Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Update on Thay-- January 8, 2016

Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
WalkerVastmindlobsterShoshin

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

I was glad to hear he returned home. At the bottom of the OP link, there's a recent pic. I felt such mixed emotions. I felt love, joy and compassion for seeing my Teacher...but my mind instantly started comparing how different he looked than the last time I saw him. His mortality through all this didn't hit me until I saw this pic. The eyeball sense kicked me in the jaw.

He would want me to go have a cup of tea right now and stop at the bell.

I will do both.

Love you, Thay. Gratitude for all the teachings I have received from him, and the entire Sangha.

NeleStraight_ManShoshin
  • NeleNele Veteran

Yes, the picture is a bit of a shock, seeing how the stroke has affected his physical appearance. I love that he is surrounded by smiling youth; in one of his books, he said that the young should be especially encouraged in Buddhism because they have so much to give, and time ahead of them. At the time I was sniffy about that because, hey, I wasn't young but wanted to be encouraged too! How silly of me.

Vastmindlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It's evident that he - just like many of us - was not intending to die, and obviously had no desire to do so.... He readily accepted the therapy, and knuckled under and did the work.
    If we're honest, it's doubtful he will ever fully recover from this incident, and return to being the Thay everyone remembers he was.
    And I'm absolutely 100% certain that he is well aware that was a 'dress rehearsal' for the real thing.

I am truly grateful that he is at home, where he belongs, among those who love, cherish, support and look to him....

But it would be best to acknowledge that The Great Teacher's days are numbered.

But then again - who's aren't...?

VastmindlobstersilverStraight_Man
  • @Nele said:
    Yes, the picture is a bit of a shock, seeing how the stroke has affected his physical appearance. I love that he is surrounded by smiling youth; in one of his books, he said that the young should be especially encouraged in Buddhism because they have so much to give, and time ahead of them. At the time I was sniffy about that because, hey, I wasn't young but wanted to be encouraged too! How silly of me.

<3
    The very old/sick have death/mortality to offer us. The vital have all potential to remind us.

The crazy should be encouraged to balance us, the dying to unleash our compassion. The well to improve our health. The wise to stimulate our inner jedi ... and so on ...

Bravo Thay. Thay nacious spirit!

Thanks @Nele <3

Nele