to the insect. The tech receives signals from the insect's brain, which it has interpreted from the eye. The tech then interprets this interpretation and displays it via monitor. Humans see this interpretation, of an interpretation and our brain interprets that. It would be an endless stream of interpretations.

Whatever information is projected from this body's sense apparatus will always be just an interpretation and not the real. Which may simply be no thing at all. Only the brain of one species groping at what is, interpreting based on the limited information, from its limited senses and limited brain. 

Where's my individuality?

I can honestly tell you that there is no person here. There is no doer. When I see my reflection in a mirror, what I see doesn't even register as an individual living a separate life. I only see, feel, smell, taste and hear the brain's interpretation of those fundamental building blocks functioning according to their inherent nature.

The average so-called person weighing 154 lbs  contains about  700,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms, which is interpreted to be One Whole Solid Figure by the brain. This is what we mistakenly call my body and form. So where is the individual in that?  It would be more accurate and believable to say, I am 7 octillion atoms, instead of, I am an individual.

What a big, steaming, smelly load of horse crap that is! An individual?...pffft!
Pure nonsense!

ShoshinEarthninjaupekkapegembara

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

We can work all that out, and more.
    But we STILL can't make going to the supermarket 'an enjoyable grocery shopping experience'....

• @federica

The truth is that there may come a time on your journey when good and bad experiences won't matter to you. They won't matter because you will no longer perceive them as good or bad. You won't have feelings about anything that happens or anything you do. Whatever you had in you that made the experience enjoyable will be no more. And whatever made It hated will be gone also.

People may not want to hear this but It's true. There is no more love in you. There is complete dispassion for everything. Even your own life. If you learned that tomorrow you will die, it will not concern you in the least. You aren't happy or sad. You just are.

Don't misunderstand. We all have duties and some have family obligations. Being completely dispassionate doesn't mean we abandon our family. But I'm gonna be very real with you. All those feelings are gone. You perform whatever duties; And take care of family. But whatever emotional ties there were will also fall away.

As I've said, there may be some who will refuse to accept this. Whether it's accepted or not. This is how it Is.

It doesn't mean if you saw an old lady laying on the ground you wouldn't assist her. There is something inherent in our beingness which causes us to naturally show compassion. But you see to an observer it may seem like a very kind compassionate act. But from your point of view it's nothing at all. You are just responding to the situation. But there's no feelings or attachment. But even if some feeling comes up in the body it means nothing. It's seen and let go. Like a light breeze touching your skin. It barely catches your attention. There could be tears flowing from your eyes and it won't even touch the one who knows in the slightest. It's like watching someone else crying. It's known but does not alter your emotional state. There is always neutrality about whatever happens.

As I've said there may be many who may dispute what I've said. That's fine. But I tell you the truth. This is how it is. But of course We continue to play the game called 'life'. Playing the role of father, mother, brother, sister and friend. Showing love and affection even though there is nothing there. For the sake of our loved ones.

pegembara
  • @federica said:
    We can work all that out, and more.
    But we STILL can't make going to the supermarket 'an enjoyable grocery shopping experience'....

I enjoy it. Must be doing it wrong? o:)

... meanwhile ...

That's fine.

It is?

But I tell you the truth.

You do?

This is how it is.

Is it?

You give us permission to find your opinions limited. Yours are 'the truth'.

Not in my experience. However I don't trust my 'truths' or experiences as anything but temporary positions ...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Oh jeesh, @Tony_A_Simien , I was kidding....

You really need to lighten up, we don't do all this heavy shit.
    Not on a Sunday.
    I'm in my fleece-lined knitted slippers, PJ's and sippin' a coffee before I need to get to work... the hell I care about all this brain-food today....

VastmindBuddhadragon
  • @lobster

Not in my experience.

Maybe not this very moment. But if you continue it may be.

Whether it's in your experience or not. That doesn't change its truthfulness. What is...is. Whether you believe, don't believe, experience or not.

• @federica

Okay...okay...no more heavy shit for now. Going back to watch Doctor Who Classics.

silver
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I can still remember watching the very first episode of Doctor Who on a little black and white TV, it was very scary! ;)

silver
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited September 2015

I try to encourage those who insist on nailing Jell-O to a wall. It just seems to be what they need to do in order to be 'wise.'

I encourage them and then I do my damnedest to be someplace else while they do it.

Go @Tony_A_Simien !

lobsterVastmindsilver
  • A textbook has chapters.
    Chapters have sections.
    Sections have paragraphs
    Paragraphs have sentences
    Sentences have words
    Words have letters.

That's right! The whole thing is nothing but letters! Well, and some numbers, punctuation, and van der Wals. So now that we have an elementary unit, does that mean that the book doesn't exist?

Maybe the book does exist. Maybe you can't perceive it. Maybe if you would consider levels of organization above elementary units you could learn to perceive it. It is possible to learn this. Even some of us here on New Buddhist can do it. And we can help you too.

Welcome.

Vastmind

@Tony_A_Simien said: There is really no form out there. Only our brain creating images, which has no reality beyond our imagination.

And yet if I drop a brick on my foot it will hurt. ;)

• It appears it's all relative..
    Not ready for heavy lifting just yet.
    Long live Dr Who!
    Bach to my coffee. <3

silver
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Beautiful! Seems Everyone woke up in a awesome mood.
    Long live the individual!

ShoshinBuddhadragon
    edited September 2015

Well, yes... I woke up in an awesome mood....! :D

@SpinyNorman said:
    I can still remember watching the very first episode of Doctor Who on a little black and white TV, it was very scary! ;)

My younger brother was so scared of the cybermen, he used to hide behind the sofa.... even now, they're his least favourite villain....and he's 51!! :D

silverSteve_B
  • KarikoPuppiesKarikoPuppies Veteran
    edited September 2015

I think what we believe and have faith in is almost beyond of our control. I believe that we are destine to believe or not believe certain belief. so its almost impossible to change your system unless it is meant to be, not to mention what other people believe. (sorry for using so many word 'believe')

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2015

@Tony_A_Simien
    What a big, steaming, smelly load of horse crap that is! An individual?...pffft!
    Pure nonsense!**.

Is there an essential essence to an individual beyond karmic delusion.......No.
    Does that karmic delusion have an effect.....definitely.

Did a big, smelly load of horse crap start this thread????

Buddhadragon
  • I appreciate that some people want to try to express their realization or understanding of ultimate truth. Sometimes it jibes with my own realization. Sometimes there is some ego baggage on either side, mine or the writer's that gets in the way.
    Generally, ultimate truth or whatever you call it, is realized. Putting it into words reduces it to the mundane
    The world is awash in material written to describe people's views or realizations. Some of it is really great. Worth owning and reading again and again for inspiration.

silverlobsterEarthninjaupekka

This seems like an appropriate place to suggest,

People! People! People! Let's simmer down. Non need for inspiration or a violin section!

Relax!

You are God. That is all you need to know.

Now go out and play in the street! :)

lobsterEarthninjasilver
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited September 2015

@silver said:
    Beautiful! Seems Everyone woke up in a awesome mood.
    Long live the individual!

That's Buddhism for ya @silver ...Always open and never judgemental :wink:

silverlobster
  • @genkaku said:
    This seems like an appropriate place to suggest,

People! People! People! Let's simmer down. Non need for inspiration or a violin section!

Relax!

You are God. That is all you need to know.

Now go out and play in the street! :)

Full raingear show out there. Good day to waste inside.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@robot said:
    Full raingear show out there. Good day to waste inside.

Yeah. I certainly wouldn't want to step in a poodle. :3

@Shoshin said:
    That's Buddhism for ya silver ...Always open and never judgemental :wink:

My moods change...how 'bout yours. o:)

@silver said:
    My moods change...how 'bout yours. o:)

No not really @silver....In all honesty I think through ongoing meditation practice, I've developed a habit of monitoring my thought patterns...So mood swings are few and far between...I would say my mood is consistent....

BTW @Tony_A_Simien post reminds me a Zen koan :
    "One hour and then another.

Inexorably march, step by step.

Whenever I meet you, we each smile.

But who is it who drags your corpse around?"

@Shoshin said:"No not really @silver....In all honesty I think through ongoing meditation practice, I've developed a habit of monitoring my thought patterns...So mood swings are few and far between...I would say my mood is consistent...."

Well, as you know I'm just a beginner, BUT I have noticed that my mood swings cover a smaller and smaller swath...I got my work cut out for me, though, I will admit.

Shoshin

Just when I think I have a handle on my moods, and can calm and soothe the angry breast through implementing the Buddha's example, I come in here, and.....

silverShoshinlobsterTosh

@silver said:
    Well, as you know I'm just a beginner, BUT I have noticed that my mood swings cover a smaller and smaller swath...I got my work cut out for me, though, I will admit.

I know what you mean...I've been there,,,However..............

"Practice Makes Perfect" @silver and perfection (in the conventional sense) is anicca (impermanent-the goal posts are constantly being moved), hence why (ongoing) "Practice Makes Perfect"

silver

@silver said:Well, as you know I'm just a beginner, BUT I have noticed that my mood swings cover a smaller and smaller swath...I got my work cut out for me, though, I will admit.

Yes, me too. It's like the moods and thoughts still occur but they happen in a larger space, sort of.

Shoshin
  • Came across this advice for online Buddhists ...
    http://miahansson.com/15-things-not-to-do-if-youre-an-online-buddhist/

Here is one not at random :3

Build up your case for the Truth with big fancy arguments. The truth is strong enough to stand on its own. And even if nobody gets it, it’s not like it’s going anywhere.

I also liked the messianic one and the comments.

We live an' learn (iz plan)

VastmindMenandros

I love it. Specifically and particularly, in no definite order, points 1 - 16. (Can anyone spot the mistake?)

• You mean we have to read it with our glasses ON?
    I knew there was a catch! :3

silver
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I have not logged in for ages and, oh my, I come across this thesis...
    Boy, you do love words...!!

This is a Buddhist site: do we actually care about this rocket science speech?????

Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate.......

edited September 2015

@federica said: I love it. Specifically and particularly, in no definite order, points 1 - 16. (Can anyone spot the mistake?)

I usually lose interest after the first 3 points.... ;)

silver
  • Could she be the next Dalai Lama?

Is she pretty?
    (I though the Dalai Lama had to be a reincarnation of the previous...? In which case, surely, 'she' isn't even born yet.

So that puts me out of the picture too, and I'm positively stunning.....)

Steve_Bsilver

I'm positively stunning

@federica -- No pun intended, of course. :)

Negative on that..... AC what you did there.... DC's very funny....