Just found out our beloved family 4 yo Golden Retriever “Shaddow” likely had a bone tumor. Biopsy in a week to confirm. But prognosis isn’t good.
I’m having a really hard time with it. In part because I lost another golden retriever to cancer 4 years ago. He went fast though.
How do you deal with it? Based on my reading survival rate isn’t good, even with treatment. Treatment could cost $5-6k, which I don’t have to spare. But even I spend it, it will likely prolong his life 6 months to a year. If I don’t, his condition is extremely painful. Medication isn’t much of an option.
How do I watch him die, in pain? How do I make the decision to put him down and end the pain?
It’s a little early, but I can’t do either.
How do you decide? How do you deal with that?