Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sutta

Hi all
I would be grateful for your recommendations on the best collection of buddhist suttas available in one book or one volume.
I am broadening my study of buddhism and looking forward to getting stuck in.
Much appreciated.
Hozan.

Comments

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Hi, @Hozan =)

One compilation that seems to be popular these days is Bhikkhu Bodhi's "In the Buddha's Words."
    It is a strictly Theravada selection.

So are Bhikkhu Nanamoli's "The Buddha's Teaching in his own Words," which is a tiny selection of suttas from his bigger biography on the Buddha and Ananda Coomaraswamy's "The Living Thoughts of Gautama the Buddha."

There is a famous compilation of excerpts by Nyanatiloka Thera called "The Word of the Buddha," which is nowadays published under "The Buddha's Path to Deliverance."

More comprehensive of other Buddhist schools are Christmas Humphreys' "The Wisdom of Buddhism" and Edward Conze's "Buddhist Texts through the Ages" (now published also as "Buddhist Scriptures")

Also Thich Nhat Hanh's "Awakening of the Heart," which is a compilation of the most popular suttas from different schools, with a very thorough analysis.

My favourite, though extremely dated, are F.L. Woodward's "Some Sayings of the Buddha" (1925) and Warren's "Buddhism in Translations" (1896).

Hozanelcra1goJeroenBunks
  • Thank you @DhammaDragon . I am spoiled for choice. Thank you so much! ??

Buddhadragon
  • The site, dhammatalks.org, provides free ebooks of Thanissaro's translations, along with other resources, such as his essays and study guides. The translations are available in a single ebook, "A Handful of Leaves", or by volume. All the translations and resources have a Thai Forest slant.

HozanCarlita
  • Thank you @Snakeskin . Very much appreciated. ???

• CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@Hozan said:
    Hi all
    I would be grateful for your recommendations on the best collection of buddhist suttas available in one book or one volume.
    Much appreciated.
    Hozan.

Im reading so far front to back In The Buddha's Words
    http://www.wisdompubs.org/book/buddha’s-words

They are a good collection. Get them cheeper on Amazon though especially if you have a Prime account.

Hozan
  • Thank you @Carlita . Much appreciated. ???

Carlita
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

How about the "Heart Sutra" in video clip song 'form' (pun intended ;) )

It sums up the Buddha Dharma ....in a nutshell :)

HozanBuddhadragon
  • Thank you so much @Shoshin . Really appreciate it. ???

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

That's a beautiful video... I love Imee Ooi... I have her Metta Chant too (That's a familiar theme!!) and listen to it at least once a week (I'm trying to memorise the words...) I also love the illustrations... One by the same artist of Green Tara, is my 'phone screensaver....

Shoshin
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

The author of this artwork is the Chinese artist Zeng Hao.
    These illustrations belong in Australian healer Alana Fairchild's "Kuan Yin Oracle."
    They are available under the form of a set of cards and a book.
    I like this work so much I bought both <3

HozanShoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Oh superb, @DhammaDragon ! I shall have to invest likewise! Thanks for the info!

Buddhadragon