Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

teachers

2»

Comments

• JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

Yes, i see your point. I come from an academic background, it's difficult to shake the worry of somehow doing it wrong etc maybe i should just get on with it

silver
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2015

@JohnMac said: Yes, i see your point. I come from an academic background, it's difficult to shake the worry of somehow doing it wrong etc maybe i should just get on with it

You don't have to do it all at once or achieve perfection. Work with one or two practice techniques and really get to grips with them. Keep it simple.

JohnMaclobsterStingRay
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@JohnMac

Have you asked yourself why you have chosen a particular practice of Buddhism that you believe requires the presence of a teacher....when you live (and apparently intend to stay) where there are none?

@how said:

@JohnMac

Have you asked yourself why you have chosen a particular practice of Buddhism that you believe requires the presence of a teacher....when you live (and apparently intend to stay) where there are none?

I have. I have studied some other traditions and the tibetan path resonates the most deeply with me. I can't change that. Whether or not I should try something less difficult, in my present circumstances is another question.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

^^^^^
    Stick with what resonates ... or anyway, that's my vote.

@genkaku said:
    ^^^^^

Stick with what resonates ... or anyway, that's my vote.

Me Too!
    Onwards! !

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

You never know what works out. I live in a small town and just when I had gotten confused enough, I saw a poster for a Buddhist teacher coming to my town. I was shocked. Our town is a long ways from any major city, and we are way up in the woods. But there he was, coming from 250 miles away. He is now my teacher. I see him a few times a year. I keep up with our sangha in person with a small local group, and online. I email and phone with him and his senior students (He spends 6 months a year in Asia). It works out quite well.

There are others I have never met, and likely will never meet, that I consider my teachers as well, but it is indeed very different, as they cannot call me on my incorrect perceptions and understandings. It is too easy to highlight what you like, and discard what you don't like or don't understand when you don't have a personal relationship. Often, the stuff that triggers that response is exactly what you need to be looking at, yet you don't know how with some guidance. They also are very good at help with problems you might run into in meditation or your practice.

My teacher has an outlined curriculum with online and email support, which I enjoy and works well for me. The 6 months he spends here, he follows a curriculum teaching (last year he did Lojong, for example). I live too far to get there very often, though I sure wish I could. But I am grateful for having a teacher, even if I only see him sometimes.

WalkerlobsterStingRay

Excellent, I'm hoping for something similar !

StingRay
  • JohnMac I do a TB sangha over the internet. Here's the teacher's educational site on FB known as Buddhism Connect. I think there is information there about her beginners online course Discovering the Heart of Buddhism. https://www.facebook.com/BuddhismConnect/?fref=ts

Seems it's the only alternative for you to get involved online since there are no TB sanghas near you.

• @SpinyNorman said:
    You don't have to do it all at once or achieve perfection. Work with one or two practice techniques and really get to grips with them. Keep it simple.

Good advice. The simplest 'blessing' sadhana often done by the most experienced tantrikas is Chenresig sadhana.

It uses the mantra 'OM MANI PEME HUM'
    https://www.kagyu.org/kagyulineage/buddhism/dev/dev01.php

StingRay

@Jeffrey said:
    JohnMac I do a TB sangha over the internet. Here's the teacher's educational site on FB known as Buddhism Connect. I think there is information there about her beginners online course Discovering the Heart of Buddhism. https://www.facebook.com/BuddhismConnect/?fref=ts

Seems it's the only alternative for you to get involved online since there are no TB sanghas near you.

Thank you Jeffrey, very helpful, I'll check it out, might be just the Ticket! !

StingRay

@lobster, there's a lifetime of practice in that alone. I think I've got plenty to be getting on with

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@JohnMac said: Thank you Jeffrey, very helpful, I'll check it out, might be just the Ticket! !

Jeffrey works on commission for new referrals by the way. ;)

StingRay

Am hoping for 'mates rates' !

lobsterStingRay
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2015

@JohnMac said:
    @lobster, there's a lifetime of practice in that alone. I think I've got plenty to be getting on with

Yes.

I once met someone on Tantric retreat. They had been practicing for years. All day people had been telling in hushed secrecy of their deep initiations, current practice, latest lama, favourite book etc.

This person had attended a teaching on Chenresig early on. He had been told it was a complete path to enlightenment. So he attended other teachings and initiations, which are equally complete but attended to Chenresig as his sadhana. Job done by doing. Great doubt may come up for the intellectual. Great benefit for those devoted ... all the usual arisings ...

Do or do not. There is no try.
    Bodhi Yoda
    http://www.chenrezigproject.org/teacherpages/bio_yoda.htm

Excellent Lobster! I'm starting to see the trees through the Wood! Chenrezig is something i have neglected, i suppose due to the typical human failing of wanting always to move on and up.In this case i think less is more, just do. Sorry for typos big hands small Tablet! I suppose the temptation is always to look for the mystical deep initiations etc, but the most ground is gained by just doing i think

Sins of commission are often much more informative than sins of omission.

StingRaylobster

Spot on

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2015

An analogy perhaps. When I was jogging regularly a few years ago, I was unprepared for how externally a jog looks pretty much the same but internally so much occurs. Every run is different.

Setting up a routine of running/meditating is a disciplined experiential habit. It is an effort sometimes (for me running was always an effort). However with running the injuries outweighed the advantages, I eventually had to switch to walking, as I lost the ability to walk long distances for a while ... Part of that was through bad practice ... That is why we learn good practice ...

OK meditation time ... B)

JohnMac
  • Just finished my evening chanting/meditation/whatever you want to label it.

You are right @lobster - on the outside, all looks the same (sounds pretty much the same too); but on the inside, oh does the world shine, spin, sing,...
    Just as in jogging or walking, or just about anything else worth doing, good practice is key.

Peace to all

JohnMaclobster
  • @JohnMac said:
    What does it mean, really, to have a Teacher?

It means maturity and the recognition capacity has arisen. A teacher is not someone who:

• sermonises what can be read often in a more articulate format in book or web based material
    • is as superficial and shallow as us
    • a charismatic and exotic fantasy, colluding and developing unhelpful dharma attachments

A teacher is someone who:

• knows
    • presents that knowing in a way we can assimilate
    • redundant as quickly as possible

Most of us hanker after celebrity, all knowing, kindly and patient dharmaists. Why?
    Perhaps we are not yet genuine students ...

JohnMac

knows
    presents that knowing in a way we can assimilate

Good luck with that.

@genkaku said:

knows
    presents that knowing in a way we can assimilate

Good luck with that.

Indeed!

• I was aware of the nature of who was to become my teacher as soon as he entered the computing class I was teaching.
    Ostensibly, outwardly just another student. However through mindfullness I was able to discern the inner nature.

During the time we were friends, spiritual matters were hardly ever even touched upon. We spent a lot of time travelling to locations in London. It was during this time that I learned many things about behavour, qualities and the responsibilities available to solitary, hidden Buddhas.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratyekabuddha

For example when sitting on a bus or elsewhere his hands were open and often turned upward. This did not draw attention, mostly he deflected attention. I was aware that it was not affectation but genuine open 'mudra' expressed quite naturally.

For me to do this would be affectation. However yesterday many years later, it began to feel natural.

The idea that the 'oral tradition' is spoken does not cover the range of the unsaid.

Vastmind