Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

seven type of people

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited August 2016 in Buddhism Basics

"Monks, seven types of individuals are to be found existing in the world. Which seven?

"There is the case where an individual sinks down once and stays sunk. There is the case where an individual, on coming to the surface, sinks down again. There is the case where an individual, on coming to the surface, stays there. There is the case where an individual, on coming to the surface, opens his eyes & looks around. There is the case where an individual, on coming to the surface, heads across. There is the case where an individual, on coming to the surface, gains a foothold. Then there is the case where an individual, on coming to the surface, crosses over, reaches the far shore, stands on high ground, a brahman.

when i read this sutta i thought it is good if we know where we stands right now

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an07/an07.015.than.html

those who are interested can read udakupama sutta

Bunkslobster

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2016

Only seven? Even astrologers have twelve.

The Eighth type of person reaches the far shore and turns back to what is now the far shore. Why? Rafts to repair, blind swimmers to direct to rafts, people on the near shore wasting efforts, requiring help with finding logs from the trees ...

Davidperson
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 2016

All this talk of sinking and swimming. Hmm. I swim maybe 4-5 times a year, and I generally don't sink. So I don't know where that would place me, lol.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

And all this because someone stole the raft, obviously.....

Jeroen
  • when i read this sutta i thought it is good if we know where we stands right now

:) It is good to stand somewhere else.

• @lobster said:

when i read this sutta i thought it is good if we know where we stands right now

:) It is good to stand somewhere else.

continue changing the place until U 'stands on high ground, a brahman'
    <3