Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sutra Activity (Study/Activity)

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

'undeify'? Since when has Buddha Nature been 'Deified'....? :confused:

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Why indeed...

I think intent is a big factor. The more we expect the more we continue to grasp.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited January 2016

@Carlita said:

@David said:

I think to undeify buddhanature is just call it self. A lot of times I try to use True Self. It takes the focus off the physical Buddha and more on the Buddha Dharma within.

That could work. I just remember it is a verb and not physical or likely even personal.

Like the difference between a creator god and the Tao.

Carlita

@federica said:
    'undeify'? Since when has Buddha Nature been 'Deified'....? :confused:

I just meant that the label could seem to imply a personality of sorts behind it.

Still a decent label in my books.

• CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

needs a new sutta?? anyone?

• Karaniya Metta Sutta: The Buddha's Words on Loving-Kindness

This is what should be done By one who is skilled in goodness, And who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, Straightforward and gentle in speech, Humble and not conceited, Contented and easily satisfied, Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm and wise and skillful, Not proud or demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing That the wise would later reprove. Wishing: In gladness and in safety, May all beings be at ease. Whatever living beings there may be; Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none, The great or the mighty, medium, short or small, The seen and the unseen, Those living near and far away, Those born and to-be-born — May all beings be at ease! Let none deceive another, Or despise any being in any state. Let none through anger or ill-will Wish harm upon another. Even as a mother protects with her life Her child, her only child, So with a boundless heart Should one cherish all living beings; Radiating kindness over the entire world: Spreading upwards to the skies, And downwards to the depths; Outwards and unbounded, Freed from hatred and ill-will. Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down Free from drowsiness, One should sustain this recollection. This is said to be the sublime abiding. By not holding to fixed views, The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision, Being freed from all sense desires, Is not born again into this world.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.08.amar.html

rohit
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I don't see that there's anything else one could possibly add to that....... <3

Carlita

I guess we can talk about ways to apply these thins to our daily life?

Ah, now, see...? That's the point.
    We shouldn't be 'applying them to daily Life'. They should BE - daily life.
    This should be the very core, and essence of our existence, our raison d'être.
    We should be living this, not applying it.

As the great Yogi Yoda said, " 'Do' or 'Do Not'. There IS no 'Try' "

.....When I manage to achieve this, I'll be sure to let you know!!

edited February 2016

@federica said:
    Ah, now, see...? That's the point.
    We shouldn't be 'applying them to daily Life'. They should BE - daily life.
    This should be the very core, and essence of our existence, our raison d'être.
    We should be living this, not applying it.

As the great Yogi Yoda said, " 'Do' or 'Do Not'. There IS no 'Try' "

.....When I manage to achieve this, I'll be sure to let you know!!

Isnt living, applying? Like if I want to apply humbleness to my life I find ways to be humble? When I think apply, I think action. When I think I am my True Self, I cant be unless I act.

Good quote: "Beliefs dont make you a better person; your behavior does." ~Sukhraj Dhillon

Not saying true True Self are beliefs. What makes us a better person, our True Self-BE is our actions.

Wouldnt you think so?

edited February 2016

No, Living isn't applying... Well, I guess, by my definition, it isn't... Applying, to me, means that we have a bearing on something, we administer when needed. Living means there is no interruption in the application.... Maybe I'm over-thinking it.... I think we're on the same page! :D

Maybe find ways to share how one or more of the attributes described in the su> @federica said:

No, Living isn't applying... Well, I guess, by my definition, it isn't... Applying, to me, means that we have a bearing on something, we administer when needed. Living means there is no interruption in the application.... Maybe I'm over-thinking it.... I think we're on the same page! :D

haha. we have different definitions. Applying (to apply) is a verb. I apply paint on my wall. So, by reading The Buddha's teachings, I am learning new things as well as about myself. Thats what learning does. We find ways that The Buddha taught that we may not have seen in our perspectives. So we apply or put to practice (here we go: put to practice) the teachings we adopt as Who we are. That is why we Are the teachings. We apply them. They are us because of our behaviors not because of our faith/trust.

All about actions. (Right?)

Oh yes. Right (appropriate, suitable, commendable) Action + Right (ditto) Effort.... The Eightfold Path is ever-present... <3

Carlita

New Sutra
    palicanon.org/index.php/sutta-pitaka/khuddaka-nikaya/100-udana/916-ud-6-4-tittha-sutta-sectarians-1

This is a long one. The author titled it "The Blind Men and the Elephant"

• If we think of the dharma as an elephant and us as blind, we will develop a model of the complete teaching by studying the parts.

Insisting the part is the Dharma Elephant will result in internal and external strife ...

rohit
  • I suppose this is true for anything in life: we always tend to jump to conclusions and give opinions even though we rarely have a full understanding of the subject.

lobsterJulesvincent