Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Settlement

The mind, body and emotions settle, clue: through practice. Then what? We start to notice certain things:

• An affinity and harmonisation with stillness, placidity and equanimity.
  • The agitation, turmoil, Dukkha, unsettled around us.
  • A capacity to listen, observe, feel and be alive.
  • An intention to improve, facilitate, transcend and surmount.

What if anything, have you noticed?

personnamarupaCinorjer

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Great query, @lobster.

I've noticed those 4 things and they vary in intensity but yeah, have noticed and acknowledged and felt elation over them sometimes. Before, I just didn't notice 'life' and that life was passing me by.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@lobster said:

Nothing.......

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Actually, I have failed to notice the difference in myself, but have seen the difference WITH other people.
    Maybe that's th difference in myself.

lobster
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran

I took some deep breaths (though not literally) and decided to not get upset or uptight or needing things to go exactly my way -- and things worked out just fine and were much more enjoyable than had I been uptight and combative. Who knew? LOL

So, I think I'll try to stick with that approach if I can handle it and remember to let things be.

Letting go is not for sissies. ;-)

Cinorjer
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Letting go is not for sissies ;)

If ever there was a tag punch-line for Buddhists, that one qualifies as a definite contender!

lobsterCinorjer
  • @federica said:
    Actually, I have failed to notice the difference in myself, but have seen the difference WITH other people.
    Maybe that's th difference in myself.

Inside out. Outside in. Same difference. B)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I have the sense of a point of stillness, like the eye of a storm. Some might call it Cod, but I find such concepts very fishy. :p

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2016

The concept of Almighty Cod (Hallowed be Her Gills) is something, if settled, we can explore. As is mind, Mind, Body, Bodhi, Anger, Hunger, Lust, Listfulness etc.

Only a still or monkey settled, trained mind can do this. The rest of us are busy chasing silly fish, our own tales and tail etc. ... maybe that is just me :3

The Sangha in this sense is the community settlement. When we settle we become 'gathered' in the Path.

Buddhism = simple common sense ...

person
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I think there is a difference between genuine investigation and clutching at metaphysical straws.

person
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

When I say nothing "I" mean just that....Things come and go, no need to 'do' anything, just "sit"...Awareness will take care of the rest...

Trying to pin down experience in a way for others to understand, is in effect, just making things up....What's done is done & what will be will be.....

However the by-product of the ongoing sitting experience, is a somewhat contented state of mind... Going with the flow of the experience and not wishing to change it, for it will change of its own accord....

• ^^. Contentment is a good one.

Here are some more that I have experienced:

• Increased calm (related to contentment)
    • Awareness of serendipity
    • Allowing (letting go as mentioned)
    • More smiling :)
    Shoshin
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran
    edited September 2016

@lobster said: The mind, body and emotions settle, clue: through practice. Then what? We start to notice certain things:

An affinity and harmonisation with stillness, placidity and equanimity.

The agitation, turmoil, Dukkha, unsettled around us.
    A capacity to listen, observe, feel and be alive.
    An intention to improve, facilitate, transcend and surmount.

What? Did you say something? I hadn't notices. ;)<3

[Actually, quit nice)

namarupaCinorjerlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

For me, much of this centres around what happens when I wake up. Waking from sleep is a supremely peaceful moment, when the body and mind have been totally at rest, and if you go straight from sleep to a kind of meditative state, you can often carry this peace with you for quite a while.

Then where I try to go is I try to bring more awareness to this state without more thought. To gradually allow the mists to clear, but let the peace stay, to keep the mind becalmed. It's a gradual opening of the senses, without hurrying or clinging or desire to move while becoming more mindful of what is going on inside.

It's really beautiful, how long it lasts depends on what happens during the day. At some point your equilibrium will be tested by events, which is always interesting.

BunksCinorjer
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I have found I can sit with emotions and not have to act them out. They just pass of their own accord.

I am also more tolerant and patient with others as I notice the afflictions in them more and understand they often have little control over their behaviour. I need to be a bit more patient and tolerant with myself too.

lobsterCinorjer
  • Trying to pin down experience in a way for others to understand, is in effect, just making things up....What's done is done & what will be will be.....

It is also important to share and relate any knowing, realisation and results as it confirms and inspires.

In some ways the let be, Taoist or Theravadin approach of Que Sera, sera, observation of being, can be appropriate or too passive. As usual we have to continually make up our own minds, asssuming such a thing exists ...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Try this... I find it very relaxing, like something opens inside

• Suiseki7Suiseki7 Pennsylvania, USA Explorer

Seeing everyone and everything as myself. The gentle acceptance of my own ignorance and ego which has obscured the truth for so long, I now see all beings in the same light. They ARE the mirror of my soul.

I reflect upon the poisons of Passion, Aggression and Ignorance. They vaporize into nothingness as I recite softly- Simply the sacred syllable OM.

Mind clears, unmanifest potential becomes real to me. True compassion arises. Only THIS is real. Purity. No past, present or future can harm me for I am no longer there. I never really was for I am but a dream.

Sitting in the lap of the Buddha- I become One with all things.

Tat tsvam asi. (That thou art)

OM- Shanti Shanti Shanti

G:

• Tat tsvam asi. (That thou art)

You ain't that. o:)