Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

starting out - some advice?

newlotusnewlotus Australia Explorer
edited July 2016 in Buddhism Basics

Hi everyone,
A few months ago I started reading books on buddhism. Recently I have descovered a specific deity (tara) but now I am not sure how to incoperate this into my practise. Currently I have a personal mantra and meditate daily but it doesn't feel like enough. I am meant to be doing more?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Your whole waking time should be your practice. Everything you think, say and do, should be a reflection of your Effort. Mantra and Meditation is just a small part of your Path.

CinorjerCarlitaRuddyDuck9lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2016

hello <3

Tara is the quick way to incorprate dharma into our being ...
    I used to do a daily Tara practice that took over an hour to do. Least I could.

Tara sadhana
    http://opcoa.st/0VSP9

om tare tuttare ture soha

Cinorjer
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited July 2016

That said, there are different styles, and you should try to find a path that suits you. I think at a minimum it is important to include a certain amount of learning, starting with the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path. Perhaps you have already moved beyond the basics but they are deep teachings that can take years to truly strike home, and it is worth reflecting on them.

As @federica said, mindfulness during your waking time is an important part of the practice. At first try sitting mindfulness, then walking mindfulness, then later try to expand it to being continually mindful, but that is an advanced practice. Again this is a process of gradual deepening which can take years.

Mantra chanting and the Tibetan practice of deity yoga which is often applied to Buddha's and beings such as Tara sound like they are of interest to you. I'd suggest reading up on the Tibetan Vajrayana schools to see if any of them resonate with you. I'm afraid I don't know very much more about them though.

newlotusCinorjerRuddyDuck9
  • newlotusnewlotus Australia Explorer

That link looks great! Thank you @lobster
    @federica - i have been doing it throughout the day also, changing thinking being more compassionate ect. But I went to a Christian highschool so going to church and services was a part of that for us. It feels strange to do this alone without any guidence (apart from books and on here).

Cinorjer
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Oh tell me about it! I was born, raised fed, educated and immersed in a christian upbringing!
    I was Roman Catholic for a good for 40 years or so, before changing channels!

newlotusDairyLamaSteve_B
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@newlotus said:But I went to a Christian highschool so going to church and services was a part of that for us. It feels strange to do this alone without any guidence (apart from books and on here).

Yes, there is a sort of comforting social structure with the Christian churches. Are there any local Buddhist groups or centres you could visit? It's good to have contact with like-minded people, it's also a good way of finding more out about Buddhism. There are several members here who in live in your part of the world by the way.
    This site might be helpful, I have set it up for Australia but you will need to enter your province on the right-hand side.
    http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/country.php?country_id=18

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said: I was Roman Catholic for a good for 40 years or so, before changing channels!

I hadn't realised it was that long, I only managed 15 years. ;)

Part of it was obligatory, part voluntary. The obligatory was imaginary, the voluntary was illusory.

(Cor Blimeyly!)

Steve_B
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

@newlotus said:
    Currently I have a personal mantra and meditate daily but it doesn't feel like enough. I am meant to be doing more?

Very nice to have you here!

Maybe you don't need to worry about doing more, depending on what you mean by "more." Meditating daily is really great! Not sure more is needed, especially more intensity (when defined as how much of your day it requires). Over time you will encounter or recognize different aspects, or facets, that aren't now in your view at this early stage. As you fold these into your practice, you'll automatically be doing more.

No hurry to find it all today. It's all out there, waiting for you to discover it. Waiting, as it has been, for thousands of years.

Welcome.

• DakiniDakini Veteran

Mindfullness in how you interact with others, becoming aware of what motivates you in your interactions (ego? Emotion? or caring, compassion?), is a good practice for beginners.

Jeroen
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

@newlotus said:
    That link looks great! Thank you @lobster
    @federica - i have been doing it throughout the day also, changing thinking being more compassionate ect. But I went to a Christian highschool so going to church and services was a part of that for us. It feels strange to do this alone without any guidence (apart from books and on here).

The good news (from another who often feels "alone") is that you are never truly alone. Now that you're a part of this forum you have a whole internet sangha to refer to and converse with. Don't expect to figure everything out all at once. Study a little every day. Read lots. Compare different points of view. There is no one special way to enlightenment. There's a recent thread on this site for good youtube channels to check out. Go have fun with it. If Buddhism makes sense to you, then don't let the lack of Dogma or lack of nearby temple stop you from diving in. If you enjoyed aspects of your previous faith, there's nothing wrong with tying them into your practice. Check out Thich Nhat Hanh. He keeps a photo of Christ on his bench next to his Buddhas. :)

lobsterShim
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@newlotus said:
    I am meant to be doing more?

Oh yes ... we haz ox tail soup to find ;)
    http://opcoa.st/0Y33G

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2016

Tara is a practice taught to you by your teacher (you receive an "empowerment"). Tibetan Buddhists say that Vajrayana can have a negative impact on you unless you HAVE a live teacher to work with you. Theravadan has no such restrictions, and from what I have seen is just as effective is (although even there, I knew someone who practiced for 10 years without getting insights .. but started to after about a year of weekly lessons from a bhante/Theravadan monk).

RuddyDuck9