Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Donation Web-sites

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran

Hi All,

Any good donation web-sites you know about? Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

In what sense? Donation for what? Charities?

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

@federica said:
    In what sense? Donation for what? Charities?

yah

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

You could try to find some worthy Kickstarter projects to back, that way you are supporting passionate people in doing what they love.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2016

The Spiny Seagull Project needs some financial assistance. We are providing assistance to economic migrant gulls from the EU. The problem is that they are fussy eaters and insist on takeaway food. :p
    Some of these gulls drift into petty crime unfortunately:

£100 for fish and chip suppers will feed these chicks for nearly a week, so please give generously:

NB Press reports that a large proportion of donations to SSP are actually spent on ice-cream are entirely unfounded.

WalkerlobsterSwaroop
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2016

You are too altruistic @SpinyNorman :p
    I will be providing swiss bank account details to support my 'sardines for lobster' dana fund. :3

... Meanwhile last time I checked [yep just checked google] existence is still suffering, loads of donation opportunities for the flush ... (flush - having excessive money) o:)

Swaroop
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Or donate to Wikipedia... Now that is a worthy cause, and entirely funded by donations...

• RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

there is probably a women's crisis center near your place of residence. These types of agencies are always needing donations to help fun advocacy for their court cases, protective orders from violent partners, therapy sessions with victims, surveillance, groceries for the shelter, etc. A really good cause to donate time or money to.

I used to be in a group that would put on musical numbers for the old folks' homes around town. It was SO COOL to be a sparkly happy bit of someone's day like that. My Shih Tzu is a big star at my GPa's old rehab place, too. :)

You should also consider donating to org like "Medicins sans frontiers" or "heifer int'l"

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

i would love to donate my time. but my current circumstances of software engineer job does not give me sufficient time to donate to charity causes. moreover here in India, these type of voluntary activities though occur are not that common. then come the things like searching for these activities, taking time out for them - these thoughts kind of become so heavy for me, that i drop the idea of spending time in these charitable acts of spending time with older people - i am a lazy person in this direction.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited June 2016

I usually go with things I am interested in, people I can help directly, local food pantries and so on. I do give occasionally to things like the Red Cross but I am not excited about how the vast majority of them use the donations. Not just in what they pay executives, but in explaining what happened to all the money. Where did the millions go that were donated in the Haiti earthquake relief? No one seems to know.

So I try to help on a smaller scale. I donate money, items and sometimes time to the local food shelf/pantry. I buy extra school supplies and donate to classrooms when I am shopping for my own kids. I donate to local animal shelters. I watch for opportunities around me. I do help out with random go fund me pages pretty often, if I know what they are about. Be careful though there are some scammers out there. Just make sure you verify anything you donate to. There are always local places that need money more than anything. Women's shelters, refugee centers, daycares/preschools, even places where Buddhist monks and nuns need donations (you can "adopt" them but you can usually do one time donations to their centers, too) for school materials and so on. So many opportunities.

misecmisc1
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2016

@misecmisc1 said:> i would love to donate my time. but my current circumstances of software engineer job does not give me sufficient time to donate to charity causes.

I've found that finding something local is generally more meaningful. Another option would be to put some money in a savings account over a period of time and then donate it when you see something that you feel is worthwhile.

misecmisc1lobster

@misecmisc1 the two links I posted are money donation friendly. No prior experience needed. ;)

• @misecmisc1 said:
    Hi All,

Any good donation web-sites you know about? Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

www.charitynavigator.org

This site breaks down how much money individual charities and nonprofits put toward their cause, how transparent they are, etc.