Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Movies that you enjoy

silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded.USA, Left coast. Veteran

Movies - funny movies - action movies - any movies that move you, make you lyao.

I figure we have a music thread - why not a movie thread?

I just watched Mystery Men and it's very funny - very corny - but I enjoy it each time I watch it.

Pick a genre - we'll see how this one flies.

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Nice thread!

I never watch movies anymore but my all time favourite film is "Withnail and I" with Richard E Grant.

His character is superb!

Here's a little snippet of Withnail's drink driving escapades......"here comes another f**ker!"

silverWalker
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

My favourite movie of all time is Ghostbusters - I can say every line, with every inflection and movement of each character. Much to my family's annoyment. So often I find myself watching it on my own ;)

Bunkssilver
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

That was great.

I don't know how it is in other countries, like do people in the UK and Australia watch much in the way of US movies or what? I honestly don't watch much in the way of foreign films of any kind for some reason...I guess it's what the media exposes in my neck of the woods. If someone mentions a movie name, I check out the reviews on RottenTomatoes.com.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@silver said:
    That was great.

I don't know how it is in other countries, like do people in the UK and Australia watch much in the way of US movies or what? I honestly don't watch much in the way of foreign films of any kind for some reason...I guess it's what the media exposes in my neck of the woods. If someone mentions a movie name, I check out the reviews on RottenTomatoes.com.

Australia is basically the 51st state @silver!! =)

We pretty much get everything that you guys get.......

silver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No; The UK Is America's 51st state. Australians still have minds of their own.
    Negative USA culture has infiltrated our society to abysmal levels...

I'm not going to elaborate, as it would be O/T. But it grates on my nerves how we no longer have a UK, so American/multi-national have we become...

In no particular order:

Blazing Saddles
    My Fair Lady
    The Princess Bride
    The Dambusters
    The (original) Wizard of Oz
    Singing in the Rain (and other great musicals)

Bunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

"Michael Collins" is a good film with one of my favourite actors Liam Neeson. It's historically pretty accurate too.

Walker
  • @silver said:
    I just watched Mystery Men and it's very funny - very corny - but I enjoy it each time I watch it.

I like Mystery Men.

'Watchmen' I enjoyed but it is quite violent. As is 'Kick-ass' and 'Guardians of the Galaxy' etc. To me it is like 'Tom and Jerry' violence or 'Kung Fu Hustle' which is comedic superheroes from China ...

However for a more gentle superhero ... 'Griff the Invisible' is fun.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1509803/

My favourite genre is SF.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Hey @Dhammachick, I loved Ghostbusters too -- My friends n I were driving to the beach one day and all windows open, the theme song playing on the radio, we're all singing along to it, when the guys in the car next to us in traffic started pointing and laughing, heheh. It was great fun. And Dan Akroyd is one of my favorite actors.

Kundo

@federica -- haven't heard of Dambusters - I'll check it out.

@lobster said:

I like sf too - as did my son. We both enjoy the Alien movies - the last two were the best - they just kept getting better.

Old slapstick I like best is the Three Stooges.

I haven't seen Watchman. I could watch King's movies like Green Mile and Shawshank over and over.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Shawshank is one of my daughter's favourites... I like it too, and I enjoy it, but I wouldn't take it to a desert Island with me.
    If ever THAT happened, and somebody asked my what my luxury item would be, it would be a whole collection of Ray Mears' Survival tips!

edited September 2015

Along the lines of campy sci fi fun is Night of the Comet. A sleeper I learned about when Siskel & Ebert were still on the telly. Another one I could watch again and again.

Contact w/Foster - big one for me, too.

The Postman - I thought it was exceptional movie - one of Kevin Kostner's best, tbh.

edited September 2015

@silver said: The Postman - I thought it was exceptional movie - one of Kevin Kostner's best, tbh.

I liked that one, a bit more imaginative than the usual post-apocalyptic formula. And the opening scene from "Contact" was brilliant ( I admit I also hold a torch for Jodi ).

• The movies which have had me laughing out loud lately are Ted and Kick-Ass.

The Fighter starring Mark Walberg is not a comedy but does make me laugh uproariously nonetheless. I grew up in the same city and Dickie was the closest thing I had to a friend for many years. The movie brought back a lot of memories that are laughable today. Come to think of it, Good Will Hunting hits me pretty much the same way.

Others... The Princess Bride, The Hangover, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and Our Idiot Brother.

We watch a lot of comedy specials - though not quite movies they do fill our video shelves. Particularly fond of Fluffy, Larry the Cable Guy, Jeff Dunham, and Ron White.

• My all time favorite

DO.png 148.8K
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2015

@federica said:
    Shawshank is one of my daughter's favourites... I like it too, and I enjoy it, but I wouldn't take it to a desert Island with me.
    If ever THAT happened, and somebody asked my what my luxury item would be, it would be a whole collection of Ray Mears' Survival tips!

I really enjoyed the Ray Mears Bushcraft series. It wasn't really the Bear Grylls/Les Stroud type of thing. Showed more how people lived comfortably with (and in) nature before the fossil fuel bonanza.

Some of my favourite movies are:

The Great Escape
    Waydowntown
    Trainspotting
    Snatch
    Force 10 from Navarone
    A Bridge Too Far
    V For Vandetta
    Children of Men

My son loved the movie Children of Men - I'd read the book and it seems totally different - (better) than the movie - so, I guess the movie appeals to guys, perhaps.

Walker
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

I've never read the book. I usually enjoy books more than their film adaptations. I'm sometimes disappointed by a film and usually have to remind myself that a film needs to be edited for duration and everything can't be faithfully transferred as far as characters and plot go. Sometimes I wish books would be made into mini-series instead of a 2 hour movie. The Stand by Stephen King was an excellent novel and the mini-series was very good, in my mind.

• @silver said:
    We both enjoy the Alien movies - the last two were the best - they just kept getting better.

Try 'District 9' if you have not seen it ... thought provoking ...

bookworm

I bought that movie - used from amazon - I watched a bit of the beginning but just couldn't get into it - so I donated it to my library. Maybe I'll check it out again some time.

Last night I watched MIBII - I love all 3...and I never tire of watching Terminator II.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

Some of my favourite not-super-serious, not art-housey films that I can watch again and again and have a good time:

• Shaun of the Dead
    • Kung Fu Hustle
    • Hardboiled (or most of John Woo's HK work really)
    • Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
    • Kiki's Delivery Service
    • Any of the original Star Wars trilogy
    • Amelie
    • Adventures of Tintin

Though that being said, I do really enjoy more "serious" films like anything by Wong Kar-Wai (In the Mood for Love, Chungking Express), Jean-Pierre Melville (Le Samourai), Akira Kurosawa (esp Seven Samurai, The Bad Sleep Well), Denis Villenueve (Polytechnique, Incendies). I'm also a big fan of Quentin Tarantino.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I watched the Sound of Music with my upstairs neighbour a few weeks ago, she's got it on DVD, it's her favourite movie...She grew up in Hungary under communist rule so missed out on a lot...

I don't really have favourite movies but as a child growing up in the UK, I enjoyed the following....

Mary Poppins

Sound of Music

Half a Sixpence

Lord of the Flies

Yes, that's a fond memory from my childhood, it was where I first learned about Cockneys ( well, American ones anyway ). ;)

federica
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Barefoot in the Park.

• There are a few full movies on youtube. Recently I watched blue jasmine on there. It was quite nice.

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I loved watching Disney movies when I was a kid, some of my favorites are, Hercules, Aladdin, Tarzan, and The Lion King. I like the cartoon Disney movies more then the Pixar ones.

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    edited September 2015

@lobster said: Try 'District 9' if you have not seen it ... thought provoking ...

I love District 9! I saw it in theaters 3 times, its the most awesome sci fi movie that I ever saw. The movie also has a great hero's journey.

I'm glad you brought it up, @bookworm - I was going to mention animated stuff. I have Aladdin - totally chears me up as well as Little Mermaid, my son and I saw Hercules a couple or three times in the theatres, but there are so many newer ones I haven't even seen or even know about because I don't go to theatres anymore. Oh, and special mention about A Bug's Life - the characters are just so cool.

bookworm
  • Beautiful and often strange (for many of us) cartoons from studio ghibli
    http://filmschoolrejects.com/features/studio-ghibli-movies-ranked.php

I recently saw 'When Marni was there'

bookworm

"Kingdom of Heaven" has been on UK TV again recently, it's one of those sprawling historical epics if you like that kind of thing.

• @silver said:
    My son loved the movie Children of Men - I'd read the book and it seems totally different - (better) than the movie - so, I guess the movie appeals to guys, perhaps.

My sons gave me a CD of Children of Men as a present some years ago. They said it's awesome but for me it's a moderate film.

edited September 2015

I watched Oblivion yesterday and I didn't think all that much of it, and I don't believe seeing it on the big screen would improve it much. I mean, how/why was there two of him? The romance was diluted, the story has a dash or three of the original Star Wars, and I think I recognized a couple other movie bits thrown in, sorry it just wasn't up to snuff.

While watching The Fighter, which is worth another watch and I do see the humor in it although I cringed a LOT, haha - I saw a trailer for Transformers, which I want to see, now.

edited September 2015

I also saw a trailer for Dead in Tombstone which got hideous reviews, but I want it for (1) the horses (gorgeous), (2) the action, (3) the costumes, and (4) the men.

dantepw
  • inyoinyo Explorer

Princess Mononoke is my favorite

bookwormInvincible_summer

Hey @Susanna, I didn't mean to rain on your movie (Oblivion) - I saw your comments in the What brought you to Buddhism thread. I just couldn't follow / figure out what was happening, so it puzzled me a bit. If I were a 'real' movie critic, I'd have to watch some of them forever to try and figure out what's going on.

So...my apologies - and welcome. B)

Hi. I just finished watching The Dead Zone (it was really good) - :star:

If you like science fiction, "Prometheus" is worth a look - it's the prequel to "Alien"

howmmo
  • No problem @silver, one man's meat is another's poison, as they say! Prometheus is very good as well.

silver

Thanks @Susanna. B)

I watched Kick-Ass yesterday, and I enjoyed it.

I finally watched the whole movie - District 9 - the first time I tried to watch it, the trick is to get past the beginning. Not bad.

I watched the exciting parts of Kick-Ass last night.

Watched The Expendables last night and enjoyed it.

Saw House on the Lake - interesting take on time split.

• LionduckLionduck Veteran
    edited October 2015

So many:

Princess Mononoke
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Tomb of the Fireflies
    Kingdom of Heaven
    All three of the Ring Trilogy
    The Hobbit is good, but I think the book is much better
    All the Monty Python farces
    Tut
    Disney's Fantasia [A must see]
    Almost anything by Charley Chaplin
    The Birds
    Psycho
    An Unfortunate Truth
    'Flag of our Fathers' together with 'Letters from Iwo'
    The Deer Hunter
    Full Metal Jacket

To name but a few.

Don't watch 'Dune'. Good story utterly destroyed. Read the book instead.

• I love the "The karate kid" movie series! :)

edited October 2015

I finally watched Shawn of the Dead last night, and it was pretty funny stuff.

It's a TV series, but I got Season 2 dvd set at my library: Grimm. I fell in love with the show - am waiting for Season 1 and 3 to arrive.

ps - I requested Tomb of the Fireflies - which they call Grave of the Fireflies - sounds very good but very sad, yeah.

Just finished watching Promethius...I know I'm getting jaded because I only covered my eyes when she was getting the operation.
    :fearful:

And I just finished watching Elysium - made me cry at the end. Wonderful story.

@Lionduck said: Don't watch 'Dune'. Good story utterly destroyed. Read the book instead.

Yes, the film was rubbish.

"Enemy at the gates" is interesting.

Walker
  • @silver said:
    And I just finished watching Elysium - made me cry at the end. Wonderful story.

The film is totally rubbish, especially the idiot end. The solution for the overpopulation and the species extinction is to boost the human overpopulation?

Invincible_summer
  • @Pöljä said:
    The film is totally rubbish, especially the idiot end. The solution for the overpopulation and the species extinction is to boost the human overpopulation?

I think she asked which movies you like. Not the ones you hate. Everyone hates at least one movie that others like.
    Two that I really like are The Big Lebowski and Django Unchained.
    Some good ones from events in the mid east are The Hurt Locker, Body of Lies, The Green Zone, which I like though the reviewers were hard on it. Also, Three Kings, which is fun.
    The list of movies that I've enjoyed is pretty long by now.

"Courage under fire" is worth a look.